Class of 2021 - SG Lucas Taylor (NC) Portal from Georgia State | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Lucas Taylor (NC) Portal from Georgia State

A line up of Moore, JJ, Chance and Bell would have to get murdered on the boards, wouldn't they?

Depends.

On matchups.

And who we're playing.

This isn't the days of zone defense, where we automatically should expect to get slaughtered on the boards like we have in the past. Smaller players can rebound effectively if they have the right hustle / tenacity / toughness / quickness to the ball.

But sure, against some opponents going small will create that challenge. Against others, the smaller / perimeter oriented lineup might work to OUR favor, and force the opponent out of a bigger lineup to match up with US.

This isn't directed at you, just a general comment.

I think people need to stop being so locked into traditional roles / positions. I expect to see lineups where we're playing guys like Chance / JJ / Moore at the same time. Maybe even alongside Bell, who I'm sure most would agree is a traditional 3.

Which one is the 1? The 2? The 3?

Not sure that it matters in the modern era.

Again, just a general comment -- not really directed at your post. I expect Moore and Westry to man the "3" at various times, just based upon the lineup. But not sure that it really matters.

Carlos will handle the ball. So will JJ. So will Chance. And so will Cuffe. Positional versatility will create lots of funky small ball lineups.
Well, I watched an NCAA final between two teams who had clearly designated point guards. The other positions were pretty much interchangeable, but having a guy who can organize and run an offense, and distribute the ball is still a crucial skill, imo.

Well, I watched an NCAA final between two teams who had clearly designated point guards. The other positions were pretty much interchangeable, but having a guy who can organize and run an offense, and distribute the ball is still a crucial skill, imo.

Cappy, I agree, No more important position in college basketball, IMO. I'm the biggest lead guard proponent on this board.

Also agree 100% that the rest are interchangeable to a degree, depending on skill sets.

We were dead last in the ACC in offensive and defensive rebounding last year, it cant get any worse
Well... It could get worse. We could be dead last by a greater margin...

Not that i expect that. I do hope they've reviewed film and saw how many times McLeod actually moved away from the ball/rim on rebouding opportunities. He often looked like he was actively trying to avoid a rebound. No exaggeration.

This isn't directed at you, just a general comment.

I think people need to stop being so locked into traditional roles / positions. I expect to see lineups where we're playing guys like Chance / JJ / Moore at the same time. Maybe even alongside Bell, who I'm sure most would agree is a traditional 3.

Which one is the 1? The 2? The 3?

Not sure that it matters in the modern era.

Again, just a general comment -- not really directed at your post. I expect Moore and Westry to man the "3" at various times, just based upon the lineup. But not sure that it really matters.

Carlos will handle the ball. So will JJ. So will Chance. And so will Cuffe. Positional versatility will create lots of funky small ball lineups.
That’s fair and in agreement with your points. But with that being said I still would prefer having the experienced college player with LT slotting into a 3 guard lineup, than Moore. Who is coming in underrated and will still get some run this upcoming season even with LT.

I see a lot of fans saying this, Westry is not a PG. You could classify him as a CG or SF but hes not a PG. Can he play there for time periods, sure. Im pretty high on Carlos because of the fit, scoring big, elite shooter, JJ, high ceiling PF.
So you know this how? I’m just asking because you seem to know and I’m curious where you’re coming with that.

He hasn’t been healthy at the college level or even really played in two years and had lead guard skills coming out of hs.

So you know this how? I’m just asking because you seem to know and I’m curious where you’re coming with that.

He hasn’t been healthy at the college level or even really played in two years and had lead guard skills coming out of hs.
Chance has no true position, he can play wherever you need him most. Essentially a more polished Copeland that has been hurt for 2 years. He could be lead guard if you needed him to but that's not where he will be most effective. He has the vision of a lead guard but he's not one, handle isn't tight enough.

I see a lot of fans saying this, Westry is not a PG. You could classify him as a CG or SF but hes not a PG. Can he play there for time periods, sure. Im pretty high on Carlos because of the fit, scoring big, elite shooter, JJ, high ceiling PF.

I tend to agree. Time will tell.

But I think some posters get confused by a guy making a slick pass, or handling the ball in the open floor, and extrapolating that to "...he can play the point."

Used to drive me nuts when people would suggest that about players like Paul Harris, who could push the ball in transition but clearly lacked the overall skills to run a half-court offense.

Remains to be seen whether Westry will be in the former or latter category.

But I do expect [in lieu of the coaching staff reeling in another pure point to supplement Carlos] to see some combination of JJ / Westry / Cuffe chipping in with ball handling responsibilities.

Cappy, I agree, No more important position in college basketball, IMO. I'm the biggest lead guard proponent on this board.

Also agree 100% that the rest are interchangeable to a degree, depending on skill sets.
When we had good lead guards, we did well. Sherm, Sims, Billy, Jason, Trich, Scoop, MCW, Ennis.

Well... It could get worse. We could be dead last by a greater margin...

Not that i expect that. I do hope they've reviewed film and saw how many times McLeod actually moved away from the ball/rim on rebouding opportunities. He often looked like he was actively trying to avoid a rebound. No exaggeration.
McLeod had 11.8 rebounds per 40. He wasn't our major rebounding problem.

McLeod had 11.8 rebounds per 40. He wasn't our major rebounding problem.
each team gets 70 + possessions per game approx.

reducing everything down to simple numbers like these misses the nuance of the game...

what if a player got 11/game/40min...but shouldve had 25?

or what if they get 5 blocks a game but give up 10 dunks a game? is that actually good?

what are they doing on the possessions they dont get a stat?? matador status??? or still playing tough?? etc

each team gets 70 + possessions per game approx.

reducing everything down to simple numbers like these misses the nuance of the game...

what if a player got 11/game/40min...but shouldve had 25?

or what if they get 5 blocks a game but give up 10 dunks a game? is that actually good?

what are they doing on the possessions they dont get a stat?? matador status??? or still playing tough?? etc
Blocks and steals are often fool's gold. Advanced metrics have stats to cover actual defensive proficiency. Although, I do prefer the eye test...I am old. With regard to rebounds, I tend to trust the per 40 numbers. But again, the eye test is best (for me). Tyler Roberson, when his head was right, gobbled rebounds like few others we've ever had. Obviously DC was great and Rony was great. The fact that we had DC and Rony at the same time is ridiculous. And then DC and Billy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom