Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Side note: Are the Illini just completely ignoring the "ck" in Kofi Cockburn's last name? Found that odd.

Last edited:
JG3
Buddy
Griffin
Marek
Quincy
Sidibe
Tape

All 7 of those guys could start and nobody would complain. We essentially have 7 starters (assuming Tape comes here). That’s a good problem to have and something we took for granted from 2008-2013(ish). Don’t think this is a top 5 squad which might be obvious but I certainly think of everyone makes some progress this off season with the additions this off season we are certainly top 15/20.
Eli is a better player than any of those guys. But I think we’ll see big improvements across the board from the returning guys. If Griffin can give us 30mpg, 40% from 3, 5rpg and about 13ppg that would be fantastic. Then hopefully Tape is something like 9/6 in 20mpg

JG3
Buddy
Griffin
Marek
Quincy
Sidibe
Tape

All 7 of those guys could start and nobody would complain. We essentially have 7 starters (assuming Tape comes here). That’s a good problem to have and something we took for granted from 2008-2013(ish). Don’t think this is a top 5 squad which might be obvious but I certainly think of everyone makes some progress this off season with the additions this off season we are certainly top 15/20.
My question is, if Girard’s not on the floor, is Griffin serviceable bringing the ball up vs pressure ala Hughes or does it force us to play Kadary? It’s hard to get a sense of Griffin’s handle from the highlights I’ve watched.

Yep, my hope is a configuration similar to 2010 where we had 7 “starters”. Not to mention a guy like Kadary who could be the wildcard 8th player.

We'll need everyone to "buy in" to doing whatever it takes to make this team great, which I think the players did in those days. Nothing to assume there in this day of "I'm not starting so I'm leaving". But maybe surviving the CoVid19 scare will make them appreciate the need to accomplish things when the opportunity presents itself.

Eli is a better player than any of those guys. But I think we’ll see big improvements across the board from the returning guys. If Griffin can give us 30mpg, 40% from 3, 5rpg and about 13ppg that would be fantastic. Then hopefully Tape is something like 9/6 in 20mpg
Who is the early IGGY favorite for points per game? Is it Griffin? Is it Buddy? JG3? Marek? Will be interesting.

My question is, if Girard’s not on the floor, is Griffin serviceable bringing the ball up vs pressure ala Hughes or does it force us to play Kadary? It’s hard to get a sense of Griffin’s handle from the highlights I’ve watched.
No I don’t think it’s in his game.

it’ll be Girard or Kadary

-has a knack for getting offensive rebounds like no one I’ve seen in an Illini uniform in 20 years of being a fan. We had so many scoring droughts end with Alan getting an offensive rebound...

-brings ENERGY
Really appreciate your evaluation, this part in particular. Can’t wait to see Griffin & Guerrier’s energy crashing the glass together. A front court of those 2 & Marek is small but likely our best offensive lineup.

Illinois guy here. You all are getting a very good player. We’re sad to see him go but he was looking for a bigger role and probably wasn’t going to start for us next year either with a borderline 5* coming in to replace Ayo if he ends up deciding to go pro. His parents are separated and his mom was openly critical of Brad Underwood for not playing him enough but Alan’s dad wanted him to stay at Illinois. His playing time was a major contention among our fans as well because the guy starting and playing in front of him was essentially a non scorer but was our best defensive player. Alan was our second guy off the bench most nights and was probably our most consistent shooter. He backed up the 2 and played some 3 for us. He’s aggressive and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Don’t let the Purdue incident shape your view of him. He’s not a bad guy. It can be quite the adventure with him sometimes on defense. He can lose his assignment or man sometimes but he did improve as the season went on. He’s gonna be one of your best players next year, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s your leading scorer. He can be streaky but he’s talented. Check out his Northwestern tape if you haven’t yet.
From a cuse fan to a illini fan, brandon paul was one of my favorite players to watch over the past ten years or so.

Illinois guy here. You all are getting a very good player. We’re sad to see him go but he was looking for a bigger role and probably wasn’t going to start for us next year either with a borderline 5* coming in to replace Ayo if he ends up deciding to go pro. His parents are separated and his mom was openly critical of Brad Underwood for not playing him enough but Alan’s dad wanted him to stay at Illinois. His playing time was a major contention among our fans as well because the guy starting and playing in front of him was essentially a non scorer but was our best defensive player. Alan was our second guy off the bench most nights and was probably our most consistent shooter. He backed up the 2 and played some 3 for us. He’s aggressive and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Don’t let the Purdue incident shape your view of him. He’s not a bad guy. It can be quite the adventure with him sometimes on defense. He can lose his assignment or man sometimes but he did improve as the season went on. He’s gonna be one of your best players next year, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s your leading scorer. He can be streaky but he’s talented. Check out his Northwestern tape if you haven’t yet.
Thanks for the scouting report. When you say ‘he was probably our most consistent shooter’, you are kind of understating things. His 3 point shooting percentage is over over 10% better than the rest of your team, which was 318th in the country in 3rd point FGs made per game last year.

I think Griffin will thrive in a more progressive offensive system that allow him more playing time and freedom to use his skills on offense. His defensive issues should be reduced playing in the 2-3 zone.

Good luck next season,

Think something that's going under the radar is how much this impacts Woody. This AG add makes Woody from possible 7th/8th man to now out of rotation and even possibly contemplating a redshirt, especially if Braswell stays. Woody really improved his shot senior yr. and his length and bounce woulda fit in nice in the bottom of the zone. I think him leaving program prematurely is something Cuse would regret. Dont get me wrong, love the AG addition, just think it could directly impact Woody.

Thanks for the scouting report. When you say ‘he was probably our most consistent shooter’, you are kind of understating things. His 3 point shooting percentage is over over 10% better than the rest of your team, which was 318th in the country in 3rd point FGs made per game last year.

I think Griffin will thrive in a more progressive offensive system that allow him more playing time and freedom to use his skills on offense. His defensive issues should be reduced playing in the 2-3 zone.

Good luck next season,
I think most Illini fans still considered Trent Frazier our best shooter. He had a down shooting year as he was forced to play the point and ended up forcing a lot of contested 3’s at the end of the clock. Alan should definitely thrive with more opportunities. Good luck!

He'll get a hardship waiver. We're the closest program to Toronto.
Well, there is Niagara University...but yeah, I get what you’re saying

If you want our 5 best on the floor you're likely going

Girard
Jackson
Griffin II
Guerrier
Marek

You could realistically play 4 out with Guerrier as your inside scorer/garbage man, 3 shooters, and Marek orchestrating the offense.

That could actually be a lot of fun.
There’s not an ACC team that would not like Buddy on their team. People here really underrate his value to a team. It’s not often that one player can score 18 straight points in a game. He will be one of the top scorers in the league Next year. People want to knock his defense, but have you ever watched film of Warwick. He made a HUGE block, but his lack of lateral movement or just plain laziness is clearly evident when watching videos of past games. Even his teammates last night on Facebook knocked his lack of willingness to play defense.

There’s not an ACC team that would not like Buddy on their team. People here really underrate his value to a team. It’s not often that one player can score 18 straight points in a game. He will be one of the top scorers in the league Next year. People want to knock his defense, but have you ever watched film of Warwick. He made a HUGE block, but his lack of lateral movement or just plain laziness is clearly evident when watching videos of past games. Even his teammates last night on Facebook knocked his lack of willingness to play defense.
Ok?

I'm not sure why that was your response to my post.

That’s rich, coming from the self proclaimed fan girl, #1 Goodine cheerleader. Stating opinions are facts, and calling people uneducated.
If someone is able to make an assessment on someone playing 1-3 mins a game, then yes, they are uneducated on player evaluation, because 1-3 mins is not how you assess overall player production. Also, what I stated is not my opinion, the facts prove that Buddy was the lowest rated defensive player on the team, in most of the acc and in the nation in some categories.

Last edited:
I’m not accustomed to being the negative one here. There is always a balancing when you put teams together and are not hand picking recruits, but anybody who thinks OUR zone hides defensive deficiencies has not been paying attention.

If someone is able to make an assessment on someone playing 1-3 mins again, then yes, they are uneducated, because 1-3 mins is not how you assess overall player production.
you are right. you also have to look at how they do at practice and whether they warrant more of a leash

Illini fan here obviously, just came here to say you guys are gonna love Alan. I was bummed when I heard he was leaving... was maybe my favorite player on the team last year (and he came off the bench, so that’s really saying something).

-Great (and clutch) 3 point shooter (wouldn’t have won at Wisconsin without him; he was HUGE in the last 5 minutes... and he regularly delivered points in key situations)

-he can also take it to the hole surprisingly well (I say surprising, cause he doesn’t do it often), and he even had a few monster alley oops this past season... he doesn’t really do much from midrange though

-has a knack for getting offensive rebounds like no one I’ve seen in an Illini uniform in 20 years of being a fan. We had so many scoring droughts end with Alan getting an offensive rebound...

-brings ENERGY (very passionate player... it’s the reason he got suspended this season when he kicked a purdue player in frustration. Not a bad kid, just lost his cool... but in general this passion is a strength)

-He also LOVES to get under other players’ skin, which is fun to watch (although it gets him in trouble sometimes, like at Purdue)

Basically, a great player who brings a lot to any team... you guys will love him. I was really looking forward to watching his final 2 years at Illinois, but it wasn’t meant to be. Good luck to Alan and cuse going forward!
Thanks man!great write up and comments and appreciate the civility!

I’m not accustomed to being the negative one here. There is always a balancing when you put teams together and are not hand picking recruits, but anybody who thinks OUR zone hides defensive deficiencies has not been paying attention.
Buddy and JG3 would get embarrassed if they had to play man defense.

Hughes was the only guy athletic enough to not get blown by.

Status
Not open for further replies.