Class of 2018 - SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH) | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it’s high school but Bazley looks pretty comfortable posting up. Obviously he’ll be going against bigger and stronger players at the next level, but he clearly knows how to post up and is comfortable doing it which is different from a lot of the tall, lanky guys with perimeter skills coming into college in the last decade who look like they’ve never played on the block with their back to the basket in their lives.

I do think Sidibe has some potential as a low post scorer. Not something I’m counting on to be a major part of the offense his soph. year but there’s something there.

I hear you. Baze does have a post up game. I don't think he has the strength yet to be effective in the ACC doing that. He will be able to score at all 3 levels, but I would be surprised if JB wants him posting up, unless teams try to defend him with a guard.

I hear you. Baze does have a post up game. I don't think he has the strength yet to be effective in the ACC doing that. He will be able to score at all 3 levels, but I would be surprised if JB wants him posting up, unless teams try to defend him with a guard.

I'm not so sure. He has a solid base and doesn't have chicken leg syndrome like a Tayshaun Prince, Dolezaj or PC. He looks stronger to me in more recent videos and having a strong base helps a ton with post play. He has the frame to be able to add weight for sure as well.

No doubt, we will look life a much different team on offense next year. Having a guy like Baze on the floor - who is at his best with the ball in his hands - paired with OB at the other forward spot will give us 2 guys with length and NBA-like talent at getting to the rim. OB could not finish, but his first step and his ability to draw fouls is elite and way under appreciated.

These 2 guys alone will create matchup problems for all but a few of the teams on the schedule. Adding Carey, Hughes and Buddy's skill sets to what Frank and MD bring to the offense, will give us 4 or 5 guys on the court at the same time who that can score and take advantage of what the D will be forced to do to account for Baze and OB.

The only thing missing will be a post up scoring threat...

Sidibe has the tools to post up. If he can get healthy, which right now is an "if", he will be more than capable of scoring 6-7 from the paint. It was obvious how much he was laboring this season. Slow on defense, travels on offense. The skill is there. Soft hands around the rim. Good rebounding instincts. He was far more developed than I expected this season.

No doubt, we will look life a much different team on offense next year. Having a guy like Baze on the floor - who is at his best with the ball in his hands - paired with OB at the other forward spot will give us 2 guys with length and NBA-like talent at getting to the rim. OB could not finish, but his first step and his ability to draw fouls is elite and way under appreciated.

These 2 guys alone will create matchup problems for all but a few of the teams on the schedule. Adding Carey, Hughes and Buddy's skill sets to what Frank and MD bring to the offense, will give us 4 or 5 guys on the court at the same time who that can score and take advantage of what the D will be forced to do to account for Baze and OB.

I can visualize everything you said but let’s drink a little kool aid and imagine Battle back and that dimension

So your opin
I'm not so sure. He has a solid base and doesn't have chicken leg syndrome like a Tayshaun Prince, Dolezaj or PC. He looks stronger to me in more recent videos and having a strong base helps a ton with post play. He has the frame to be able to add weight for sure as well.
So your opinion is based on his base

There’s strength and there’s also savvy. Some skinny guys are much stronger and tougher than they look. Bazley is very savvy and a quick learner. I’m guessing he will exploit bullies in the paint Marek shows that same type of savviness against bigger opponents in the latter part of the season when he became comfortable in his role

There’s strength and there’s also savvy. Some skinny guys are much stronger and tougher than they look. Bazley is very savvy and a quick learner. I’m guessing he will exploit bullies in the paint Marek shows that same type of savviness against bigger opponents in the latter part of the season when he became comfortable in his role

Side note - Brissett's instagram story is a picture of Bazley giving a shoutout to his future teammate.

Sidibe has the tools to post up. If he can get healthy, which right now is an "if", he will be more than capable of scoring 6-7 from the paint. It was obvious how much he was laboring this season. Slow on defense, travels on offense. The skill is there. Soft hands around the rim. Good rebounding instincts. He was far more developed than I expected this season.

Agree with all of that. I was high on Sidibe's potential coming out of HS (even picked him to lead the team in rebounds in the Iggy challenge, for whatever that's worth). As you said, he needs to be healthy (and stronger) to consistently provide that threat.

I understand the point you are trying to make GooseMutt. Even if he could "exploit bullies in the paint," I doubt JB would use him that way as a freshman.

Next year cant get here soon enough

The player I was asked the most about by NBA personnel was Syracuse-bound forward

Darius Bazley
. It wasn't a surprise either because he's exactly the type of long, athletic, versatile guy they that they drool over because of upside.

I get liking the upside, but the reason he was catching their eyes and why he's validating himself as a top 10 player is that his skill is coming along rapidly. Bazley is more recognized as a high flyer in transition and a defender who can switch up and down from point guard all the way to power forward. But, he's really improved his jump shooting and I was most impressed by how easily he created separation with a dribble or two to get his jumper.

We need to get that big kid from Rochester who went to the midwest but came back to play with Albany AAU this summer. What's his name, Isaiah Stewart?

We need to get that big kid from Rochester who went to the midwest but came back to play with Albany AAU this summer. What's his name, Isaiah Stewart?
Going to be tough from what I've read, seems like Dook is in the lead. Hopefully we can land Kofi Cockburn if that doesn't pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom