Class of 2022 - SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch)

Schools like Kansas and Arizona and unc put 1st rounders in the draft every year and top 10 picks. CUSE doesn’t unfortunately. So until this happens often, these kids will always consider these schools no matter what is going on

Schools like Kansas and Arizona and unc put 1st rounders in the draft every year and top 10 picks. CUSE doesn’t unfortunately. So until this happens often, these kids will always consider these schools no matter what is going on
We had a nice streak going not too long ago. It would be nice to get that going again.

Thing is we did that fairly often not too long ago

Hey Bulldog, I think you accidentally posted this on the wrong board!

This is such a tired narrative but I agree that kids buy it. It’s correlation not causation. Those schools have recruited NBA talent, so that talent ends up in the NBA. Programs get way to much credit for “producing” first round picks.

But Hurley tells every kid he’ll make them a 1st rounder even though he’s literally never done it lol

This is such a tired narrative but I agree that kids buy it. It’s correlation not causation. Those schools have recruited NBA talent, so that talent ends up in the NBA. Programs get way to much credit for “producing” first round picks.

Agreed, but JB puts kids in the 1st round that weren't projected as such out of HS like the kids these coaches get.

problem is our fanbase talks about picks from years and years ago like Waiters and McW and these recruits literally care about the last 2 years. Kids do not care about traditions of programs. I know some people hate when I say that but they literally do not care at all. Kids want to play in the nba...

sorry I know that post isn’t about Roddy but it addresses the school and how they recruit and what the schools these kids look at and why they are looking at them

problem is our fanbase talks about picks from years and years ago like Waiters and McW and these recruits literally care about the last 2 years. Kids do not care about traditions of programs. I know some people hate when I say that but they literally do not care at all. Kids want to play in the nba...

sorry I know that post isn’t about Roddy but it addresses the school and how they recruit and what the schools these kids look at and why they are looking at them
It's true. It is difficult to build and maintain a program on an uneven playing field. That is why getting a Benny and getting a Dior start to build things back, and grabs the attention of other highly ranked recruits. I know you know this, but we have been a very good program competing against cheaters. Some may point their fingers to us and say that we are the ones that have been caught cheating. But, if people would do their homework, they would see minor infractions compared to the systematic paying of players over years. Or, the academic fraud at North Carolina. We were hammered while they have gotten nothing. Still, here we are. And now, with guys like Benny and Dior and whoever chooses to join them, we are going to be even better.

I’ll have to disagree with this. Boeheim was the coach then and he’s the coach now. They care about his track record of putting kids in the draft, and we had a really good years-long streak of first rounders going a few years ago. He has a proven track record of getting kids to the NBA. And kids do care about fan base and tradition because they want to be in the spotlight, and Syracuse is a premier program (though not a blue blood) where they can be in the spotlight and get lots of media attention. But I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I’ll have to disagree with this. Boeheim was the coach then and he’s the coach now. They care about his track record of putting kids in the draft, and we had a really good years-long streak of first rounders going a few years ago. He has a proven track record of getting kids to the NBA. And kids do care about fan base and tradition because they want to be in the spotlight, and Syracuse is a premier program (though not a blue blood) where they can be in the spotlight and get lots of media attention. But I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

All valid points. I don’t come here to argue with anyone and I enjoy the conversations of everyone. I just share stuff that is shared with the staff and also my opinion from being very close to the program and why kids say no to coming to Cuse. What we see as fans is very true upon what you are saying, but these 17/18 year olds I’m just saying are very different than the way we see things. They live so much in the present it’s crazy.

First rounders last four years - AZ = 2; KU = 1; SU = 2 (0 last 2 years).

Alas though, perception is reality.

First rounders last four years - AZ = 2; KU = 1; SU = 2 (0 last 2 years).

Alas though, perception is reality.
We have 1 last four years no?

But it would certainly help perception if our recent first rounders were any good. It’s not our fault what they do once they get into the NBA, but that is the key thing hurting the perception in my mind.

We have 1 last four years no?

But it would certainly help perception if our recent first rounders were any good. It’s not our fault what they do once they get into the NBA, but that is the key thing hurting the perception in my mind.

I counted Richardson and Lydon. Agree with your second point. What's interesting is that the talent being drafted out of the "blue bloods" is not exactly dominating the NBA. Only two (three if you count Westbrook and UCLA) schools are represented - Davis/UK and Tatum/Duke.

All-in-all, we need a perception bump if we are going to recruit high 5* players again consistently. Dior making it to campus should certainly help.

I counted Richardson and Lydon. Agree with your second point. What's interesting is that the talent being drafted out of the "blue bloods" is not exactly dominating the NBA. Only two (three if you count Westbrook and UCLA) schools are represented - Davis/UK and Tatum/Duke.

All-in-all, we need a perception bump if we are going to recruit high 5* players again consistently. Dior making it to campus should certainly help.
We need this KID!

All valid points. I don’t come here to argue with anyone and I enjoy the conversations of everyone. I just share stuff that is shared with the staff and also my opinion from being very close to the program and why kids say no to coming to Cuse. What we see as fans is very true upon what you are saying, but these 17/18 year olds I’m just saying are very different than the way we see things. They live so much in the present it’s crazy.
Appreciate you! If you had to rank 3 unsigned future recruits you believe are most into Cuse at this moment?

Roddy. Riley. Chance but that’s not really new news. The future is Dior and the kid they want from Canada (Fisher). But I expect Roddy to be the next commit
How does rhe staff feel about Dior at the moment?

Roddy. Riley. Chance but that’s not really new news. The future is Dior and the kid they want from Canada (Fisher). But I expect Roddy to be the next commit
Elijah Fisher is an amazing player on both ends of the floor. He would be a huge get. Bulldog, is it too early to get a feel for him? Obviously we are and will continue to recruit him hard, but sometimes recruits just want things that we can’t provide.

Schools like THAT HAVE A LONG HISTORY OF CHEATING LIKE Kansas and Arizona and unc put 1st rounders in the draft every year and top 10 picks. CUSE doesn’t unfortunately. So until this happens often, these kids will always consider these schools no matter what is going on
True on paper, but as you said above every school mentioned has a legacy of systematic cheating in recruiting. UNC's 18-year eligibility scam avoided disaster because of a gutless NCAA. But there's hope that Zona and KU are going to get time in the barrel. If they do, the "perception" out there may dissipate.

Last edited:
I'm a long time SU and JB fan, but glass houses. He is a twice guilty cheater, and I know for a fact that with the first probation, a lot of worse stuff stayed out of sight.
Not saying we weren't keeping up with the Joneses, but facts are facts.

I'm a long time SU and JB fan, but glass houses. He is a twice guilty cheater, and I know for a fact that with the first probation, a lot of worse stuff stayed out of sight.
Not saying we weren't keeping up with the Joneses, but facts are facts.
If they could have proven a lot worse stuff, they would have. Period. We all hear things. you know for a fact. did you witness this cheating?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom