Class of 2018 - SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH) | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's top 10

Agreed. Don't want to put this burden of expectation on him, but he's awfully Carmelo-like. I could see him having a similar impact at the collegiate level.

I was pissed that after the relationship Mathew Moyer formed with Michael Porter that our coaching staff didn't even pursue him, but this kid is similar. Not sure that he's QUITE that good, but he's close. Probably a top 10 caliber recruit, as you say.

Agreed. Don't want to put this burden of expectation on him, but he's awfully Carmelo-like. I could see him having a similar impact at the collegiate level.

I was pissed that after the relationship Mathew Moyer formed with Michael Porter that our coaching staff didn't even pursue him, but this kid is similar. Not sure that he's QUITE that good, but he's close. Probably a top 10 caliber recruit, as you say.

Wait, Michael Porter... like Former Washington now Mizzou freshman Michael Porter Jr? He was obviously following where ever his father was going. No point in wasting recruiting resources when the writing is on the wall. Either way havent been this excited in a Syracuse commit in a long time... very excited to see Darius in 2018/2019 even with our log jam of tweener 3/4's.

Wait, Michael Porter... like Former Washington now Mizzou freshman Michael Porter Jr? He was obviously following where ever his father was going. No point in wasting recruiting resources when the writing is on the wall. Either way havent been this excited in a Syracuse commit in a long time... very excited to see Darius in 2018/2019 even with our log jam of tweener 3/4's.

Yes. When the #1 player in the class--a transcendent offensive player--publically expresses an interest in your program, you pursue the lead. Ultimately, he ended up following his dad. That was the likely outcome from the beginning, but you at least kick the tires and do due diligence.

Can you imagine if we could somehow get Brissett and Mareck to stick around for a second year with Bazley?

Perhaps the most versatile frontcourt ever, and I don't say that lightly when thinking about Coleman playing with Billy Owens.
Just freaking amazing!

Only weeks ago this board was quicksand swallowing up any hope for the team because we didn't have players worthy of playing for the 'Cuse.

Now we are saying that Brissett and Mareck are one and done before we ever see them in a D1 game?! :crazy:

Yes. When the #1 player in the class--a transcendent offensive player--publically expresses an interest in your program, you pursue the lead. Ultimately, he ended up following his dad. That was the likely outcome from the beginning, but you at least kick the tires and do due diligence.
Yeah, being in his top few schools until the end changes the perception of the program. Even if they aren't going crazy recruiting him, calling him, and trying to get him on campus from time to time isn't that hard.

Just freaking amazing!

Only weeks ago this board was quicksand swallowing up any hope for the team because we didn't have players worthy of playing for the 'Cuse.

Now we are saying that Brissett and Mareck are one and done before we ever see them in a D1 game?! :crazy:

Okay, Mike Krzyzewski. :crazy:

Nobody is suggesting that they'll be one and done. But if you pay attention to the recruiting board, you'd know that there has been talk of Marek being a one-year player. How realistic that is--who knows--just acknowledging the possibility that he might only be in an Orange uniform for one season. That doesn't necessarily mean NBA, by the way. And I take nothing for granted when it comes to our players--who would have thought that Malachi Richardson would be a one and done prior to his first year?

I really think this kid is going to be sensational for us for the one season we have him. That combination of height, athleticism, and handle is just incredible, especially for someone his age. I hope we'll have the supporting cast around him to really make that team special. Honestly have not been this psyched about a commit in a long, long time. I just hope he can put on some weight by the time he hits campus. Another 20 pounds, and he'd be unstoppable. He pretty much already is!

I really think this kid is going to be sensational for us for the one season we have him. That combination of height, athleticism, and handle is just incredible, especially for someone his age. I hope we'll have the supporting cast around him to really make that team special. Honestly have not been this psyched about a commit in a long, long time. I just hope he can put on some weight by the time he hits campus. Another 20 pounds, and he'd be unstoppable. He pretty much already is!

I really hope that Bazley's commitment gives us momentum with the class of 2018 to sign up a terrific guard to play with him. All of the other pieces of the puzzle are there, IMO.

Okay, Mike Krzyzewski. :crazy:

Nobody is suggesting that they'll be one and done. But if you pay attention to the recruiting board, you'd know that there has been talk of Marek being a one-year player. How realistic that is--who knows--just acknowledging the possibility that he might only be in an Orange uniform for one season. That doesn't necessarily mean NBA, by the way. And I take nothing for granted when it comes to our players--who would have thought that Malachi Richardson would be a one and done prior to his first year?

"Can you imagine if we could somehow get Brissett and Mareck to stick around for a second year with Bazley?"

I was replying to your quote on your previous post implying exactly that.

"Can you imagine if we could somehow get Brissett and Mareck to stick around for a second year with Bazley?"

I was replying to your quote on your previous post implying exactly that.

I'd say that you need to work on your reading comprehension--especially given the interpretive spin you've applied. You inferred something that wasn't implied.

I'd say that you need to work on your reading comprehension--especially given the interpretive spin you've applied. You inferred something that wasn't implied.
My bad. I was reading it as them staying around for a year with Bazley, not having a second year with him.

My bad. I was reading it as them staying around for a year with Bazley, not having a second year with him.

That part you interpreted correctly. :)

The part that you incorrectly attributed was about the one and done, which most people connote with jumping to the NBA. There are a variety of reasons why that trio might not play together Bazley's freshman year, with ONE possibility being that Brissett, Marek, or both go pro. Dolezaj isn't even on campus yet; hopefully him suiting up isn't disrupted by clearinghouse issues [a la Diagne], or him being associated with a European pro team [haven't heard any implications that he got paid, but if something like that cropped up it could derail him playing here]. Dolezaj is physically underdeveloped, but there have been rumblings that he wanted to play high major college basketball to get exposure for the NBA, or even a European pro contract. One and done? Unlikely, but who knows. Or maybe Brissett [who I firmly believe is quite a bit better than his rankings] explodes his freshman year, and elects to go pro.

There are a lot of variables in play that could work against all three of those guys being on the team at the same time. Not suggesting that any of that stuff will come to pass, but that's why I qualified it the way I did.

Last edited:
I mean Marek is a 18 year old kid who's going to have an ocean between him and his home. Who knows what kind of dynamics will be at work there. And that's not even getting into the whole Diange factor.

I must say that I am one of the ones on here that has felt really down on what I percieved as the downward trajectory of the program. The recent lack of success sustained throughout an entire season along with a bunch of near misses pushed that way. This commit has me excited again. I hope we have enough around him to take advantage of the one year he is here. Sadly, the era of building around him after he arrives seems to be ling gone. Is there anyway Battle can get amnesia after this season is over and forget he is an NBA prospect so that we can have him for one more year?

I must say that I am one of the ones on here that has felt really down on what I percieved as the downward trajectory of the program. The recent lack of success sustained throughout an entire season along with a bunch of near misses pushed that way. This commit has me excited again. I hope we have enough around him to take advantage of the one year he is here. Sadly, the era of building around him after he arrives seems to be ling gone. Is there anyway Battle can get amnesia after this season is over and forget he is an NBA prospect so that we can have him for one more year?

The Bazely commitment is exciting for sure. I'm tempering some of the excitement until I see how this current team performs and how the staff progresses with getting a quality PG in here. So many unknowns coming into the season and I can see a myriad of results. Marek and Geno are coming in late so that's worrisome. Nobody knows how Frank will play. I could see TT blossoming or becoming a malcontent. Battle will be terrific. I'm optimistic with Bourama in terms of being one of the more skilled frosh bigs we have had in a long time. I'm not saying he's Chris Webber or anything but I think he can catch the ball consistently so that's a plus. He should be solid on D. I just have a feeling that we'll need him to be ready. I have zero confidence in Chukwu. Moyer I have no idea. His physique is weird. Still seems soft and lanky to me. Same with Marek. No idea with him but he seems like a really good athlete. If Frank falters will Geno be good enough at the ACC level to run the team and score? Probably but who knows.

Last edited:
I think bazley is the real deal! Saying he was a huge get for us this cycle or any cycle is a understatement. I love his game and like others have said before he looks like he was built to play for us!
sounds like he would be happy to be one and done and make it to the NBA. Glad we have him but miss the days when we got to enjoy the skilled players 3-4 years vice 1 and done. Don't get me wrong, I understand about the fragile nature of the players and how their potential paydays can be cut short or even eliminated through injury. I just miss the days of 4 year players and how players mesh together into a cohesive team.

Chris McCullough clone? Same build, same type of game with better handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors