Class of 2024 - SF Cooper Flagg (ME) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SF Cooper Flagg (ME)

I saw Conor Flagg play in two games at Peach Jam. He dominated on both ends of the floor in both games. I mean really dominated scoring (both inside and outside) blocking shots, forcing players to alter their shots, stealing the ball and delivering the ball to teammates when the other team collapsed on him.

Granted he was playing at the 16 year old level but his game and skills extend to college and to the pros. There were a ton of really good players at the 16 year level at the Peach Jam.

He really impressed me even more than Bethea and Freeman. Don’t get me wrong I really happy with Donnie Freeman and would love to see Syracuse land Jalil Bethea but Conor Flagg barring serious injuries is a guaranteed Pro and probable #1 pick in the draft when he decides to go professional.

I saw Conor Flagg play in two games at Peach Jam. He dominated on both ends of the floor in both games. I mean really dominated scoring (both inside and outside) blocking shots, forcing players to alter their shots, stealing the ball and delivering the ball to teammates when the other team collapsed on him.

Granted he was playing at the 16 year old level but his game and skills extend to college and to the pros. There were a ton of really good players at the 16 year level at the Peach Jam.

He really impressed me even more than Bethea and Freeman. Don’t get me wrong I really happy with Donnie Freeman and would love to see Syracuse land Jalil Bethea but Conor Flagg barring serious injuries is a guaranteed Pro and probable #1 pick in the draft when he decides to go professional.

Auto correct seems to be disagreeing with you - it's "Cooper". :)

I think it's clear though as much as we love DF and Bethea no one is putting them up against Flagg. He is most certainly on a different level.

We aren’t getting this kid that’s all I know. He isn’t interested. He will be at Duke or Kentucky in my opinion

We aren’t getting this kid that’s all I know. He isn’t interested. He will be at Duke or Kentucky in my opinion
You have to wonder what will be the deciding factor in his decision. No doubt that both Duke and UK are the bluest of blue bloods, but what about schools like Kansas/Gonzaga/USC/UCLA.

It’s disgusting and going to make me hate him.
He has a chance to do one of the coolest things in college hoops history.

Go to Maine and you’re a legend before you even play a game. Go to Dook and you’re just another white kid everyone hates.

Go to Maine and you’re a legend before you even play a game. Go to Dook and you’re just another white kid everyone hates.
There's no way that could be any cooler than going to Syracuse and being the second freshman to lead SU to a national championship.

Auto correct seems to be disagreeing with you - it's "Cooper". :)

I think it's clear though as much as we love DF and Bethea no one is putting them up against Flagg. He is most certainly on a different level.
Guess I don’t check my wording before I post. Thank you and autocorrect.

It will probably be Duke, but don’t discount Iowa. McCaffrey has been recruiting him since 8th grade and I read an article a while ago that mentioned the 2 of them talk regularly.

Last edited:
Who knows how he progresses, but I would say he is further ahead than KD at this point. His shot is nice, but lacks rotation, but he is a better all around player than KD at the same age.
He’s much better with the dribble and as a passer. He also has a bigger motor than KD.

Sounds like he reclassed because he dominated at the Nike Skill Camp.

We do disagree on this, it's cool. But, KD was not a great defender, is he now? Flagg has shotblocking instincts and the strength and bounce to mix it up. He isn't Charles Oakley in there, but his frame is much better than KD, the kid actually has shoulders. Maybe he never develops, but I just believe at this stage he is further along. KD became the best offensive player in the NBA, that is a long way to go for Cooper, but who knows?

KD was an incredible wing defender on the dubs. But that's going way off the line.

Cooper Flagg isn't blocking 7 shots a game when he gets to the league. He may have shoulders, but he has to hang the weight.

Listen, I think he's better than Boozer. I think he'll be a top pick. I would love if he went to the Knicks. I like the kid's game.

At this point KD could score his J from anywhere. If nothing else, he was a bucket and could board. Then he did it at UT with a terrible coach. They put him at 2 guard when he started at Seattle.

Flagg is YOUNG. And didn't play up. And at this point, any very top player not going to the G League or alt pro league to play against men (not counting the foreign guys already going through academies and pro leagues), imo, isn't getting the best training (this isn't for guys like Freeman).

So I think he is VERY good. I think he's better than Boozer. But let's pump the brakes. KD could score and had a wet jump shot. The only reason he wasn't even more highly touted was that Oden was in the same class.

Need to see more but I don't recall KDs handle, as a playmaker specifically being as good. He definitely could handle it to create for himself. Flagg does seem a good bit stronger at the same level.

As a scorer and shooter KD was pure and just on an unreal level. Not sure even as good as Flagg is- his shot isnt as pure as KDs was then. Flagg is however better through contact at that stage.

Defense definitely is probably the true final measuring stick given the reputation Flagg has and some impressive numbers as a shotblocker.

Like with any of these kids really need to see more. Flagg has all the tools though and the frame to be worth the hype at this point. I think in general it's also always difficult to evaluate guys from different time periods.

Also as an aside..as great as KD has been - if he only was stronger from the getgo and had the same game at 25 lbs heavier... and not been so injury prone.. he may well have been on track to even blow past Bron for all time scoring record

I mean come on. KD is top 15 of all time, will finish top 10 scoring, arguably the best scorer ever, likely the best pure front court scorer. What are we doing?

And I refuse to count blocks as being a good defender at anything but the nba level.

Show me his ability to guard a real guy on ball and switch 1-4.

Flagg is very good. You put him in the NBA this year and he's getting torture chambered.

Remember when Jordan Crawford dunked on Bron? Let's pump the brakes here.

With all that said, I love Flagg. I would go G League if I were him. But you talk about the top wings of the past few decades, he's not Tatum, Kawhi, Bron, KD. He'll never be as good as Luka or Tatum now. He's not turning into Giannis.

Show me what he does against men. Not playing up is a flag. No pun intended.

I do not care about blocks at this level. That is a joke stat at this level.

I mean come on. KD is top 15 of all time, will finish top 10 scoring, arguably the best scorer ever, likely the best pure front court scorer. What are we doing?

And I refuse to count blocks as being a good defender at anything but the nba level.

Show me his ability to guard a real guy on ball and switch 1-4.

Flagg is very good. You put him in the NBA this year and he's getting torture chambered.

Remember when Jordan Crawford dunked on Bron? Let's pump the brakes here.

With all that said, I love Flagg. I would go G League if I were him. But you talk about the top wings of the past few decades, he's not Tatum, Kawhi, Bron, KD. He'll never be as good as Luka or Tatum now. He's not turning into Giannis.

Just to be clear I was only commenting on them as players at the same age. I wasn't speaking to what he will become even if he has impressed/dominated against great competition to date ( EYBL).

I watched a lot of KD too if not most for curiosity because he was another Oak Hill kid as well as getting Melo comparisons in terms of what he would be in college. His shot was pure and obviously a great athlete with a handle but strength was a definite concern early on which of course he put to rest quickly once he got to Texas and more so at OKC. At that time, similar to Flagg, there was lots of hype while there being similar, and fair, skepticism to go with

He isn’t. I saw KD in high school. You’re talking a kid that isn’t playing up, isn’t going G League and hasn’t been tested at any real level to anoint him better than KD

Come on.

KD was a bucket from day one.

And I like Flagg, but this is crazy.
Take it for what it's worth, but ESPN (Biancardi) has anointed him the best player in high school right now, regardless of class.

Didn't he go head-to-head against Carlos Boozer's higher rated son, and hold his own?

Take it for what it's worth, but ESPN (Biancardi) has anointed him the best player in high school right now, regardless of class.

Didn't he go head-to-head against Carlos Boozer's higher rated son, and hold his own?

I do not think Boozer's kid will be an NBA star, just to be clear. I think the "best player in the US" for high school is between Flagg and AJ. I think Boozer is a rung below either of them.

I do not think Boozer's kid will be an NBA star, just to be clear. I think the "best player in the US" for high school is between Flagg and AJ. I think Boozer is a rung below either of them.
I agree. Boozer is athletically and physically NBA ready and looks like a giant amongst boys against his current opponents. He will be an average NBA player unless his game expands, especially on the offensive side. He's no Jayson Tatum but more like Marvin Bagley or Wendell Carter.

It will probably be Duke, but don’t discount Iowa. McCaffrey has been recruiting him since 8th grade and I read an article a while ago that mentioned the 2 of them talk regularly.
I would have the highest respect for him if he took a different path and went to Iowa.

or Indiana State U and be Bird Lite

IMG_6114.jpeg