Class of 2018 - SG Antwann Jones (FL) Transfer from Memphis to Creighton | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Antwann Jones (FL) Transfer from Memphis to Creighton

Wrong. Any chance you have to improve the team and get a player like this you take it. Who's the last recruit this high that committed? Not Mali, not McCollough, not Battle, not Ennis...

I don't disagree with this BUT we have no idea what the communication between the staff and Jones has been. They could have told him they really like him but haven't been involved much yet and want to meet with him have him for a visit ect. He is supposedly coming to our elite camp which is traditionally when we see offers. Perhaps they have said come to our elite camp and if both sides are happy we will wrap this thing up.

Last edited:
I agree that if you can land a top player like this to start the 2018 class, let's lock it in and get the ball rolling. No reason you can't work on both classes at the same time. Every top program does it while they are trying to patch the holes from early entries, etc. while also building the foundation of 2018. Just part of the game nowadays with all the roster turnover each year.

But your second point is just flat out wrong. Every single one of those players you mentioned was right in the same range as Jones. In fact, 2017 down year aside we typically land at least 1 kid as good as Jones every single year.
Not exactly true...the composite ranking isn't out yet on Jones, but ESPN has him at 17. Ennis's composite was 17. The rest were all below 17; McCollough was 18, Mali was 24 and Battle 25. Yes, they are in the 'same range' but except for Ennis they technically are not as high. To say flat out wrong is incorrect.

I don't disagree with this BUT we have no idea what the communication between the staff and Jones has been. They could have told him they really like him but haven't been involved much yet and want to meet with him have him for a visit ect. He is supposedly coming to our elite camp which is traditionally when we see offers. Perhaps they have said come to our elite camp and if both sides are happy we will wrap this thing up.
I think you're dead on about this one. I hope so...

Waiting to offer after JT decides on a program, so as to not spook him?
Silent verbal - Wink, wink?;)

Not exactly true...the composite ranking isn't out yet on Jones, but ESPN has him at 17. Ennis's composite was 17. The rest were all below 17; McCollough was 18, Mali was 24 and Battle 25. Yes, they are in the 'same range' but except for Ennis they technically are not as high. To say flat out wrong is incorrect.
Scout -
Jones (46)
Battle (33)
Richardson (29)
McCullough (18)
Ennis (22)

Rivals -
Jones (63)
Battle (33)
Richardson (35)
McCullough (19)
Ennis (22)

247 -
Jones (72)
Battle (39)
Richardson (51)
McCullough (32)
Ennis (36)

247 composite -
Jones (46)
Battle (37)
Richardson (32)
McCullough (21)
Ennis (23)

In fairness to you - everyone has their own sites they like to use and he is rated higher than all those players on espn. Although to say we haven't signed anyone as highly ranked as him, even using espns ranking where he is only 3-7 spot better than all but Battle, seems to lack any nuance whatsoever.

But to the more important point - I think we can both agree that if that is the company he is keeping it's a no brainer that they should be offering him and try to lock him up sooner rather than later.

Scout -
Jones (46)
Battle (33)
Richardson (29)
McCullough (18)
Ennis (22)

Rivals -
Jones (63)
Battle (33)
Richardson (35)
McCullough (19)
Ennis (22)

At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. -
Jones (72)
Battle (39)
Richardson (51)
McCullough (32)
Ennis (36)

At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. composite -
Jones (46)
Battle (37)
Richardson (32)
McCullough (21)
Ennis (23)

In fairness to you - everyone has their own sites they like to use and he is rated higher than all those players on espn. Although to say we haven't signed anyone as highly ranked as him, even using espns ranking where he is only 3-7 spot better than all but Battle, seems to lack any nuance whatsoever.

But to the more important point - I think we can both agree that if that is the company he is keeping it's a no brainer that they should be offering him and try to lock him up sooner rather than later.

So is Williams ranked higher than Jones? He's a kid the staff has seen a lot of and offered. Listed as a guard but same size and class as Jones.

So is Williams ranked higher than Jones? He's a kid the staff has seen a lot of and offered. Listed as a guard but same size and class as Jones.

Looks like the four forwards we're recruiting for class of 2018 are Williams, Jones, Wright, and Porcelli. Are we taking 2?

Looks like the four forwards we're recruiting for class of 2018 are Williams, Jones, Wright, and Porcelli. Are we taking 2?

Aren't there more than that? What about Wilson?

Williams is currently a 3*. Wonder if that goes up. The City Rocks are loaded this summer.

Aren't there more than that? What about Wilson?

Correct.

Just watched all his highlights on YouTube, he looks like a less flashy Lance Stephenson coming out of high school, very smooth handle and advanced offensive game. Doesn't quite have the elite athleticism and measurements that propel kids to the NBA early, may not be an one-n-done if he comes here.

So we offered 6 G/F or wing players. What we will do is decide and push hard after 1. Then the other 5 won't "feel" the love so they commit someplace else. Then the player that we prioritized over the others will end up picking UK, Duke or some other school. Exactly how the Green situation played out.

Smith and Swider, too.

Sure are a lot when you write them down. Have to think we want 2 and if one of them can be a 2, maybe even 3 of them.

Sure are a lot when you write them down. Have to think we want 2 and if one of them can be a 2, maybe even 3 of them.
And I don't think anybody mentioned Cam Reddish. Not likely, obviously, but dare to dream.

So we offered 6 G/ or wing players. What we will do is decide and push hard after 1. Then the other 5 won't "feel" the love so they commit someplace else. Then the player that we prioritized over the others will end up picking UK, Duke or some other school. Exactly how the Green situation played out.
Seems like you need to offer more recruits to get a commit lately; 6 offers to get 1 commit? So 12 offers if we want 2 wing players?

Agreed--desperately need to add a lead guard, then probably some combination of 2 wings [who might also be capable of playing 2 or 3].

Loaded up on bigs in the class of 2017.

Louis King, too. He was our first offer for 2018 and in a recent interview said he plans on visiting for the Elite Camp I think.

To say the least, this isn't just a few short years ago.
Couldn't disagree more. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but the only one in the group that's a pipe dream to me is Cam, and the poster even pointed that out when he named him.

King and Smith are also probably unlikely, but both seem to be showing at least some level of interest in us.

Swider is blowing up and Wright has a lot of interest as well, but I think we have just as good a shot with either of them as anyone else.

Jones and Williams I think we could have today if we wanted them.

Porcelli is probably a fringe Cuse level player. I think the bigger question with him is if he even gets a cuse offer rather than whether cuse can get him.

I'd bet we land 2 from this group no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom