Shafer: I'm talking to people folks are going to know | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer: I'm talking to people folks are going to know

Used "hard-nose(d)" at least three times. Nothing terribly newsy -- best part was saying how he grew up outside Cleveland, in a place a lot like Syracuse, and that he loved the area and wanted to take the Syracuse show on the road to show people how -- wait for it -- "hard-nosed" we are. His kids Elsa (ninth grade) and Wolfgang are fired up. He'll be on the road Monday to sure-up recruiting.

Wolfgang? I would have expected his kid to be named like "Lou" or "Nails" or something.

Wolfgang? I would have expected his kid to be named like "Lou" or "Nails" or something.

Because Wolfgang is not hard-nosed enough already?

Because Wolfgang is not hard-nosed enough already?

I guess. It seems more like German royalty than cleveland factory worker. I mean, there's not a lot of lunch pails with "Wolfgang" scribbled on them in sharpie.

and be excited about. Since we are in talks right now I'm not able to say who those candidates are. (coaches)

In regard to losing a recruit or two, he said, if that happens then we don't want the kid anyway. We just want kids who want to be here.

Syracuse is a hard nosed city and that's the kind of team I want to put on the field for the fans.

This is the part of the process where coaches say things and we get excited. Gump, Doug, it always happens. As usual, I will await October's analysis, with high expectations.

I guess. It seems more like German royalty than cleveland factory worker. I mean, there's not a lot of lunch pails with "Wolfgang" scribbled on them in sharpie.

Probably not. But if he did have a lunch pail, it has "Wolf" scribbled on it.

This is the part of the process where coaches say things and we get excited. Gump, Doug, it always happens. As usual, I will await October's analysis, with high expectations.

This is also why, when a guy leaves for a better job, this board turns into everyone's Burn Book and everyone acts like scorned 13-year-old girls. Rite of passage I guess.

It is Shafer's job to get people pumped up. He already has the players pumped up. He is like a big 'ol hard-nosed walking pep rally of a man. Excited to see his product.

fixed

I think Doug already put a pretty hard nosed football team out there with shafer's help for sure, so I have no issue with this because I have already seen the product.

If Shafer can continue to put on the field what Marrone did for the most part and take a few more risks at times, which I believe he will, as Millhouse said it's not a risk if you know the probability, it's probably the right call.

and be excited about. Since we are in talks right now I'm not able to say who those candidates are. (coaches)

In regard to losing a recruit or two, he said, if that happens then we don't want the kid anyway. We just want kids who want to be here.

Syracuse is a hard nosed city and that's the kind of team I want to put on the field for the fans.
So the new OC is either going to be a famous coach from outside or someone with a Syracuse connection. I will discount the possibility of SU hiring a 'big name' OC from the outside because I just don't believe that is going to happen.

I would think these comments might be pointing at people like John Reagan, Kevin Rogers, maybe David Walker.

Reagan appears to have been focusing his recruiting for Rice in Texas. Austin area especially. ZA might like having a coach who has coaching in Texas coaching him. Might like having a long time NFL QB coach tutor him. Enter stage left Kevin Rogers...

Rogers was the OC at BC in 2011, got sick in training camp, had a falling out with Spaz and from all accounts, it was a disasterous experience for all parties involved. Not sure what happened but it wasn't good and rightly or wrongly, it has hurt his reputation. Addazio did not bring him along on the trip up I95 to Boston and he is, as far as I can tell, unemployed right now.

Kevin was the Owl's QB coach...was not their OC last season. Ryan Day served as the Temple OC in 2012 and he is doing the same for BC, though he is also serving as their QB coach, which tells me Rogers is definitely not BC bound.

He's bringing back Deleone. Short-side option, hard-nosed style, baby!

He's bringing back Deleone. Short-side option, hard-nosed style, baby!
Warning, only open the post above with the approval of your doctor. I just revived after a 15 minute fainting spell.

A media guy in Waco says Hackett told Allen that the new OC worked with Hackett before. I wonder if that is true and that the OC has already been hired?

Lee Small@leesmall1
Coach Hackett also told Allen that the new OC was someone outside of the staff but someone who Hackett has coached with before

Expand Collapse

Warning, only open the post above with the approval of your doctor. I just revived after a 15 minute fainting spell.

A media guy in Waco says Hackett told Allen that the new OC worked with Hackett before. I wonder if that is true and that the OC has already been hired?

Lee Small@leesmall1
Coach Hackett also told Allen that the new OC was someone outside of the staff but someone who Hackett has coached with before

Expand Collapse

van_pelt_a_coachcard.jpg
This guy, maybe?

van_pelt_a_coachcard.jpg
This guy, maybe?

i don't know what he's been up to but I assume that Van Pelt is a genius for ever having the slightest bit of sporadic success at all at QB considering he has the worst arm I've ever seen (womens building intramurals included)

i don't know what he's been up to but I assume that Van Pelt is a genius for ever having the slightest bit of sporadic success at all at QB considering he has the worst arm I've ever seen (womens building intramurals included)

He's the Packers RB coach now. Was the Tampa Bay Bucs QB coach for a few years and was with the Bills before that as an Offensive Quality Control Coach, QB coach and Offensive Coordinator for his final year there.

Only has one year of college experience though - at UB in 2005 as QB coach.

So the new OC is either going to be a famous coach from outside or someone with a Syracuse connection. I will discount the possibility of SU hiring a 'big name' OC from the outside because I just don't believe that is going to happen.

I would think these comments might be pointing at people like John Reagan, Kevin Rogers, maybe David Walker.

Reagan appears to have been focusing his recruiting for Rice in Texas. Austin area especially. ZA might like having a coach who has coaching in Texas coaching him. Might like having a long time NFL QB coach tutor him. Enter stage left Kevin Rogers...

Rogers was the OC at BC in 2011, got sick in training camp, had a falling out with Spaz and from all accounts, it was a disasterous experience for all parties involved. Not sure what happened but it wasn't good and rightly or wrongly, it has hurt his reputation. Addazio did not bring him along on the trip up I95 to Boston and he is, as far as I can tell, unemployed right now.

Kevin was the Owl's QB coach...was not their OC last season. Ryan Day served as the Temple OC in 2012 and he is doing the same for BC, though he is also serving as their QB coach, which tells me Rogers is definitely not BC bound.
those names are ok, not walker though.

if its major applewhite im gonna go apeshit.

Oh Lord

He's the Packers RB coach now. Was the Tampa Bay Bucs QB coach for a few years and was with the Bills before that as an Offensive Quality Control Coach, QB coach and Offensive Coordinator for his final year there.

Only has one year of college experience though - at UB in 2005 as QB coach.
All in

Lots of K Gun chatter from Hackett, his agent, whatever. Same terminology, smooth transition. I remember everyone saying how smart he was as the Bills coach. Seemed pretty sharp in the booth too (i think he was a color commentator for a while but i could be wrong)

those names are ok, not walker though.

if its major applewhite im gonna go apeshit.

Oh Lord

He's the Texas OC, I doubt being a Texas alum he'd leave his own school for SU.

All in

Lots of K Gun chatter from Hackett, his agent, whatever. Same terminology, smooth transition. I remember everyone saying how smart he was as the Bills coach. Seemed pretty sharp in the booth too (i think he was a color commentator for a while but i could be wrong)

Yep, he did color commentary on the Bills radio network after he retired. My only reservation would be his ability to adapt to the college game. Also, how much recruiting do the coordinators do? He clearly has very little experience with this.

He did however have one of the best play action fakes ever in CFB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom