Class of 2022 - SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch)

Count me in the group that wants this kid more than anyone in his class, outside of Dior of course, but that’s not even by all that much. I hope I’m wrong, and Chance really can play on the back line of the zone with his size, but I just don’t see it right now, which means absolutely zilch. There’s still a ton of time before any of ‘em suit up, and nothing is set in stone yet anyway. Who knows who is here by then. And I agree with those that think Kadary can handle the 3 spot on D.

Hell, maybe Roddy adds a couple inches, and ends up being able to play the 3 on D, but he was really built to play up top for us. Chance too. I do think it’s likely that by the time Roddy is ready for big time minutes, he will be strong enough to hold his own banging down low. He knows how important it is to work on his body, not just his game, and he has a frame that is similar to someone like Dion, in my opinion. Just a matter of filling it out.

Kid is gonna be an absolute menace. Just hope that it’s for us, and not against us. Add ‘em all, and worry about the rest later. JB is as good as they come in that department, so I’m not worried about it. His dad definitely seems like a great influence, and has raised Roddy Jr. well, so they will do what’s best for him. Hopefully that’s staying close to home, playing in the best conference, in front of the best fans, and in the best atmosphere in college ball.

When you watch Roddy play, you can tell he knows the game of basketball, and that it basically comes naturally to him, like he was born to ball. So it wasn’t surprising to find out that his dad played at LaSalle, and has trained him since day one. Never a bad thing to have kids with basketball genetics. No matter where he ends up, I’ll be rooting for the kid. It’s impossible not to once you learn more about him.

Last edited:
The more tape I watch on him the more I think I would take Roddy Gayle in a heartbeat, even at the cost of Westry and/or Cruz.

Even though the guard position could be crowded, I think SU has a great shot at Roddy. He is one of those rare stud players that actually wants to stay home and play for his local high school. Just the kind of player that will want to stick around and play college in his back yard.

The absolute PERFECT scenario would be

2021: Benny Williams, and Mac

2022: Dior, Westry, Gayle, JJ and a player at the 4 spot

We need Gayle because Westry is a 2/3 and he’s likely a 2 year player. We need JJ because he might have low minutes his first year (MCW) but Dior is a one and done. Then JJ steps right on and takes over in year 2.

Ideally the perfect and honestly a possible roster for 2022-2023 would be

PG-Dior
SG-JG3
SF-Benny
PF-Frank
C-Mac

Rotation:
Kadary
Westry
Newton/Ajak
Just outside the rotation
JJ
Gayle
Another versatile sf/pf

Then 2023-2024 you could have a line up of

PG-JJ
SG-Kadary
SF-Westry
PF-Frank
C-Mac

rotation
Gayle
Ajak
Newton

and whoever else they bring aboard in that class.

OBVIOUSLY this is a LONG ways away but I think these are the scenarios we should be shooting for. This is includes some likely transfers and players going pro if these scenarios workout. Including Jesse and Quincy

We need Gayle because Westry is a 2/3 and he’s likely a 2 year player. We need JJ because he might have low minutes his first year (MCW) but Dior is a one and done. Then JJ steps right on and takes over in year 2.

PG-Dior
SG-JG3
SF-Benny
PF-Frank
C-Mac

Rotation:
Kadary
Westry
Newton/Ajak
JJ
Gayle
Another versatile sf/pf

PG-JJ
SG-Kadary
SF-Westry
PF-Frank
C-Mac

rotation
Gayle
Ajak
Newton

OBVIOUSLY this is a LONG ways away but I think these are the scenarios we should be shooting for. This is includes some likely transfers and players going pro if these scenarios workout. Including Jesse and Quincy
You think we have a shot at JJ?

PG-Dior
SG-JG3
SF-Benny
PF-Frank
C-Mac

Rotation:
Kadary
Westry
Newton/Ajak
JJ
Gayle
Another versatile sf/pf

PG-JJ
SG-Kadary
SF-Westry
PF-Frank
C-Mac

rotation
Gayle
Ajak
Newton

If they can get Mac, hopefully one more for 21, given typical attrition.

For 22 I don't see any way they get four guards. If they could somehow get three guards of that caliber would be surprising. I think realistically it is two guards and two forwards. Few top 100 players are willing to sit behind a same position player their year.

If they can get Mac, hopefully one more for 21, given typical attrition.

For 22 I don't see any way they get four guards. If they could somehow get three guards of that caliber would be surprising. I think realistically it is two guards and two forwards. Few top 100 players are willing to sit behind a same position player their year.
I think ultimately Westry will play the 3 here. He’s about 6-5 now, he still has a couple years do get to campus so could be 6’5”-6’7” by the time he gets here. Gayle is also already around 6’4”-6’5” so I think one or both could end up being versatile enough to be a 2/3.

Roddy plus these 4 would be a Cuse Fab 5 for the Classes of '21 & '22...
Screenshot_20200610-162823_Instagram.jpg

Added to an Orange core of JG3, Kadary, Woody, Frank, and JBA already in the fold. The options and potential are limitless!

Last edited:

PHR: Have any programs really been standing out to you or pushing hard in your recruitment?

Gayle: “Schools like Syracuse, Wake Forest, Marquette, Michigan, and Ohio State have been recruiting me the hardest.”

PHR: Syracuse and Wake Forest are two programs that you hold offers from. What are your thoughts on those two since they are recruiting you hard?

Gayle: “I took unofficial visits to both schools and from what I saw, I really like Wake Forest’s brand new facilities. Coach always keep in contact with my high school coach and is a great person and mentor. I also loved Syracuse because of the location… it’s only about two hours away and the atmosphere is crazy. The only two players from my city to play at a high-major D1 college like that were Johnny Flynn and Paul Harris and those were my idols growing up.”

PHR: Does being so close play into any big factor for you as far as your recruitment for Syracuse?

Gayle: “Yes, it definitely plays a factor because being close allows my family to come and watch home games.”
And Danny Manning was fired from Wake AFTER a this was published. So they might not be a factor anymore.

The more tape I watch on him the more I think I would take Roddy Gayle in a heartbeat, even at the cost of Westry and/or Cruz.

His highlight reels never get old. Just to add to his already lofty expectations, and lore. I think he looks like a more athletic Dion Waiters attacking the basket, but with the vision, and willingness of a Sherm to get others involved, all while possessing the length to be a menace defensively a la MCW.

His highlight reels never get old. Just to add to his already lofty expectations, and lore. I think he looks like a more athletic Dion Waiters attacking the basket, but with the vision, and willingness of a Sherm to get others involved, all while possessing the length to be a menace defensively a la MCW.
Sign hin up!!

So, just a guy. Good to know. :p

So quite possibly the greatest player we’ve ever had if he were to come? Got it!

Name reminds me of Rudy Gay; wouldn't mind a player with that kind of impact for us... Would take this kid's commitment in a heart beat...

Staff taking nothing for granted.

I think they realize just how important 22 is, and are putting themselves in the best position possible with all of these guys, and would much rather need to turn someone away because there simply isn't any room left, than end up missing out on targets 1A and 1B and then need to scramble.

I also think it's not outside the realm of possibility that if the staff continues to have the opportunity to add premiere talent, and someone on the current roster doesn't develop/underperforms, they would be forced out in order to try and bring in another guy in 2022.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom