Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 181 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

If I were him, I would try to go to Nova. They could turn him in to a player.

Gee, and I thought he was going to Duke for the education.

Yeah. But it's hard to fault the kid for falling for the allure of Duke, his "dream" school. The stockpile of talent at Duke is now at ridiculous levels, and it is continuing. I think Tucker will be the first of many transfers at Duke. Have to give him credit for realizing, and accepting this so quickly.

I will say this, I always thought Tucker was overrated to begin with - and that has nothing to do with him rejecting SU.

Kid could have got 8-10 shots a game here and around 30mpg. I think we still get Marek but don't get Geno.

Oh well, he made his bed.

It was interesting that Hop wanted no part of Tucker, but after he left SU started recruiting him again. I think we might have dodged a bullet with this kid. I see a little of Taurean Thompson in this kid.

Yeah. But it's hard to fault the kid for falling for the allure of Duke, his "dream" school. The stockpile of talent at Duke is now at ridiculous levels, and it is continuing. I think Tucker will be the first of many transfers at Duke. Have to give him credit for realizing, and accepting this so quickly.

I will say this, I always thought Tucker was overrated to begin with - and that has nothing to do with him rejecting SU.
Coach K is playing 8 guys including 2 guys who are ranked behind Tucker.

Tucker committed very late to Duke, their roster was all set except for him - somehow he looked at Bagley/Trent/Carter/Allen/Duval and thought he'd get more PT than he would have here. THen Reddish committed then Barrett committed.

I get Duke being a dream school, but kids have to be realistic as well.

It was interesting that Hop wanted no part of Tucker, but after he left SU started recruiting him again. I think we might have dodged a bullet with this kid. I see a little of Taurean Thompson in this kid.
Have to wonder if he gets no PT at Duke for just not "basketball reasons"

I don't fault him either. However, he should have stuck it out with Duke once he made the decision. He would be a starter in a year or two more. By no measure he should have been thinking he was a one and done type of player and if he thought so he was delusional. If he stuck it out he would have gotten all the opportunity and tv exposure he was after. Now he just set himself back another year. I wish him the best of luck.

I don't fault him either. However, he should have stuck it out with Duke once he made the decision. He would be a starter in a year or two more. By no measure he should have been thinking he was a one and done type of player and if he thought so he was delusional. If he stuck it out he would have gotten all the u and t'v exposure he was after. Now he just set himself back another year. I wish him the best of luck.
'
You couldn't be more wrong.

He would likely NEVER have gotten PT at Duke, they are constantly bringing in the top guys at his position year after year.
It was never getting better for him there.

Why delay his being able to play elsewhere one minute longer at this point?
Riding the pine for another year or 2 at Duke would just delay that further.

Last edited:
You cooldnt be more wrong.

He would likely NEVER have gotten PT at Duke, they are constantly bringing in the top guys at his position year after year.
It was never getting better for him there.

Why delay his being able to play elsewhere one minute longer at this point?
Riding the pine for another year or 2 at Duke would just delay that further.

I have to respectfully disagree. Yes they get top talent year after year, but the opportunity would still be there down the road. Also, there is a strong possibility that the one and done rule disappears and the top talent goes straight to the nba. Regardless, it would have been hard for a non Marvin Bagley(sp?) type freshman to unseat him as a starter by his junior year. Example: who was more talented Brandon Triche or Dion Waiters? Yet, Dion was not able to unseat Brandon.

Last edited:
I have to respectfully disagree. Yes they get top talent year after year, but the opportunity would still be there down the road. Also, there is a strong possibility that the one and done rule disappears and the top talent goes straight to the nba. Regardless, it would have been hard for a non Marvin Bagley(sp?) type freshman to unseat him as a starter by his junior year.

I will respectfully disagree with your disagreement.
You make a LOT of assumptions as the basis for why you think he should have stayed.

What we know as fact:

He was already beaten out for backup minutes by another “only 4*” program kid, so his odds of being “entrenched as a starter as a Junior” were nearly zero, since the OConnell kid is already ahead of him, and isn’t going anywhere.

No matter what rule changes may potentially occur in the future, Duke will ALWAYS GET many of the best recruits available - until K retires or dies.
He has already been recruited over both this year, AND next.

What we don’t know, but can assume:

Maybe he’s just not that good?
Mookie Jones was a highly rated recruit out of HS, and ended up not doing much of anything in college.
Maybe Tucker is similar.

You make a LOT of assumptions as the basis for why you think he should have stayed.

What we know as fact:

He was already beaten out for backup minutes by another “only 4*” program kid, so his odds of being “entrenched as a starter as a Junior” were nearly zero, since the OConnell kid is already ahead of him, and isn’t going anywhere.

No matter what rule changes may potentially occur in the future, Duke will ALWAYS GET many of the best recruits available - until K retires or dies.

Mookie Jones was a highly rated recruit out of HS, and ended up not doing much of anything in college.
Maybe Tucker is si

What we know as fact:

Maybe Tucker is similar.

Its ok that we disagree, thats just part of posting on this board. Its all hypothetical now, we will never know. May you have a very blessed new year.

I have to respectfully disagree. Yes they get top talent year after year, but the opportunity would still be there down the road. Also, there is a strong possibility that the one and done rule disappears and the top talent goes straight to the nba. Regardless, it would have been hard for a non Marvin Bagley(sp?) type freshman to unseat him as a starter by his junior year. Example: who was more talented Brandon Triche or Dion Waiters? Yet, Dion was not able to unseat Brandon.

What we know as fact:

Maybe Tucker is similar.
This is how to argue points when there is a disagreement. A wise woman once said, "We can disagree without being disagreeable."

Kudos, gentlemen.

What if he went to college B for a semester, then to SU?
upload_2018-1-1_17-15-2.png

K fed him a lie and let him waste a year of his career.

Again, will enjoy smacking Duke around in durham this year.

K fed him a lie and let him waste a year of his career.

Again, will enjoy smacking Duke around in durham this year.
You think we are going to beat Duke at Duke this year?

I think he is trying to accomplish the grand slam of ruined college basketball careers:

Spend a semester at Duke watching everyone play but you.
Transfer to Georgetown. Spend a year waiting to play, watching the team lose 20 games. Spend another year there, see the sights in downtown Omaha and contemplate solitude in an empty Verizon Center. Lose another 20 games.
Transfer to NC State. Lose 20 games there. Note that your college degree now will be worth less than your HS diploma.
Graduate from NC State with one year of eligibility left. Transfer to Rutgers. Lose 20 games there and get tea bagged by a 5'10 walk on from Northwestern in a meaningless blow out to end your college career in an empty but skanky Rec Center.

Good luck Jordan.