Class of 2022 - SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch) | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch)

Well, if Bell is here, he is a starter.
Sure, but I’d be disappointed if Red didn’t have a guy ready on the bench to jump in if Bell goes quiet.

He reminds me a bit of Elijah Hughe’s first year playing here. Some halfs he was the best player on the court, some halfs he faded into the backround. The team, as is now, can’t handle Bell being ineffective

Gotta have the best player on the court at all times unless Bell changes his approach on defense a bit. Totally possible.

Prefer Gayle to Leffew. Bigger, (it’s more than height unless we r back to the zone) stronger, better defensively, tougher competition his whole career. Known quantity. Don’t think Red can afford mistakes.

Well - the most BIGLY mistake Red can make at this juncture, is NOT having a proper PG to run the show.

Gayle isn’t a PG.
JJ isn’t a PG.

We need an actual PG.
Point blank. Period.

Not yet another combo guard trying to learn how to be a PG on the job.

Well - the most BIGLY mistake Red can make at this juncture, is NOT having a proper PG to run the show.

Gayle isn’t a PG.
JJ isn’t a PG.

We need an actual PG.
Point blank. Period.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to add Gayle and just keep stacking talent/depth because we've lacked that for a long time now. Idk if we can afford a bunch of guys like this and get them all to buy in for playing time but the #1 priority for us is pg.

Gayle hit a high percentage on 49 3 point attempts. He’s never been a good shooter and this season where he got to take a lot of shots showed that. He’s a pretty talented player but he’s neither a PG or a perimeter shooter.
82% free throw shooters usually means a player can shoot...in fact, hard to think of anyone that shoots FTs like that that cannot knock down some 3s...

maybe just had an off year?

Gayle isn’t a PG.
JJ isn’t a PG.

We need an actual PG.
Point blank. Period.

That is precisely what Leffew is.

82% free throw shooters usually means a player can shoot...in fact, hard to think of anyone that shoots FTs like that that cannot knock down some 3s...

It’s probably not super common. Demar DeRozan is one that immediately comes to mind.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to add Gayle and just keep stacking talent/depth because we've lacked that for a long time now. Idk if we can afford a bunch of guys like this and get them all to buy in for playing time but the #1 priority for us is pg.
We don’t need the mess we had this year with playing time. If Gayle wants to come on board and be a role player fine, otherwise we should pass. We need a point guard first and foremost and he has to be able to shoot.

It really is going to happen that at various times all of Judah Mintz, Quadir Copeland, JJ Starling, Chance Westry and Roddy Gayle are all going to be Syracuse players.

Crazy.
And the first two commits of the class, Kamari and Dior Johnson, never even got close to campus!

I don’t think you can compare the two,NBA league average on ft is around 77-78%, basically everyone shoots good ft percentage but not so much on the 3.I could probably hit 75 percent from foul line but 3 point percentage might be single digits.

Sure, but I’d be disappointed if Red didn’t have a guy ready on the bench to jump in if Bell goes quiet.

He reminds me a bit of Elijah Hughe’s first year playing here. Some halfs he was the best player on the court, some halfs he faded into the backround. The team, as is now, can’t handle Bell being ineffective

Gotta have the best player on the court at all times unless Bell changes his approach on defense a bit. Totally possible.
I agree. Bell is a great shooter. Not much else. We need him, no doubt, but we are just on a hamster wheel if we expect different results from these kinds of one dimensional players we’ve been starting for several years now. If anyone watched the teams play last night, they should realize the gap we’re facing. We absolutely need to recruit over Bell. Honestly, JJ too. We need a PG as well. I mean, we lack toughness and scoring diversity and any semblance of a well executing team.

I remember growing up we’d play pickup and then go to a park where 20-30 year old men were playing. Such a difference. That’s like watching Cuse play with Chris Bell and then watching UConn play. Boys vs Men. I like Bell a lot. When I first saw him shoot last year I texted my buddy and said he might have the nicest stroke I’ve ever seen. But we can’t win big with the type of players we have. That’s actually why a Roddy Gale addition makes sense. Brings some toughness.

I wouldn't. And I like Gayle. But he can't play the pt. Leffew can.
You may be 100% correct but "can't" may be a bit too strong in Gayle's case. Clearly, he HASN'T played the point in college (yet) but he certainly appears to have the skill set needed to run the point if asked to.

Leffew never played PG before last season, but he successfully made the transition, steadily improving at the position as the season progressed.

Well Gayle has a similar skill set as Leffew - handles, good shooting form (the drop in 3-pt% this season may have been due to a wrist injury), three level scoring ability, a strong finisher with either hand, athletic, prototype height/build for a PG, rebounds well for a G and he's an above average/willing passer as his 3 assists a game as a SG demonstrates. He's also a solid defender. So like Leffew, Gayle may also do well switching to point guard. And it may ultimately be a better path to the NBA for him.

So IF - obviously I don't know any inside info - but if Red is indeed after Gayle to be his PG, maybe he's thinking and also selling RG on giving him the ball and developing him to play the point to better improve his pro prospects - learning from one of the better PG's in Syracuse's long history of producing solid PGs. It might not be a bad idea if that's the plan. Gayle is very talented, he just may be able to successfully make the switch.

I don’t think you can compare the two,NBA league average on ft is around 77-78%, basically everyone shoots good ft percentage but not so much on the 3.I could probably hit 75 percent from foul line but 3 point percentage might be single digits.
nba 3 and college 3 is way different

pretty sure NBA players would shoot ridiculous percentages from NCAA 3 fwiw

You have absolutely zero clue what sort of relationship he holds with coaches or what he’s looking for to buy into a program. A sixth man could get more time and NIL than starters in certain scenarios.

Aside from JJ, there’s not one player on this team who’s in the universe of guaranteed starter.
I think 4 starters are in stone. Only the lead guard is open

nba 3 and college 3 is way different

pretty sure NBA players would shoot ridiculous percentages from NCAA 3 fwiw
Most guys in NBA played college ball.
My point is simple, lots of guys can make free throws, 3 pointers not so much.

Are we forgetting that free throws are unguarded? Huge difference from shooting in game action.

Are we forgetting that free throws are unguarded? Huge difference from shooting in game action.
im sure the coaches have his advanced analytics

interesting to see the difference on wide-open vs unguarded...and set vs in motion

bell, for example, didnt have a high % when moving, apparently - so thats why they say they didnt run plays for him to shoot 3s

maybe gayle needs plays to get his 3s off well...maybe OSU's offense was poor at getting him his types of 3s

anyone shooting 82% FTs oughtta be able to be pretty good from 3, imo

They got lampkin from Five Below.
What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

Gayle isn’t a PG.
JJ isn’t a PG.

We need an actual PG.
Point blank. Period.

I agree that we need an actual pg. Don’t want to settle just for any point guard.

I want an actual real good point guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom