Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

I believe the upside with Copeland is higher. At 6-6 his size on defense can be amazing, and being able to see over his defender on offense will create many opportunities for his teammates.
I agree with all of that, with the exception of the higher ceiling. You may be right, but JJ has a beautiful outside shot, an incredibly smooth and sneaky athletic game. And his basketball IQ is super high.

I agree with all of that, with the exception of the higher ceiling. You may be right, but JJ has a beautiful outside shot, an incredibly smooth and sneaky athletic game. And his basketball IQ is super high.
I agree either one would be great, but you can't teach size. Especially on defense. Girard s biggest problem is his size, if he were as tall as Devo he probably would be a good player.

He’s got Westry in there. So, you’d swap JJ and Copeland? I really like them both. I give the slight edge to JJ as well. But, I would love to land either.
I like Copeland as much if not better than JJ. Westry the best but if we end up with Copeland he will be a 2 possibly 3 year guy. Hard to teach 6 7 with his ball skills

I agree either one would be great, but you can't teach size. Especially on defense. Girard s biggest problem is his size, if he were as tall as Devo he probably would be a good player.

Joe is about half a foot shorter than Devo and half as quick. He does share a huge desire to win. I hope that he works hard this summer and plays to his strenghts next summer. No more Hero chucks from half court is a good start. Just run the O protect the ball and take the shot when its open. On this team Joe should be the fourth option.

Bring back the throw-up emoji...
View attachment 202095
Wow. With treatment like this (and I’m sure this is nothing compared to much of what happens) it’s not surprising some kids get huge attitudes and delusions of granduer and become spoiled brats. Gee, these kids are only 17-18 and they are treated like royalty.

Wow. With treatment like this (and I’m sure this is nothing compared to much of what happens) it’s not surprising some kids get huge attitudes and delusions of granduer and become spoiled brats. Gee, these kids are only 17-18 and they are treated like royalty.

It’s no wonder when they get to campus and get coached most are unable to deal with it positively.

He’s got Westry in there. So, you’d swap JJ and Copeland? I really like them both. I give the slight edge to JJ as well. But, I would love to land either.
No I meant JJ over Westry mb

Really? There is like $4 worth of stuff there. A photoshopped picture of him in an Auburn uniform, a UA sticker and his visitor badge laid out on a hotel bed is hardly Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. I'd take this and say if that's all it takes to impress a kid, this recruiting thing is way easier than I thought.

I hate Auburn with the passion of a thousand suns! (Thanks to you Pat "Tie" Dye), but even I have to admit this is much ado about nothing.
Football players in the SEC have their own on-campus facilities that look like resorts. A little mint-on-the-pillow for a bball recruit is really not a big deal. JMHO

Last edited:
Would love a class of
Westry. 6-4
Taylor. 6-6
Filipowski 6-11
Lands. 6-8
Clingan. 7-1
Copeland. 6-6
Nice balance and size for the zone, and ability to press.
I’d be thrilled with that class. But I don’t think it’s realistic. If we got 4 of those 6 (or Bunch or Starling) that would be a home run.

I’d be thrilled with that class. But I don’t think it’s realistic. If we got 4 of those 6 (or Bunch or Starling) that would be a home run.

Yeah, there’s zero point zero % Chance we get all those guys.

I’m thinking it’ll be:
Lands
Taylor
Chance OR Copeland.
A PF and/or C
(prolly not Clingan, coin toss on Flip)

Yeah, there’s zero point zero % Chance we get all those guys.

I’m thinking it’ll be:
Lands
Taylor
Chance OR Copeland.
A PF and/or C
(prolly not Clingan, coin toss on Flip)
Yeah, I feel the same way - I don't think there is a chance we get all those guys either. Even your scenario seems overly optimistic. I also didn't think all the "we are going to get multiple 5 stars with Dior" hype was realistic either. So, maybe that's just me.

I would be thrilled with one of JJ or Chance (I like Copeland too) and Flip. That might be our most realistic shot at a great class. Taylor would be fantastic and could step right into BB's spot if he leaves after this season. So, I could maybe see 3 of these guys coming, but 2 seems more likely.

I'm not so sure Lands makes it here...

Yeah, I feel the same way - I don't think there is a chance we get all those guys either. Even your scenario seems overly optimistic. I also didn't think all the "we are going to get multiple 5 stars with Dior" hype was realistic either. So, maybe that's just me.

I would be thrilled with one of JJ or Chance (I like Copeland too) and Flip. That might be our most realistic shot at a great class. Taylor would be fantastic and could step right into BB's spot if he leaves after this season. So, I could maybe see 3 of these guys coming, but 2 seems more likely.

I'm not so sure Lands makes it here..

I'm not so sure Lands makes it here...
Lol, where's he going? Man, Dior really hurt you

Really? There is like $4 worth of stuff there. A photoshopped picture of him in an Auburn uniform, a UA sticker and his visitor badge laid out on a hotel bed is hardly Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. I'd take this and say if that's all it takes to impress a kid, this recruiting thing is way easier than I thought.
Missing: the southern belle “hostess” taking the picture

Last edited:
Curious why you’d think that? Has he given any indication that he’s not solid?
Not answering for 007, but I think people are concerned because he's never officially visited.

Perhaps that doesn't matter nor mean anything. Lands surprised the coaching staff with a commitment that they weren't expecting. In his early interviews, he indicated that he started paying attention to Syracuse years ago when we were recruiting his teammate, Isaiah Stewart, and that he liked us a lot from that point on. So maybe it doesn't matter, and he's psychologically invested. But until we get that visit... there's a risk.

Not answering for 007, but I think people are concerned because he's never officially visited.

Perhaps that doesn't matter nor mean anything. Lands surprised the coaching staff with a commitment that they weren't expecting. In his early interviews, he indicated that he started paying attention to Syracuse years ago when we were recruiting his teammate, Isaiah Stewart, and that he liked us a lot from that point on. So maybe it doesn't matter, and he's psychologically invested. But until we get that visit... there's a risk.
Fair enough and i agree there is some risk.. But I’d wager he’s interacted with staff & done his due diligence, even if it’s in “Covid-era type” Zoom sessions only.
Not sure how his relationships rate with current players, but short of a major face-plant or Frank Howard-like personality clash w/ someone on the team, he should be all in. We shall see.