Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

It’s not hindsight when many many posters on this board last spring were saying we needed at least one if not two experienced transfers to be a contender last season. It was talked about ad nauseum on here. There were reports that there assistants wanted to try to land at least one experienced forward out of the portal. Many posters who watched these kids in high school knew Bell and Taylor weren’t going to be ready for primetime. This is about JB’s roster building negligence, pure and simple. I’m not sure why you’re obsessed with making excuses for JB.
I’m not making excuses, I’m just stating an observation. JB has shown he was willing to take transfers in the past obviously something changed last year and he chose not to take any. There were no guarantees bell or Taylor would have been up to the task, but there were also no guarantees a 1 year rental would’ve been either. And we don’t even need to dive into whether or not there were even any options in the first place.

I was basically president of the Maliq Brown fan club, but we need to level up on talent across the board.

So, with that noted, what's the deal with Chance? A player like him seems perfect as a wing for us and can pair well with JJ and Judah.

We need more defense, more guys that can dribble and create, more athleticism.

I know we all want dead eye shooters to re-create the 2017 Golden St Warriors, but we need more than just that.

Ditto -- love his game. But he's not a shooter, and likely won't ever be. That doesn't mean that he can't be a quality, multi-year starter and a key contributor on future teams.

It's the coaching staff's job to recruit over him. And its Brown's job to ensure that he improves and doesn't let newcomers take his minutes.

Ditto -- love his game. But he's not a shooter, and likely won't ever be. That doesn't mean that he can't be a quality, multi-year starter and a key contributor on future teams.

It's the coaching staff's job to recruit over him. And its Brown's job to ensure that he improves and doesn't let newcomers take his minutes.

If you told me Maliq was basically a strong bench player for our team next year, I think that would be great. Smart player, in the right place, will produce... but hes not playing above the rim and hes not 6'10".

It is odd how many people want to hold onto the players from a 17-15 season.

At the same time I have mixed feelings about Westry. A year ago, we would have been thrilled with signing him. Now a year later were not sure. My thoughts are High school recruiting is for potential. The transfer portal is for production. JJ had some Fr production so I'm good with that move.

There are a lot of double digit, even 15 and 20 pts per game scorers out there that we should be pursuing but are not which concerns me that the old guard thinking and strategy is still around.
The Forth, Pace, Warrick group went to the NIT as freshmen. Good thing we held onto them.

We got who we got because our first choices turned us down. Back in the day other coaches lamented that they could not compete against us for recruits. My have times changed.
that was also a big part of it...but regardless boeheim wanted to build through recruiting freshman and eschewed the portal on principle

if you have to get recruits - and cant land the 5 stars - next best move is to go for the 4 year players a la villanova and uva...

i think now after this season it is clear that the portal is simply where its at for the best talent. but that hasnt always been obvious.

i think the recruiting class from last year - in a time before the portal - woulda been mega good - now, though, those types of players are much further down the totem pole unless you know they are staying around to build something then you might be able to lap the other teams playing the long game...

and i think thats exactly the way they thought it out

having a foundation of players that stick around from year to year for a while can be very valuable even in this era

i mean, portal players in a zone theyve never played before? every season? i can understand why JB didnt want that

if they decided - rightly or wrongly - that they couldnt build a top team overnight - then building slowly makes the most sense.

I also think he would feel grimey taking players from less scucessful coaches trying to grind it out to the top...i truly think he didnt want to play that game.

all that said, I hope red crushes the portal asap

We got 6 freshman because we were lazy in the portal
I get what you're saying but not sure it's exactly right. Think JB was trying to replenish the cupboard in his way. We were all happy when every one of those guys committed.
But, yes. No coach going forward will do it that way.

Why is it crazy to think that Westry might be a better player than Copeland? I loved the attitude that Quadir showed rooting on his teammates and whenever he got in the court he gave it everything. I am confident that he can become a good college player. But what did he do that was so great last year that demonstrates that we should ignore a guy that we prioritized over him a year ago like Westry?
High pressure D I want Copeland in the game.

I get what you're saying but not sure it's exactly right. Think JB was trying to replenish the cupboard in his way. We were all happy when every one of those guys committed.
But, yes. No coach going forward will do it that way.
We could have and should have done both!

Copeland has always been regarded as a poor defender. I’m not sure why people are now thinking he‘s some kind of defensive wonder?
He made a lot of mistakes like fouling 3-point shooters, but I think he can be a good defender. Love his energy, length and athleticism in the press -- he'll force turnovers. I'm very high on Copeland and think he'll develop into a great player for Red.

For me Copeland is a glue guy you develop and by his Junior season is starting. We can’t just portal 6 guys every year. That said it makes sense to grab Westry as well. It’s not a one or the other scenario. If he has lockdown defender dna in his game, to me that makes him a must get. We need one guy like that. Red going M2M needs a defender like Westry and a glass cleaner who makes it his business to board. Since I am speaking of wanting abilities on the team, I will say one more. I want Edwards to spend 3 weeks this summer with DC and I want DC to ingrain in Edwards that whenever he is in 5 ft of the rim he should be dunking. Send Edwards to Detroit and get a little bit of a mean streak.

westry’s a plus defender and solid distributor now as is.

He’s a plug and play. Copeland may have arguably a higher ceiling? Maybe? But he’s not there yet.

Get the 7 footer back along with Mintz and get wild with the versatile lineups to maximize matchups

Copeland has always been regarded as a poor defender. I’m not sure why people are now thinking he‘s some kind of defensive wonder?
Q seems to have the length and quickness to become a good defender. This can be coached.

As for playing PG…

Iron sharpens iron

If he’s got it in him, the best way to realize that is to put him up against the best defending guards in practice. Bring in Mr Westry
Yeah I hear you.

Chance has a rep as a good defender. We need some dogs that can defend 1-4 on any given play. This will allow Red to play a much more aggressive, switching man scheme.

I don’t think this is quite correct but I could be wrong. I thought the reports on him coming in was it was more that he was never was concentrated or Really tried/put effort into defense.

Based on my observations of Q this season, he appeared to be a strong defender and rebounder. Perhaps in HS he didn't show the intensity that I thought he displayed this past season. I think a man to man defense would fit his game quite nicely. Now if you look at his offensive skills, I was under whelmed with what he showed. Not to say that an intense off season of working on his shooting and other deficiencies can't be corrected. He's a flashy player but prone to a lot of bad turnovers.