Class of 2019 - SF Anthony Duruji / Transferring from La Tech to Florida | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SF Anthony Duruji / Transferring from La Tech to Florida

Doesn’t seem like the best use of possibly our last scholarship when we need interior help immediately. But if one or more guys are fine, gotta fill those ships.

Might be an odd roster fit if Oshae, Eli, Guerrier, Marek and Braswell are here. That’s 4 SF’s that he’d join.

Buddy doesn’t necessarily need a scholarship since his dad is an employee.
JB could easily pay his room and board and use the scholarship on another player.
SU AD could give JB a 100k raise and basically pay for the free scholarship.

46.5" vertical is insane. michael jordan's was measured at 46"

i wonder who can jump higher, duruji or braswell? add eli to the list and the 2020-21 pg better be able to throw 'oops
And potentially Andre Jackson. That could be one hell of a high flying bunch.

Buddy doesn’t necessarily need a scholarship since his dad is an employee.
JB could easily pay his room and board and use the scholarship on another player.
SU AD could give JB a 100k raise and basically pay for the free scholarship.

Please don’t start this again. Buddy is never, ever going to “off scholarship”. End of story.

It's pretty rare for me to be genuinely excited about a potential transfer, but this guy would be a pretty exciting get IMO.

One thing I noticed in that YouTube video that's a little disappointing is that it seems like he's just nowhere near as explosive off one foot as he is off two. Looked like he pretty much always went to layups when he tried to jump off one foot rather than finishing above the rim. Probably limits his offensive upside a bit if that doesn't improve but the shotblocking has some Wes Johnson vibes to it and while I don't expect him to be a sharpshooter, he looks like he can at least keep defenses honest. Feel like we haven't had a guy like him on the backline defensively since at least Jerami Grant, if not Wes.

Would like to think we only add him if we've struck out on C's and PG's and or we have extra scholarships coming our way, but he also just might be a better talent than anyone else we can add at this point.

Probably limits his offensive upside a bit if that doesn't improve but the shotblocking has some Wes Johnson vibes to it and while I don't expect him to be a sharpshooter, he looks like he can at least keep defenses honest.
he did shoot nearly 40% from three as a freshman

he wouldnt be off scholarship b/c his dad is a university employee.

taking up a scholly just for ego would be asinine

I disagree. I work with college students every day, and it is surprising how easy it is to galvanize a group with a perceived injustice. A team is a fragile entity and things like this destroy team morale. Ego is a big part of athletics.

And we are talking about the 13th scholarship. We’re already speculating about losing players to transfer because of lack of playing time. Who are we going to get that has any value who will come to be the 13th man on the depth chart?

I disagree. I work with college students every day, and it is surprising how easy it is to galvanize a group with a perceived injustice. A team is a fragile entity and things like this destroy team morale. Ego is a big part of athletics.

And we are talking about the 13th scholarship. We’re already speculating about losing players to transfer because of lack of playing time. Who are we going to get that has any value who will come to be the 13th man on the depth chart?
you're saying he would care about using a scholarship due to his dad's lifelong employment despite playing 28+mpg next year?

yeah i doubt that.

Your position is well thought out, but feels like armchair psychology.

When this option was floated before the season, some posters expressed a similar viewpoint, pointing to the "legitimacy" of Buddy being on the squad somehow undermined if he weren't on scholarship.

Well, after his first year performance, nobody questions that anymore. Nor will his current / future teammates, opposing coaches / players, or anybody else. In fact, if Buddy went off scholarship and still was able to go to school for free so that his father could add another player to improve the team, the move would be universally lauded as being shrewd.

Jim Boeheim rarely uses a full allotment of scholarships. But consider our current situation: maybe they want to add a 5th year transfer AND Jesse Edwards, or the traditional transfer this thread is about. If we have the opportunity to free up an open scholarship, it would be foolish not to take advantage of that option rather than miss out on a player we want over "perceived injustice" or "fragile... team morale."

I'm willing to bet that Buddy would do it in a heartbeat if it meant adding another quality recruit, and nobody on the team would think twice about it beyond that. Buddy wants to win; so does his dad.

Again, I know it is unlikely -- JB doesn't usually have 13 scholarship players -- but maybe he would do that if we land a traditional transfer who has to sit out and needs to be stashed for a year.

Your position is well thought out, but feels like armchair psychology.

When this option was floated before the season, some posters expressed a similar viewpoint, pointing to the "legitimacy" of Buddy being on the squad somehow undermined if he weren't on scholarship.

Well, after his first year performance, nobody questions that anymore. Nor will his current / future teammates, opposing coaches / players, or anybody else. In fact, if Buddy went off scholarship and still was able to go to school for free so that his father could add another player to improve the team, the move would be universally lauded as being shrewd.

Jim Boeheim rarely uses a full allotment of scholarships. But consider our current situation: maybe they want to add a 5th year transfer AND Jesse Edwards, or the traditional transfer this thread is about. If we have the opportunity to free up an open scholarship, it would be foolish not to take advantage of that option rather than miss out on a player we want over "perceived injustice" or "fragile... team morale."

I'm willing to bet that Buddy would do it in a heartbeat if it meant adding another quality recruit, and nobody on the team would think twice about it beyond that. Buddy wants to win; so does his dad.

Again, I know it is unlikely -- JB doesn't usually have 13 scholarship players -- but maybe he would do that if we land a traditional transfer who has to sit out and needs to be stashed for a year.

I respect you as a poster and find your opinion on things to be well reasoned, but I disagree with everything in your post except for the last paragraph.

I respect you as a poster and find your opinion on things to be well reasoned, but I disagree with everything in your post except for the last paragraph.

I respect you as well but very much disagree that it would be the disaster that you're suggesting. But we should probably get back to Anthony.

Then agree to disagree -- I had the same reaction to your post [and not in a 'confrontational' way -- we just aren't on the same page on this topic, clearly].

Then agree to disagree -- I had the same reaction to your post [and not in a 'confrontational' way -- we just aren't on the same page on this topic, clearly].
I mean the suggestion of taking Buddy off scholarship is not meant at all as a dig at him as a player.
Patrick Beilen at WVU
Bryce Alford at UCLA
Billy Baron and Jimmy Baron at Rhode Island
Trey Ziegler at Central Michigan
Doug McDermott at Creighton
Bryce Drew at Valpo
All these kids weren’t on scholarship for their dad’s and it gave each team an extra scholarship player on the roster.
If we can add 2 players this is the way to do without kicking anyone off the team.
Nobody is saying this is to slight Buddy. It’s to add another scholarship player on the team.
Give JB a raise to pay for it. It’s smart roster management if their is a quality player out there.

I mean the suggestion of taking Buddy off scholarship is not meant at all as a dig at him as a player.
Patrick Beilen at WVU
Bryce Alford at UCLA
Billy Baron and Jimmy Baron at Rhode Island
Trey Ziegler at Central Michigan
Doug McDermott at Creighton
Bryce Drew at Valpo
All these kids weren’t on scholarship for their dad’s and it gave each team an extra scholarship player on the roster.
If we can add 2 players this is the way to do without kicking anyone off the team.
Nobody is saying this is to slight Buddy. It’s to add another scholarship player on the team.
Give JB a raise to pay for it. It’s smart roster management if their is a quality player out there.
Really. First guy I looked at, Bryce Alford, talked about the pressure to live up to his scholarship.
From Wikipedia:
"Fans began questioning Alford's role compared to the crowd-favorite LaVine's, and he felt pressure to justify his scholarship.[16][17][18] Alford cited two games that helped boost his..."

Oops...2nd guy I checked was Doug McDermott. 3 years on scholarship, and only extraordinary circumstances took him of scholarship
Taking a Star’s Scholarship Is Creighton’s Secret

Don't be so free with other people's money, and assumptions about what other people did. I found this stuff in under 5 minutes.
Google. Very cool tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom