Class of 2018 - SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH) | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could be right. We shall see...;)

Connor McCaffery is walking on at Iowa this year due to lack of scholarships. Lee Melchionni did the same thing at Duke several years ago.

It's not really as crazy of a thought as you are making it out to be. These coaches want to win and will do what they have to do. But this discussion would probably be better served in the Buddy thread. My apologies for contributing to take it off topic from Darius

Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim

Last edited:
Connor McCaffery is walking on at Iowa this year due to lack of scholarships. Lee Melchionni did the same thing at Duke several years ago.

It's not really as crazy of a thought as you are making it out to be. These coaches want to win and will do what they have to do. But this discussion would probably be better served in the Buddy thread. My apologies for contributing to take it off topic from Darius

Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim
I'll let it slide, this time.

One - Not a chance in heck will JB fork out $25,000 a year for R&B for Buddy to play at SU. Its just not gonna happen.

Two - Andre Drummond did walk on at UCONN because they were out of scholarships and he didn't want anyone to lose their scholly to make space for him.

Three - Just cuz it hasn't been mentioned in the media, you think Buddy hasn't got an offer? Maybe Mike Waters should call his father and ask. Oh wait - his father is JB who's the coach and can't comment on unsigned recruits. No way he doesn't have an offer.

So Andre Drummond has the scratch to pay to save a scholarship but JB doesn't or wouldn't for an extra roster spot? You make it sound absurd that JB wouldn't do it which I don't think it is. If we have an extra spot, no doubt Buddy gets a scholarship, but if JB wants an extra spot to play around with and get some extra depth, I think it's a small price for him to pay.

If we have an extra spot, no doubt Buddy gets a scholarship, but if JB wants an extra spot to play around with and get some extra depth, I think it's a small price for him to pay.

You're pretty generous with someone else's money. Although the tuition would be free, it's over $100,000 for R&B over four years. That's alot of scratch for anyone.

Maybe JB will be super generous to SU. Just curious - other than posters on this board, has their been any indication from anybody 'in the know' that Buddy is considering walking on?

You're pretty generous with someone else's money. Although the tuition would be free, it's over $100,000 for R&B over four years. That's alot of scratch for anyone.

Maybe JB will be super generous to SU. Just curious - other than posters on this board, has their been any indication from anybody 'in the know' that Buddy is considering walking on?

You're assuming he'd walk on for all 4 years - I don't think anybody here is stating that.
It would be for the 1st year, and then when we're off sanctions, he would get a full-ride scholarship, just like all his other teammates.

JB has been "super generous to SU" for decades now - he's been grossly (or would that be Gross-ly :p) underpaid relative to his comparable hoops coaching peers for forever.
What's another $25k amongst friends? ;)

I would imagine JB, like the majority of coaches, has incentives built into his contract, for bonuses upon achieving certain things.
IF having Buddy onboard increases the odds of him hitting one of more of those, then that likely more than offsets whatever the "cost" if his R&B would be - not that JB needs the $ anyway.

Steve Alford used the loophole just last year on Bryce. I can easily see JB not doing it, but I really hope he (and Buddy) are at least considering it.

The planned move is because of UCLA’s talented four-man recruiting class, which would put the Bruins one above the scholarship limit of 13 next season. One perk of coaching your son, Steve Alford said, is that you effectively have one extra scholarship spot.

“It’s huge,” Alford said. “The last couple years it didn’t present it because we hadn’t gotten to 13 yet.”

Bryce Alford to drop scholarship to accommodate deep recruiting class

I thought kids get Free tuition at schools if their parents are professors .. coaches don't get the same deal ?

I thought kids get Free tuition at schools if their parents are professors .. coaches don't get the same deal ?

Tuition yes. Room, Board, Books, Fees, etc. that are all covered by an athletic scholarship are not covered under the employee tuition plan. And SU can't offer to pay for it because it would then be an impermissible benefit according to the NCAA.

Tuition yes. Room, Board, Books, Fees, etc. that are all covered by an athletic scholarship are not covered under the employee tuition plan. And SU can't offer to pay for it because it would then be an impermissible benefit according to the NCAA.
No but what were the terms of JB's contract extension? Did he get a small raise in base salary that might just offset the cost of R&B? Don't think money will be an issue here.

Struggling to comprehend how and/or why the Boeheims would survive giving up ~1% of JAB's annual salary.

how many D1 coaches would pay $25K out of their pockets to add a knock down shooter to their rosters? something close to all of them. and JB can do it legally. it's gotta be one of the biggest no-brainers in the history of recruiting.

how many D1 coaches would pay $25K out of their pockets to add a knock down shooter to their rosters? something close to all of them. and JB can do it legally. it's gotta be one of the biggest no-brainers in the history of recruiting.
No but what were the terms of JB's contract extension? Did he get a small raise in base salary that might just offset the cost of R&B? Don't think money will be an issue here.
Struggling to comprehend how and/or why the Boeheims would survive giving up ~1% of JAB's annual salary.

OK - let's work backwards. We have four scholarships available right now for 2018. Five when Battle declares. Here's who we are recruiting.
  • Center (1) Carrigan or Roberts
  • Forward (2) Bazley, King or ?
  • Guard (2?) Carey & ?
We don't seem to be working hard on a 2nd guard prospect. I'm not sure we have an offer out to any guard other than Carey that is seriously considering SU. Why would that be when it is a position of need? And we have a number of offers out for 2019 guards. Granted we will have Hughes, and Carey could play the two. But it would seem that we would be going hard after a Battle replacement - a 6'5" scoring guard. Why aren't we? The only logical reason I see is that Buddy is our 2018 SG target for that scholarship. Anything else feels like wishful thinking.

Last edited:
OK - let's work backwards. We have four scholarships available right now for 2018. Five when Battle declares. Here's who we are recruiting.
  • Center (1) Carrigan or Roberts
  • Forward (2) Bazley, King or ?
  • Guard (2?) Carey & ?
We don't seem to be working hard on a 2nd guard prospect. I'm not sure we have an offer out to any guard other than Carey that is seriously considering SU. Why would that be when it is a position of need? And we have a number of offers out for 2019 guards. Granted we will have Hughes, and Carey could play the two. But it would seem that we would be going hard after a Battle replacement - a 6'5" scoring guard. Why aren't we? The only logical reason I see is that Buddy is our 2018 SG target for that scholarship. Anything else feels like wishful thinking.

Off a bit in your numbers. 9 players will have returning eligibility for 2018-19:
Howard, Washington, Carter, Battle, Chukwu, Sidibe, Brissett, Moyer and Dolezaj .
Bazley enters a s a freshman making 10. We are still restricted by one so we have two open ships right now, 3 if Battle goes. Carey and a big are the priorities for the first 2 spots. If you consider Carey a combo you have at least 3 players who can contribute at the 2. Whether Buddy takes a scholarship or not is immaterial to his role on the team. Suppose Louis King wants to commit? Do you tell him "No thanks. We used our last scholarship for the coach's son."
If there is a scholarship available then maybe we put Buddy on scholarship but it wouldn't surprise me to see JB give it to a senior walk-on even in that case.

NCAA: Kid, normally you could go to that really expensive school for free because your dad is an employee there. However, if you want to participate in an extra curricular activity like basketball, you'll have to pay 25k+/yr

Exactly, I can't see how the NCAA could police this. Give Boeheim a 25k raise for a few years. How's the NCAA supposed to prove that it's to offset r and b costs?

Off a bit in your numbers. 9 players will have returning eligibility for 2018-19:
Howard, Washington, Carter, Battle, Chukwu, Sidibe, Brissett, Moyer and Dolezaj .
Bazley enters a s a freshman making 10. We are still restricted by one so we have two open ships right now, 3 if Battle goes. Carey and a big are the priorities for the first 2 spots. If you consider Carey a combo you have at least 3 players who can contribute at the 2. Whether Buddy takes a scholarship or not is immaterial to his role on the team. Suppose Louis King wants to commit? Do you tell him "No thanks. We used our last scholarship for the coach's son."
If there is a scholarship available then maybe we put Buddy on scholarship but it wouldn't surprise me to see JB give it to a senior walk-on even in that case.
U left out Elijah Hughes and not sure who Carter is? The max scholarships SU will have next year is 12 because they are still on probation.

Thanks for the correction on the scholarship limit. I thought we were at 13 next year. Feels like we've been on probation for a decade.

Back to my point - why are we not recruiting a true SG? King is definitely not a guard, limited handle and most of his points come in the paint and I don't see him as a top of the zone defender. It could be that Hughes looks so good that JB feels he's set at the position, but unless Marek & Oshae go pro we have a logjam at forward.

You could be right, it just seems like everyone is assuming that Buddy is going to walk on and there is no evidence to support that. Just my opinion. Its unlikely they would comment on this, but Jake or CTO might have an inkling of what's going on.

Thanks for the correction on the scholarship limit. I thought we were at 13 next year. Feels like we've been on probation for a decade.

Back to my point - why are we not recruiting a true SG? King is definitely not a guard, limited handle and most of his points come in the paint and I don't see him as a top of the zone defender. It could be that Hughes looks so good that JB feels he's set at the position, but unless Marek & Oshae go pro we have a logjam at forward.

You could be right, it just seems like everyone is assuming that Buddy is going to walk on and there is no evidence to support that. Just my opinion. Its unlikely they would comment on this, but Jake or CTO might have an inkling of what's going on.

Maybe with Hughes and Buddy they feel like they are OK at SG? I don't know.

You clearly haven't seen King play in awhile

One - Not a chance in heck will JB fork out $25,000 a year for R&B for Buddy to play at SU. Its just not gonna happen.

Two - Andre Drummond did walk on at UCONN because they were out of scholarships and he didn't want anyone to lose their scholly to make space for him.

Three - Just cuz it hasn't been mentioned in the media, you think Buddy hasn't got an offer? Maybe Mike Waters should call his father and ask. Oh wait - his father is JB who's the coach and can't comment on unsigned recruits. No way he doesn't have an offer.
Buddy can live at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors