Class of 2025 - SF Aaron Womack (WI) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (9/30/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 SF Aaron Womack (WI) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (9/30/24)

For a comparison, this kid plays very similar to Bell. Bell is a couple inches taller. But their games are very similar. Strong shooters, athletic, needed time in weight room, rebounding is not a strong suit. Womack will be playing the 2-3. Bell is a 3-4 but style of play, strengths and weaknesses are VERY similar
That’s who I thought of immediately when I saw his tape.

Edit: although I did see him grab a rebound in the tape. ;) so he’s got that going for him. Which is nice.

Patterson cannot play. JB was just taking guys at the end.
Yep. Patterson will still be a 7 footer work in progress after his senior year. He flat out cannot play and lacks basketball instincts, and he's not the first 7 footer nor the last to have high expectations due to his size.

So

so is Abaev still on the table?
Right now. We are trying. How many schools get their first choice? We have got ours twice in two years. People get all upset if we miss on out top targets at any of the positions we are going for. It isn't realistic and will only lead to disappointment. If we get a 5 star a year, I for one will be thrilled.

From Waters article: By the time Womack left Syracuse, he was receiving recruiting phone calls from several other high-major schools, but the 6-foot-5 shooting guard had made up his mind.

I swear this has happened many times over the years to us whenever we get out there first and discover an under the radar recruit. Let's not knock the kid and be glad that he chose us and shows promise.

This kid does remind me a lot of Chris Bell, except that he is shorter and can drive to the basket a bit. In the past few years, most of our players could either shoot or drive to the basket. None of them could do both. I think it's worth taking a shot on a guy that has a more complete skill set, even if he isn't ready to contribute right away.

That list is... horrific. Period.
I mean maybe. But I see a bunch of teams playing on week one of the NCAA Tournament the last few years when we are sitting home watching.

Looking at this kid in a vacuum and not worrying about who we missed out on, I like it. The film is actually pretty impressive more so than some higher ranked guys who we have gotten in the past like Moyer and Jalen Carey, to name two, where when you watched the film, you wondered how they could be so highly ranked. We’ve done well with some under recruited guys, Moten and Joseph are two that come to mind, and it costs us nothing to take a chance with this guy. He has skills, I guess I’m in the vast minority but I’m excited with this surprise get.
agreed

im not too up to date on who is who in this recruiting class

but I feel like people in this thread are way too focused on the ratings ...they really dont mean much.

i mean Ja Morant was a zero star unranked player...steph curry was a 3 star and apparently not even in the top 50 PGs in hs class...STEPH CURRY!!

if that doesnt tell you what you need to know, idk what to tell you.

there's simply way too many players across the country for the rankings to be accurate...

unfortunately SU hasnt really hit too well on some guys that were lower rated in the past couple years...so I get that there's some whiplash here...but it does happen frequently that lower rated guys blow up in NCAABB. do I want 5 stars? yeah...obviously...but schools like kentucky havent won much lately, either.

when i watch Womoack's tape, there's a lot to like: he moves like a guy under 6 feet (in a good way)...his shot is wet...and there's a good chance he keeps rowing and comes in around 6'8" or whatever...players that coordinated at his height are not really that common, imo (assuming he keeps growing)

my hope is that they had womack run with the current team unofficially and he did well...so they scooped him up.

as fa as missing out on the other recruits...it happens. these guys have so many options...its a numbers game. i'd rather them swing and miss than not swing at all.

keep going for the 5 stars.

team just needs to have a great season and the 5 stars will come.

what are people expecting from a team that hasnt made the tourney in 3 years????

this coming season is huge. have a great season and it changes everything, imo

Right now. We are trying. How many schools get their first choice? We have got ours twice in two years. People get all upset if we miss on out top targets at any of the positions we are going for. It isn't realistic and will only lead to disappointment. If we get a 5 star a year, I for one will be thrilled.
Oh I’m not upset at all. We’re going to end up with one 5star, top ten caliber kid in White and a borderline 5 star who when it’s all said in done may make that two 5 stars in Kiyan. I was just curious on the standing of us with him/correlation.

His tape shows his skill level and versatility. He has a better handle than Bell. He has a smooth game. I really like his potential.
Agree with this. Also has great assist numbers. Far better passer than Bell.

Both are really skinny. I hope Aaron is able to put on muscle better than Chris has been able to.

Nice highlight.

For a 6'5" guy, he seems to have really long arms and good timing on going for blocks.

Nice shooting stroke, high and quick release.

Hard to say how good he is with that low quality of competition.

He definitely had no fear of going coast to coast on rebounds against that team. ;)

His tape looks good. I suspect based upon what it is shown that he is working with sophisticated trainers year round. Everyone matures at different rates and some of those kids come in on a December night from a MAC or A10 school and make us squirm for 2 hours. Kerr on the football team came in with no stars and showed acceleration, burst and wiggle on his 40 yard return that made me hunger for more. Trust the coaches. Trust Kline. Trust the process. I suspect we may be pleasantly surprised in 3 years. Best of all…he really really wants to be here (whereas a lot of the guys on last year’s team wanted to be anywhere but here).

Oh I’m not upset at all. We’re going to end up with one 5star, top ten caliber kid in White and a borderline 5 star who when it’s all said in done may make that two 5 stars in Kiyan. I was just curious on the standing of us with him/correlation.
I wasn't talking about you. Just the tenor of the board. We are doing fine. It is better to have this kid than to not have him.

Okay, there is no connection to us not getting anyone with us taking this kid. We have had our eye on him for a while. Thought Marq might offer and if they did, we didn't want to spend the effort recruiting him because he would go there. They didn't. We pounced. Now, the good news is that he can shoot. And that he is probably still growing. His dad is 6'8. And he has grown 3 inches in the last year. He needs to get stronger but he could see some time next year because he can shoot. He isn't a 5 star recruit. But, he didn't cost a lot either. This has nothing to do with Anthony. I expect us to sign him. Guys, it's okay to get guys like this.
Great post. Totally agree. He seems like good player.

who knows? Possible Lawrence Moten 2.0.?
True story. Years ago, I was talking to this guy very close to the program and he kept talking to me about Moten. I knew B.C. had seen Moten and were not at all impressed. I finally screamed at this guy, I don't want to hear any more about Moten.

True story. Years ago, I was talking to this guy very close to the program and he kept talking to me about Moten. I knew B.C. had seen Moten and were not at all impressed. I finally screamed at this guy, I don't want to hear any more about Moten.
Unfortunately, you're still hearing about him today... Sorry, buddy :)

I welcome the young man. A little history lesson for the unhappy. Sherman Douglas has one D1 offer. It was from SU. Lawrence Moten was our fifth best recruit and not very heavily recruited. We did ok with under the radar recruits in the past. I hope this player is awesome as well.

what

No shade on this kid at all, but weren't we getting this caliber of recruit when JB stopped trying to recruit?

You never know. They might see another Chris Bell here. You can't have too many shooters, and so many of them exist outside the Top 40-50 in the HS rankings.

Guys often get clumsy for a while after growing three inches so quickly. It can make guys look less athletic while they are figuring things out.

At this point, when your first 3 options go elsewhere, you take your fourth option if you like him.

I'm curious to see if we still can get Abaev or if we're actually out.

It's starting to feel like rooting for the Kansas City Royals, when we're constantly hearing we can't compete in NIL.

If we add Anthony and a PG, I'm not so sure we still need another wing. Saddiq, Donnie will probably still be here (most 1-N-Done's actually take 2 or 3 years ..). We have that Serbian 4/5, Choppa, and there's Westry. Plus the portal.

who knows? Possible Lawrence Moten 2.0.?
That wasn’t a knock, i actually thought Woody could of been a better player if he had stayed and worked on his game instead of transferring and not elevating his game like he could of at Syracuse.

That wasn’t a knock, i actually thought Woody could have been a better player if he had stayed and worked on his game instead of transferring and not elevating his game like he could have at Syracuse.
I actually see Womack as an alternative for not getting Ryan Frost instead of not getting Shon Abaev. Both were pure shooters. Frost has other skills and playing higher competition where It is not clear about Womack yet. Could be a complement to Anthony or Moore.

Regarding Abaev, he is also more a 2/3 or even a point forward who needs the ball in his hands to make things happen. Don’t close the door yet on Abaev.