Class of 2022 - SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch) | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch)

Well - the most BIGLY mistake Red can make at this juncture, is NOT having a proper PG to run the show.

Gayle isn’t a PG.
JJ isn’t a PG.

We need an actual PG.
Point blank. Period.

Not yet another combo guard trying to learn how to be a PG on the job.

Think of Gayle's role as this: (1) Copeland is gone; (2) Westry is still uncertain as to his health; (3) Gayle can be seen as insurance for Westry, and (4) Gayle showed enough as a 3 point shooter that he could slot in at SF if Bell isn't playing well, or with enough effort.

Remember, it's not only about the starting 5. It's about the starting NINE. Gayle played in the Big 10. He will add toughness to this lineup.

Think of Gayle's role as this: (1) Copeland is gone; (2) Westry is still uncertain as to his health; (3) Gayle can be seen as insurance for Westry, and (4) Gayle showed enough as a 3 point shooter that he could slot in at SF if Bell isn't playing well, or with enough effort.

Remember, it's not only about the starting 5. It's about the starting NINE. Gayle played in the Big 10. He will add toughness to this lineup.
He's going to want to start that's why he left OSU.

new coach, but I believe the assistant who took over was his lead recruiter so who knows.
Correct and another strange reason. Again the only thing I can think of is what I stated up about Johnson coming back to OSU.

I would love to have Gayle but with that being said he and JJ are virtually the same players. Both are going to get most of their points driving to the basket. Neither is a GREAT 3 point shooter but both can make it.

I also would be interested to see how Red would work out the rotation. If we get Gayle. There’s a chance we could have

PG-Mack
SG-Starling
SF- Bell

Then you have Gayle, Westry, Moore and Cuffe
You know Gayle isn’t coming here unless he gets big minutes. If Westry is healthy he can play the 1 to the 3. Moore is a great shooter so he’ll minutes. Cuffe seems like the odd man out.

If we get Mack then I’d have to think that eliminates Gayle.

I would love to have Gayle but with that being said he and JJ are virtually the same players. Both are going to get most of their points driving to the basket. Neither is a GREAT 3 point shooter but both can make it.

I also would be interested to see how Red would work out the rotation. If we get Gayle. There’s a chance we could have

PG-Mack
SG-Starling
SF- Bell

You know Gayle isn’t coming here unless he gets big minutes. If Westry is healthy he can play the 1 to the 3. Moore is a great shooter so he’ll minutes. Cuffe seems like the odd man out.
Is Mack a legit possibility?

PG-Mack
SG-Starling
SF- Bell

Gayle's a little bigger and probably a better defender and rebounder than JJ. I could see Gayle as a guy who slots in for a few minutes as the SF in a 3 guard lineup, like we used to do with Coleman, Judah & JJ this past season.

Again, I think Gayle and Westry are the 2 guys who might be more redundant (as opposed to Gayle and JJ), and while we hope to see the Westry from HS, we just don't know what he'll be able to offer after 2 knee injuries.

Gayle's a little bigger and probably a better defender and rebounder than JJ. I could see Gayle as a guy who slots in for a few minutes as the SF in a 3 guard lineup, like we used to do with Coleman, Judah & JJ this past season.

Again, I think Gayle and Westry are the 2 guys who might be more redundant (as opposed to Gayle and JJ), and while we hope to see the Westry from HS, we just don't know what he'll be able to offer after 2 knee injuries.
Do you think a player of Gayle’s caliber is coming here to come off the bench? If we didn’t have JJ I’d be all for it, but he’s Reds guy and his lack of shooting makes it problematic to put someone else who can’t shoot at the 1 or 3.

Do you think a player of Gayle’s caliber is coming here to come off the bench? If we didn’t have JJ I’d be all for it, but he’s Reds guy and his lack of shooting makes it problematic to put someone else who can’t shoot at the 1 or 3.

I think Red's job is to tell prospects who we have, and that there will be open competition. No promises, but the best guys will play, and the top 8 or 9 guys should see 20-30 minutes a game. That would be my pitch.

I wonder what the sales pitch would be?? Copeland role? I don't understand the fit on our end to similar to the starter who logs a ton of minutes.

You have to pitch a rotation, and how the pieces fit together.
You need more than 5 guys on your team. You need 8 or 9 who can play and contribute.

I think we'll have a spot. The question is, is he willing to come here w no guarantees, no starting spot wide open, no guarantee 6 man and compete for minutes.

I think we'll have a spot. The question is, is he willing to come here w no guarantees, no starting spot wide open, no guarantee 6 man and compete for minutes.
We add Davis/Leffew that will leave us with 2 open spots. Possible flyer on the kid that looks 12? That leaves us with 1. Will be interesting to see how they decide to fill the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom