Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

Hey, you may have a better read on that situation then anyone else here. I only base my POV on what I read and heard from trusted posters on this board. Pray tell, what might I have missed on the Quade recruitment that would indicate that it wasn't an all eggs in one basket situation?

Whenever a recruitment tanks like that one did, people are going to throw stones all over the place. If it was as easy as people seem to think it is, coaches would get paid a lot less than they do.

I like Westry, but Roddy would be excellent too. Either way, someone asking whether Westry and his Dad are "paying attention" to (put off by) SU's other SG offers has the situation backwards. It's been a year since SU offered Chance. He's had every opportunity to commit. So now the question is why Westry and his Dad can look around but not SU?
He’s still 2 years out. Not many commit this early. Give the kid a break. He’s going to be a junior in HS.

giphy.gif

Calipari has bragged that he can take any recruit away from any school if he wants. I see no reason to doubt's Cal's position on that as he can bring to bear a combination of legitimate and nefarious methods that are exceeded only by Duke.
Didn’t work out that way with Anselem.

Didn’t work out that way with Anselem.

That does not prove or disprove anything. We don’t know how hard UK was reallygoing after him. And I’m not saying that just because Cal might go hard after him that he’s gone. I’m just saying it is worthy of concern.

Hey, you may have a better read on that situation then anyone else here. I only base my POV on what I read and heard from trusted posters on this board. Pray tell, what might I have missed on the Quade recruitment that would indicate that it wasn't an all eggs in one basket situation?
the offer to duval

We passed on a host of players ranked between Duval and Howard Washington. That was eggs in one basket followed by desperation plan C. It’s OK to have a nuanced take on this, every staff makes mistakes. Our recruiting has been mediocre for a few years and it’s great to see us back on the upswing.
as things played out we ended up counting on quade, but it was never a strategy
and the simple fact is his was not the only offer

He’s still 2 years out. Not many commit this early. Give the kid a break. He’s going to be a junior in HS.
I don't think anyone is criticizing him. He can take his time. I just think many feel if you can get a commitment from a similar talent, you take it instead of waiting around.

Last edited:
Anyway, sports fans, relax a bit. Westry is a 2022 guy. There are only 30 guys committed in the ESPN Top 100 in the class of 2021. That's the class a whole year before Westry!

You know how many guys are committed right now in the 2022 class from the ESPN Top 60?

Two! And we've got one of them!

So simmaaaahhhhhh daaaaawn naaaaaaah with whatever imaginary time table y'all are running off of.

But are they all in our basket?

all-eggs-in-one-basket-cartoon-vector-3209024.jpg

He's transferring to LA to finish HS? Um ok. Seems like he's moving from 100% Cuse to 100% gone. Am I reading the situation incorrectly or is it time to wish him luck and divert resources?

He's transferring to LA to finish HS? Um ok. Seems like he's moving from 100% Cuse to 100% gone. Am I reading the situation incorrectly or is it time to wish him luck and divert resources?

Wants to play with better players and against tougher competition.

No different than kids transferring to Brewster or Oak Hill.

Wants to play with better players and against tougher competition.
LA's a long way from Brewster and Oak Hill, although who knows the reasons for this. Regardless .. I'm not invested. BOL to the young man wherever he goes. My issue is I don't want us tilting at windmills. Happy to see us pursuing other candidates.

Last edited:
Time to start recruiting bronny?

He's not that good. Damn the rankings. That's the power of LeBron's brand.

Re: Chance. Makes no sense for an elite prospect to ride someone else's wave in order to win. I said the same about Cole Anthony when he ditched Molloy to go to Oak Hill when he actually had pieces to win the NYCHSAA title at one point.