Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eli is a better player than any of those guys. But I think we’ll see big improvements across the board from the returning guys. If Griffin can give us 30mpg, 40% from 3, 5rpg and about 13ppg that would be fantastic. Then hopefully Tape is something like 9/6 in 20mpg

Better scorer. But Hughes averaged 4.9 rebounds in 37.5 and Griff averaged 4.5 in 18.3 minutes. Pretty big jump there.

Neither were “handed anything”
They both were handed everything. Neither produced enough to be starters on Syracuse Basketball's team, and neither would start on most division 1 teams. If you think that, then you have some very pretty orange glasses.

If Tape also decides to come, it’ll be interesting to see how him and Griffin pick up the zone. Assuming we will have a season but there won’t be any summer activity, they’ll basically have a month or two to work with their new teammates. We know how tough it can be for first year players to pick up the nuances of the zone.

We’re already looking like another poor defensive team due to the guard play and mediocre interior play, so this obviously will not help.

I hope we can be better next year but nothing really points to that unless we get huge leaps from Girard and QG. Eli to AG is likely a downgrade, especially in terms of playmaking and size. MD/Sid won’t be any bigger so can they learn to play without fouling as seniors? The guards will still lack the necessary athleticism for a high end D. A lot of warts that are tough to overcome still.

The pieces are looking better than a week ago, there’s hope for individual improvement, but the weaknesses that killed us this past year are still looking to be there for next year, coupled with a likely better ACC. And I wish our guys could have the summer development period that many in the past have benefited from. QG working on his jumper/handle, the bigs their post moves and strength, playing with each other, new guys getting acclimated and so on.

It’s great we are adding a very talented and mostly proven player in AG - we needed that. But talk of top 15-25 I’m seeing seems quite crazy...what am I missing?
IMHO, if you take out November/December when SU was still trying to find itself, SU would have been close to being a ranked type team if they could have gotten a consistent 12 points 10 rebounds from the center position, along with some muscle for extra fouls. Everyone improves this year, especially Girard and QG. And Marek is solid when he isn’t giving up size and position at the 5. IF AG brings a little of what Hughes gave, and Sidibe and plays like he did at the end of the year, mix in Tape’ and they’re a different team than they were for much of last year when they routinely got out-muscled, and the inexperience showed.

There’s not an ACC team that would not like Buddy on their team. People here really underrate his value to a team. It’s not often that one player can score 18 straight points in a game. He will be one of the top scorers in the league Next year. People want to knock his defense, but have you ever watched film of Warwick. He made a HUGE block, but his lack of lateral movement or just plain laziness is clearly evident when watching videos of past games. Even his teammates last night on Facebook knocked his lack of willingness to play defense.
I don't think people dislike Buddy as a player, but he's a bench player who is starting and playing more minutes than most starters. Buddy would be excellent coming off the bench and knocking down 3's. He is maybe a 15-20-min a game type of player on most good div 1 teams, and he's playing 35-40 minutes night in and night out.

They both were handed everything. Neither produced enough to be starters on Syracuse Basketball's team, and neither would start on most division 1 teams. If you think that, then you have some very pretty orange glasses.
Jackson is literally one of the best pure shooters in the country and JG3 outplayed just about everyone’s expectations as a freshman, he was deservedly handed the keys. Get out of here

Not sure what you consider "handed?" Joe was the third option at PG and earned the role by significantly outperforming both Carey and Goodine. Buddy was simply one of the most productive 3 point shooters in the country. Granted both have holes in their game, but given the 2019-2020 roster, the only real debate is whether they should have played 32 mpg or 36 mpg.

Somebody had to start. Our two best guards started.

Running fast doesn’t mean you’re one of the best guards.

I don't have a dog in this fight (until this post), but seems like you are trying to be provoke people with all the BB and JG comments.

Most Division 1 teams? You know there are over 300 of them babe? Don't be ridiculous! Try to get attention with decent analysis rather than H0T Takes.

Somebody had to start. Our two best guards started.

Running fast doesn’t mean you’re one of the best guards.
Yes they did, but they were overplayed. Were they really the best 2 guards? Not sure one can say that given Goodine didn't play enough to fully evaluate. One could also argue that Hughes, who was the best player on the team, should have been moved to the guard position, and Goodine should have played more than 1-2 mins a game. No one can say without a doubt the 2 best guards started...I and many fans do not believe that is the case.

I don't think people dislike Buddy as a player, but he's a bench player who is starting and playing more minutes than most starters. Buddy would be excellent coming off the bench and knocking down 3's. He is maybe a 15-20-min a game type of player on most good div 1 teams, and he's playing 35-40 minutes night in and night out.

“most division one teams”...we weren’t great, but he was the second leading scorer on about the 40-50th team in the country out of 355...

There’s not an ACC team that would not like Buddy on their team. People here really underrate his value to a team. It’s not often that one player can score 18 straight points in a game. He will be one of the top scorers in the league Next year. People want to knock his defense, but have you ever watched film of Warwick. He made a HUGE block, but his lack of lateral movement or just plain laziness is clearly evident when watching videos of past games. Even his teammates last night on Facebook knocked his lack of willingness to play defense.
Thank you, Len Elmore.

Most Division 1 teams? You know there are over 300 of them babe? Don't be ridiculous! Try to get attention with decent analysis rather than H0T Takes.
Okay, Okay, most top tier division 1 teams. I misspoke, sorry. If we want to be top tier, we need better starters. Last year's results were indicative of that.

Yes they did, but they were overplayed. Were they really the best 2 guards? Not sure one can say that given Goodine didn't play enough to fully evaluate. One could also argue that Hughes, who was the best player on the team, should have been moved to the guard position, and Goodine should have played more than 1-2 mins a game. No one can say without a doubt the 2 best guards started...I and many fans do not believe that is the case.

LOL. Yeah, because the coaches have no other ways to “evaluate”who should be starting beyond what the fans see on TV. They don’t see these guys everyday in practice for 5 months or anything. That Europe trip and those exhibition games and early season games didn’t happen either.

Live game time is the only way to evaluate players. no need for practice or italy or anything

Makes sense if you don’t think about it

“most division one teams”...we weren’t great, but he was the second leading scorer on about the 40-50th team in the country out of 355...
His defense was also the worst on the team, in most of the ACC and in the country. He was 1 dimensional for a good portion of the season and did not start successfully driving to the basket with that little jumper until later in the season. Look, we were not good last year, and our backcourt defense and center position were the sole reason for that. Basketball is more than just making shots. I want someone with an all-around game, not just someone who can jack up 3's and then disappear.

Live game time is the only way to evaluate players. no need for practice or italy or anything
I am saying you cannot say a player sucked, as 1 person said about Goodine, based on what they saw in the 1-2 mins a game he averaged.

Aww, poor Goodine. He didn’t get more time handed to him to throw more 30% Thor hammers at the rim. FOH.

Griffin seems to give us a guy who can swing between the 2 and 3 spots. He seems to rebound well enough to play down low in the zone. I bet he starts at the 3, and slides to the 2 when Buddy comes out. Kadary will have to be backup PG.

QG backs up both forward spots.

His defense was also the worst on the team, in most of the ACC and in the country. He was 1 dimensional for a good portion of the season and did not start successfully driving to the basket with that little jumper until later in the season. Look, we were not good last year, and our backcourt defense and center position were the sole reason for that. Basketball is more than just making shots. I want someone with an all-around game, not just someone who can jack up 3's and then disappear.

Made one less two than Sidibe and more than Quincy overall and last I checked one of the primary skills 2g needs is to be able to shoot.

Should he play less? Sure, but you aren’t the coach.

ugh I said I wasn’t going to get dragged into anymore Buddy arguments...but you were successful...congrats

just be happy we got Griffin...

Jackson is literally one of the best pure shooters in the country and JG3 outplayed just about everyone’s expectations as a freshman, he was deservedly handed the keys. Get out of here

Buddy shot over 40% from the 3 against three decent teams this season, he's not an ACC starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.