Shady is now a free agent... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shady is now a free agent...

Say what you will, he built up Rutgers from really bad to almost mediocre.

And all it took was SU to fire their HC so he could get his best player ever during his tenure. That's the one thing i find so funny. If P doesn't get destroyed by GT and Ray Rice honors his commitment to P, is Greg Schiano even coaching still? Going back even further, if Mike Vick honors his commitment to P, does P still get fired in '04? No way. In essence, Michael Vick is responsible for Shady's success. As Lemony Snickets might say...what a series of unfortunate events. Geez...

And all it took was SU to fire their HC so he could get his best player ever during his tenure. That's the one thing i find so funny. If P doesn't get destroyed by GT and Ray Rice honors his commitment to P, is Greg Schiano even coaching still? Going back even further, if Mike Vick honors his commitment to P, does P still get fired in '04? No way. In essence, Michael Vick is responsible for Shady's success. As Lemony Snickets might say...what a series of unfortunate events. Geez...
Dead on

Say what you will, he built up Rutgers from really bad to almost mediocre.

I give him a lot of credit for even having a strategy to build from an abomination to mediocre. He did enough to help Rutgers somehow get invited to the Big 10 and that's no small feat.

I give him a lot of credit for even having a strategy to build from an abomination to mediocre. He did enough to help Rutgers somehow get invited to the Big 10 and that's no small feat.
The B1G wanted market share in DC and NYC. That is the only reason Rut and Maryland were brought in. Monkey Face had nothing to do with it.

The B1G wanted market share in DC and NYC. That is the only reason Rut and Maryland were brought in. Monkey Face had nothing to do with it.

Nobody finds Shady more repulsive and overrated than I, but he absolutely had something to do with it. Rutgers circa 2001 doesn't sniff the B1G.

I doubt Rutgers gets invited if their football program had the profile it had in 2012 that it had in 2004. Rutgers literally had 0 market share back then. The improvement of their program actually developed a fanbase in NJ.

Shady@PedSt, how perfect lmao. He does realize they have to play real schedules in the B1G right?
Wasn't that what people were picking on Minny for...not playing a difficult schedule? He could certainly line up a bunch of directional schools and pull out some wins and finish around 8-4 every year like that.

Al Golden would be a better choice for PS than Shady and I do not seeing RU trying to get him back either.
Don't know any BCS teams that a HC returned to same school as HC when he left for another job.

John Robinson USC 1976-1982 left for LA Rams 1983 returned 1993.

Let's be honest, Schiano's recruiting plan is to see what kids other schools identify and then pursue those kids hard, telling kids every lie possible about other schools until the kids finally breaks. He does not evaluate, identify and coach up kids.

Let's be honest, Schiano's recruiting plan is to see what kids other schools identify and then pursue those kids hard, telling kids every lie possible about other schools until the kids finally breaks. He does not evaluate, identify and coach up kids.

Hey now, if Schiano never left, Savon Huggins would average at least 3 yards a carry.

Wrong. The B1G didn't take Temple or UConn, they took Rutgers. Rutgers has gone to several bowls in a row. If not for Schiano, consecutive bowl games are not likely and records over .500 (I agree its due to shafty non-conf. scheduling) are not likely. If not for those bowl games and above 500 records, there is no way the B1G could have taken them or would have had the votes to take them. I hate monkey face more than most, I've been blasted for posting about him here this year, but he is responsible for the B1G taking Rutgers.

I see Shady back to Rutgers. The program is in a shambles and only going to get worse as things stand right now. Penn State would be stupid to take him, as others here have said. Golden hasn't proven much at Miami and I don't see Penn State taking him, either.

As for other examples, one more tough year for WVU and Holgorsen is out and Rich Rodriguez will be back there. People here in WV are calling for it now and most are entirely willing to overlook their hatred for him after he left for Michigan. I have to remind most of them why they were so pissed off back then to begin with. Again, not leaving but refusing to pay his buyout, calling recruits on his WVU phone to join him at Michigan before telling his team, etc.

Didn't Rich Rod burn every bridge leaving Morgantown?

Wrong. The B1G didn't take Temple or UConn, they took Rutgers. Rutgers has gone to several bowls in a row. If not for Schiano, consecutive bowl games are not likely and records over .500 (I agree its due to shafty non-conf. scheduling) are not likely. If not for those bowl games and above 500 records, there is no way the B1G could have taken them or would have had the votes to take them. I hate monkey face more than most, I've been blasted for posting about him here this year, but he is responsible for the B1G taking Rutgers.
They didn't want Philly and Storrs tv markets, they wanted DC and NYC! Two bottom feeding programs. What does Rutgers bring as far as BBall to the B1G 10? What does Maryland bring as far as FBall? Zero. It's all about the Tv markets and expanding their brand. Guess what, B1G network coming to cable systems near you in DC and NYC, if it isn't there already

LeMoyneCuse said:
Mike Riley left Oregon State for the Chargers in 1998 and came back in 2003. Bill Walsh had two stints at Stanford in the 70s and the 90s. Those are the only examples I can find that fit your criteria.

Johnny Majors -- Pitt to Tennessee to Pitt. (The second time around without Tony Dorsett not so good.)

Bill Snyder -- KState to Retirement to KState. (Apparently not much else to do in the other Manhattan besides coach.)

That's all I got.

KaiserUEO said:
johnny majors at pitt is a pretty big one. National Champion, then off to tennessee, then back to pitt.

Whoops! Missed your post.

UConn should have waited another 2 weeks. Pretty sure Uncle Luke doesn't want Shady near the U.

They didn't want Philly and Storrs tv markets, they wanted DC and NYC! Two bottom feeding programs. What does Rutgers bring as far as BBall to the B1G 10? What does Maryland bring as far as FBall? Zero. It's all about the Tv markets and expanding their brand. Guess what, B1G network coming to cable systems near you in DC and NYC, if it isn't there already

UConn has as much claim to NYC market as Rutgers. Rutgers before Monkey Face was the equivalent of Temple or UConn or a small cut above Villanova upon graduation to the FBS level. Rutgers couldn't have been sold to the voting members of the B1G as a viable candidate to join if not for Schiano's efforts to build the program. I hate it, I hate him and I hate that school and I'm glad the B1G will be stuck with them and will absolutely continue to lose credibility because of their inclusion. But to say that Schiano isn't the reason Rutgers is in the B1G now is just not supportable.

Agreed. I think people discounting what Schiano accomplished at Rutgers are being foolish. I know he's a total d1ck, but he hurt SU at Rutgers and he'd be serious competition at penn state.

That being said... I'm not sure what he accomplished at RU would translate to PS.

dinosaurbbq said:
UConn has as much claim to NYC market as Rutgers. Rutgers before Monkey Face was the equivalent of Temple or UConn or a small cut above Villanova upon graduation to the FBS level. Rutgers couldn't have been sold to the voting members of the B1G as a viable candidate to join if not for Schiano's efforts to build the program. I hate it, I hate him and I hate that school and I'm glad the B1G will be stuck with them and will absolutely continue to lose credibility because of their inclusion. But to say that Schiano isn't the reason Rutgers is in the B1G now is just not supportable.

Agreed. I think people discounting what Schiano accomplished at Rutgers are being foolish. I know he's a total d1ck, but he hurt SU at Rutgers and he'd be serious competition at penn state.

That being said... I'm not sure what he accomplished at RU would translate to PS.

Agree, he took Rutgers from the absolute cellar (Shea's era at Rutgers made Robinson look like, oh I don't know, maybe Dan Henning?). But Rutgers was a basically winless program at the bottom of all 1A rankings, and a very long history of zero accomplishments. What was it, one bowl game in all those years, and it was a bowl in their state that lasted a year or so?

Most of it happened at our expense, as they invested money (they didn't have), and our administration was asleep at the wheel, never imagining what could happen would actually happen.

Having said that, your last comment is the one that is why I think Penn State stays away. This is a completely different situation than what he did at Rutgers. At Penn State, all of his weaknesses as a head coach would be completely exposed. I doubt he would last the full 5 years there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom