Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Carey and JJ.
jonah-hill-yay.gif

I know I might catch some hate but I would pass on him. Not that he isn't talented and couldn't help eventually. I would just much rather have a transfer forward (an elite one at that) instead of Bunch (we still might do both but still)

I know I might catch some hate but I would pass on him. Not that he isn't talented and couldn't help eventually. I would just much rather have a transfer forward (an elite one at that) instead of Bunch (we still might do both but still)

Here's my take: Bunch is a streaky shooter who doesn't do much else. He's one dimensional, in the mold of Nichols / White [not saying he is as good order of magnitude as either of them]. He's a good athlete, but doesn't do much on the boards, has a limited handle, and plays like a disinterested defender.

None of which means he won't be a solid college player. If we land him, great. If not, I view him as not a big loss. He's a guy who projects to me as a two-year starter, but I prefer 3's with more versatility.

Here's my take: Bunch is a streaky shooter who doesn't do much else. He's one dimensional, in the mold of Nichols / White [not saying he is as good order of magnitude as either of them]. He's a good athlete, but doesn't do much on the boards, has a limited handle, and plays like a disinterested defender.

None of which means he won't be a solid college player. If we land him, great. If not, I view him as not a big loss. He's a guy who projects to me as a two-year starter, but I prefer 3's with more versatility.
My only thing is...

That's kind of exactly how Woody was described, and then it turned out he was way better than that, and then got buried on the bench.

The book on Bunch is pretty much the same as Woody Newton before he showed up on campus. Newton appeared to have a better skillset once he showed up, but I'd be concerned about him staying if he doesn't get PT off the bat.

The book on Bunch is pretty much the same as Woody Newton before he showed up on campus. Newton appeared to have a better skillset once he showed up, but I'd be concerned about him staying if he doesn't get PT off the bat.

I don't think that's true -- at all. Woody projected as a 4, and was well known for his rebounding, defense, and shot blocking. None of which is true of Bunch.

Once he got to SU, Newton showed off a lot more versatility [especially as a shooter] than expected. But we brought him in as a 4. Bunch is a 3 all the way -- which is why I think those limitations are so glaring.

Seems like the kind of player who's a junior or senior rotation player (at least) on a really good team. Our roster hasn't shaken out that way with unexpected departures/transfers lately but thats how championship teams have been built in recent college hoops.

Our class now is already solid for our program long-term and is a star like JJ away from being as close to perfect as you can get given the tier we can realistically recruit at, imo.

I don't think that's true -- at all. Woody projected as a 4, and was well known for his rebounding, defense, and shot blocking. None of which is true of Bunch.

Once he got to SU, Newton showed off a lot more versatility [especially as a shooter] than expected. But we brought him in as a 4. Bunch is a 3 all the way -- which is why I think those limitations are so glaring.
Not wanting to be argumentative, but that's not how I recall Woody at all. I remember the talk was he was mostly a guy that projected as a 3 because he tended to float on the perimeter and didn't really play near the rim on either end of the floor.

Very possible I'm misremembering.

I definitely think we’ll be active in the transfer market either way. If we land JJ, he’s probably our main instant impact freshman. Taylor and Quadir could be solid contributors as freshman, but JJ would be a 35mpg guy. Sounds like Bunch might need more development. We’ll see how he progresses this year at prep school.

Not wanting to be argumentative, but that's not how I recall Woody at all. I remember the talk was he was mostly a guy that projected as a 3 because he tended to float on the perimeter and didn't really play near the rim on either end of the floor.

Very possible I'm misremembering.
When Woody committed, which was at the end of his junior year I believe, that was the talk—that he had the physical tools and size but seemed to be more focused on standing out on the perimeter and looking to shoot most of the time. But then his senior year the reports changed and he was viewed as a potentially really good defender who finally started to rebound and mix it up inside. We def lost a good one with Woody. I think he and Kadary might have stayed if not for the weird Covid year of isolation and being able to really bond with your coaches and teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom