Shafer is coming back | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer is coming back

You disagree?

Shocking.

When I agree with you, you get a "like" or a response. I'm pretty sure I have done just that multiple times.

But yeah, on this point - I disagree.

(Sorry. Not sorry)

You guys thinking Shafer will instantly fix MTSU's defense are mistaken. Here's the simple reason(s):

Chandler Jones
Doug Houge
Derrell Smith
Shamarko Thomas

Do I need to keep going? Where is MTSU's NFL talent on defense? Because Shafer pretty much had a stud or two every year he was coordinator here.

Unfair, shafer molded those guys into great players. Turned good prospects into pros. Converted hogue from a rb to a pro lb, wasnt chandler a 2*? , Smith grew as a lb each year and while shamarko was a physical workout nut, needed coaching to put his talents into position to make plays.

You guys thinking Shafer will instantly fix MTSU's defense are mistaken. Here's the simple reason(s):

Chandler Jones
Doug Houge
Derrell Smith
Shamarko Thomas

Do I need to keep going? Where is MTSU's NFL talent on defense? Because Shafer pretty much had a stud or two every year he was coordinator here.

A stud or two doesn't make a defense. He knew how to scheme and attack with the talent he had.

I think this game will represent one of the most entertaining on the schedule.

I also believe that SS should receive a warm ovation. Regardless of personal feelings about him and his results, he truly had Orange blood flowing through his veins and gave this community everything he had for 7 years.
We'll see how sutomcat treats him in the visiting coaches box. ;)

don't agree. i think their offense will give us problems. not their defense. the O/U could be 100.

So true. Shaf will make their D more competitive but they may still lack the talent to stop us. Their O will be on fire and he better make the secondary moves we all anticipate after the recent signings. Gonna be a fun game and actually should get national coverage when you look at the story lines, offenses. This will be a good win if we can pull it off.

Unfair, shafer molded those guys into great players. Turned good prospects into pros. Converted hogue from a rb to a pro lb, wasnt chandler a 2*? , Smith grew as a lb each year and while shamarko was a physical workout nut, needed coaching to put his talents into position to make plays.
Just to be clear, Hogue was being recruited as a LB out of HS, was a 4 star recruit at that position, and had an offer from PSU to be a LB. He chose SU because Gerg told him he could play RB, once Marrone got here he said uh no, you're going to be a LB and he was a damned good one.

Just to be clear, Hogue was being recruited as a LB out of HS, was a 4 star recruit at that position, and had an offer from PSU to be a LB. He chose SU because Gerg told him he could play RB, once Marrone got here he said uh no, you're going to be a LB and he was a damned good one.
Hogue also had a habit of putting the ball on the ground (similar to Tebucky Jones) which expedited his position change. Worked out well for both players.

I don't care if Matt Patricia is their DC - if Dino is taking us where we think he is taking us, we better win this game, and not have to sweat it out. Year 2 of a rebuild or not.

Best LB duo's of the modern Syracuse ERA Hogue, Smith, Spruill.

Keith Bulluck, Morlon Greenwood, and Vernon Banks might say otherwise.

They also had a true freshman named Clifton Smith play MLB when needed.

(I consider myself too young not to include the late 90s as the "modern era")

Keith Bulluck, Morlon Greenwood, and Vernon Banks might say otherwise.

They also had a true freshman named Clifton Smith play MLB when needed.

(I consider myself too young not to include the late 90s as the "modern era")
That's fine as long as you consider Bill Clinton, N'Sync, Spice Girls, Titantic, and Hi-C Ecto cooler as modern things too. (Hint: We got old dude)

That's fine as long as you consider Bill Clinton, N'Sync, Spice Girls, Titantic, and Hi-C Ecto cooler as modern things too. (Hint: We got old dude)

Hold up - Ecto Cooler was from '89. ;)

Hogue, Smith, spruill are a best trio ever. Hands down. All 3 had a cup of coffee in the NFL and complimented each very well when on the field. Shaf cultivated these guys, and as upperclassmen, they smothered some national, ranked offenses.