Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

Baylor had zero top 50 players on their team last year. In recent seasons the veteran teams lacking elite hs players have outperformed teams loaded with top HS talent.
One hundred percent agree. The Dukes and Kentuckys in recent years have been loaded with 5-stars, which is nice, but they also haven't gotten past the EE in the tourney. The veteran teams have won the nattys (Baylor, UVA, 'Nova, UNC, etc.).

check out the HS rankings of the 2010 team..
Exception rather than the rule.

I would also add Scoop & Wes Johnson were both Top 50 players out of high school. Outside of Benny, nobody on the team was that highly thought of, nor are any of our incoming 5 guys next year.

I would also add Scoop & Wes Johnson were both Top 50 players out of high school. Outside of Benny, nobody on the team was that highly thought of, nor are any of our incoming 5 guys next year.
As Pat Moynihan said

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”​

Scoop was not a top 50 player. Plus, he was coming off an injury that cost him a year as a redshirt.

I don't think Wes was anywhere near top 50 coming out of high school. I just looked it up. Wes was not in the top 150 from rivals. He was listed as a 3 star recruit.

I would gladly take one or two bullets at some point.

Can only go so far with Top 75-100 type players.
Had a few sweet sixteens and a final four with those players, not too shabby.

I would gladly take one or two bullets at some point.

Can only go so far with Top 75-100 type players.

That would be dumb. Adding problem children to the locker room isn't a path to success on the court.

On the other hand, no disagreement that it would be nice to land some higher rated guys -- but that isn't correlated to them having baggage. The ones that do, we're smart to avoid.

That would be dumb. Adding problem children to the locker room isn't a path to success on the court.

On the other hand, no disagreement that it would be nice to land some higher rated guys -- but that isn't correlated to them having baggage. The ones that do, we're smart to avoid.
Interesting point. I don’t want to derail the thread, but you wonder if part of the reason we haven’t been getting a ton of top 75 guys in the last 5 or so years is because so many more of these guys have baggage, handlers, etc. And once it turns to that, JB backs off.

Look at next years class, look at Benny, hell look at our roster now. Do any of those guys seem like the type with baggage or issues? Nope, you could argue a lot of them show maturity for their age.

I am sure JB loves it old school. Meet the parents and build that relationship. Now? Between handlers aau coaches trainers high school coaches, cousins, uncles, etc. it’s a totally different deal.

Chance announces today...

More than likely Auburn.

has to be auburn. He’s been there this weekend. Would be tough to leave and say he had a great visit but I’m going to lsu.

Baylor says hello. IMO, the best chance we have to get back into the top 20 (and stay there) is exactly what they seem to be doing. Fill the roster with good players that know what the word team means and will be around a few years and then sprinkle in a one year stud that can put you over the top. Westry would be great, but he’s not coming here.

has to be auburn. He’s been there this weekend. Would be tough to leave and say he had a great visit but I’m going to lsu.
Not going to be LSU, at least according to some analysts' comments a few weeks back, when they said LSU was no longer in the mix. That being said, you never know with this recruiting stuff. Westry has seem to be all over the place, much like Zion Cruz.

As Pat Moynihan said

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”​

Scoop was not a top 50 player. Plus, he was coming off an injury that cost him a year as a redshirt.

You want to get the best players you can get, but the post factually incorrect. 3 of the last 6 final game participants didn’t even have a top 50 player.

3 of the last 4 Final game participants didn’t have a top 30 player.

There’s been one top ten HS player on the previous 5 National Champions(Justin Jackson 2017 UNC).

Baylor says hello. IMO, the best chance we have to get back into the top 20 (and stay there) is exactly what they seem to be doing. Fill the roster with good players that know what the word team means and will be around a few years and then sprinkle in a one year stud that can put you over the top. Westry would be great, but he’s not coming here.
Baylor is a bit of an aberration kind of like the 04 Pistons. You still need top 50 guys to win it all.

I don't think Wes was anywhere near top 50 coming out of high school. I just looked it up. Wes was not in the top 150 from rivals. He was listed as a 3 star recruit.
High School: He played at Corsicana High School for Coach Andy Dotson … He was ranked 47th among seniors by entering his senior campaign … Johnson averaged 15.2 points, 9.7 rebounds and 4.3 blocks as a senior in 2004-05 … He was named the 2005 Golden Circle Defensive Player of the Year and was a first-team all-district selection in 2004 and 2005 … Johnson played AAU basketball with the Dallas Mustangs

From his SU bio.

As Pat Moynihan said

Scoop was 54. I’m sorry. Missed it by 4.

High School: He played at Corsicana High School for Coach Andy Dotson … He was ranked 47th among seniors by entering his senior campaign … Johnson averaged 15.2 points, 9.7 rebounds and 4.3 blocks as a senior in 2004-05 … He was named the 2005 Golden Circle Defensive Player of the Year and was a first-team all-district selection in 2004 and 2005 … Johnson played AAU basketball with the Dallas Mustangs

From his SU bio.
47th SF maybe. Definitely not ranked in the top 100 according to CBB reference.

EDIT: he was ranked 340th out of High School.

https://2 4 7 sports.com/player/wesley-johnson-64726/

47th SF maybe. Definitely not ranked in the top 100 according to CBB reference.

EDIT: he was ranked 340th out of High School.

https://2 4 7 sports.com/player/wesley-johnson-64726/
Then his bio on SU’s site is incorrect. Not the first time.

I will say he was much better than a Top 50 player.

From his SU bio.
He was a 3 star recruit. ACCORDING TO RIVALS. I know I read somewhere else at the time he transferred to Syracuse that another rating service had him as a 2 star. I looked at the top 150 in one of those and he wasn't rated in that group. If you can find an actual rating service that him rated as a 4 star or a top 50 player, I would love to see it. I vaguely remember his brother saying that the reason he left Iowa St was because he didn't get the recruiting attention that he thought he deserved the first time around. Good for us. He was great.

Last edited: