Class of 2019 - SG Khalif Battle (NJ) | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SG Khalif Battle (NJ)

SU must know him and the family pretty well. He's clearly a talented kid that would be a nice replacement for Girard. He checks a lot of boxes as to what SU needs. If he's got immediate eligibility next year which is a big if, and if he is a coachable kid and there is a good explanation as to why he left mid season, why wouldn't SU take a look. We'll know in the next few days...

Need 4 guards that fit the system imo, not just 4 guards fwiw
well i hope there isnt a "system" to fit

it's not really that hard to just develop a scheme for whatever talent is on hand, imo

and that's a way better way to do things in this current landscape...the teams that can reinvent themselves every year will be the ones that thrive

fwiw...if jj and judah are the starters - will need some shooting from the backups most likely...

if he can graduate, he can transfer again, that seems to be only way out
No. He had a waiver the first time he transferred and the rule that players could transfer without sitting didn't start until 2022. He should be able to transfer without sitting even if he isn't a grad transfer. The transferring multiple times issue is for kids who transfer multiple times after 2022 before graduating.

Last edited:
No. He had a waiver the first time he transferred and the rule that players could transfer without sitting didn't start until 2022. He should be able to transfer without sitting even if he isn't a grad transfer. The transferring multiple times issue is for kids who transfer multiple times after 2022 before graduating.

Unless the NCAA is allowing a re-set of everyone who transferred prior to 2022 then I don't believe this is accurate. Having already transferred once he would need to either be a graduate transfer or get a waiver to play next year.

Unless the NCAA is allowing a re-set of everyone who transferred prior to 2022 then I don't believe this is accurate. Having already transferred once he would need to either be a graduate transfer or get a waiver to play next year.
Doesn't McKie leaving allow anyone from Temple to transfer without the sit-out year as long as they still have eligibility left?

Doesn't McKie leaving allow anyone from Temple to transfer without the sit-out year as long as they still have eligibility left?

No, there's no coach leaving exemption. Your thinking of in certain cases if there is some sort of major scandal the NCAA has occasionally given players a waiver but those are extremely rare.

No, there's no coach leaving exemption. Your thinking of in certain cases if there is some sort of major scandal the NCAA has occasionally given players a waiver but those are extremely rare.
That use to be when kids committed and then the coach left or was fired they were given the opportunity to transfer but that was eliminated when the transfer portal rule came into effect.

"Current athletes who have already transferred during their careers do not qualify under the new rule—they cannot transfer again and be immediately eligible without filing a waiver. The NCAA will continue using a waiver system for individual transfer requests from athletes who have already moved schools once and are seeking immediate eligibility, but the waiver criteria is expected to be more stringent."

You're correct, although I can't see kids who have already transferred once and had to sit not being able to transfer a second time and getting immediate eligibility.

Its essentially bad PR to not sign a run off waiver when there is a coaching change. 99% of schools will sign the waiver for immediate eligibility.

Its essentially bad PR to not sign a run off waiver when there is a coaching change. 99% of schools will sign the waiver for immediate eligibility.

It's not up to the School, only the NCAA can grant an immediate eligibility waiver.

im not an expert so i wont comment on the rules anymore but I would say that since/ especially JJ has signed with us, we probably won't be pursuing an additional 2 guard. i think continuing to devote more time to Khalif discussion is maybe not worthwhile

We just landed JJ, I don't see them adding another top calibre guard unless they think that Judah won't return.
i hope they dont go with the recent JB strategy of decent starting 5 and nothing else...

need good players on the bench...

3 good guards, for example, would all get plenty of playing time

any player who actually wants to win would be fine with being a rotation of 3 or 4

It's not up to the School, only the NCAA can grant an immediate eligibility waiver.
Right but if the previous school signs off on the run off waiver then it was most likely be approved. If the previous school doesn’t sign off on a run off waiver than theres a 100% chance for rejection.

The previous school doesn’t want to be the reason for a kid not being immediately eligible. This is how multi transfer kids are getting immediately eligibility without being a grad transfer.

im not an expert so i wont comment on the rules anymore but I would say that since/ especially JJ has signed with us, we probably won't be pursuing an additional 2 guard. i think continuing to devote more time to Khalif discussion is maybe not worthwhile
Depends on who departs from our current roster. At this moment, we have Starling, Mintz, Girard, Taylor, Torrence, and Copeland as guards on the team. The guardhouse is crammed full.

If we lose Torrence and Girard as expected, we have four guards. Getting another one doesn't seem crazy, especially when Taylor and Copeland have played more 3 than 2 so far in their careers. Well also be playing two combo guards as starters with two 2-3 guys as their backups. I'd want a point guard added to the rotation in this case.

If we lose Mintz or anybody else we HAVE to recruit another guard from transfers or high school. Especially if Mintz goes pro, we can't risk having two completely unproven guys and a soph transfer (even one as high upside as Starling) as our guard rotation.

Right but if the previous school signs off on the run off waiver then it was most likely be approved. If the previous school doesn’t sign off on a run off waiver than theres a 100% chance for rejection.

The previous school doesn’t want to be the reason for a kid not being immediately eligible. This is how multi transfer kids are getting immediately eligibility without being a grad transfer.
It's moot in Battle's case because he's set to graduate in May. Will have immediate eligibility even though he's already transferred and his coach doesn't meet the criteria of being under investigation or whatnot. He'll be the rare grad transfer who will have 2 years of eligibility remaining.