Shafer is coming back | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer is coming back

Hogue, Smith, spruill are a best trio ever. Hands down. All 3 had a cup of coffee in the NFL and complimented each very well when on the field. Shaf cultivated these guys, and as upperclassmen, they smothered some national, ranked offenses.
They were good, but this is crazy talk. Conley, Young, Hawkins and in some sets Mitchell were better. Just watch '92 Miami if you need to see how good Conley was.

Keith Bulluck, Morlon Greenwood, and Vernon Banks might say otherwise.

They also had a true freshman named Clifton Smith play MLB when needed.

(I consider myself too young not to include the late 90s as the "modern era")

At one time i think they had Dumas, Clifton Smith, and maybe Rich Scanlon? That was a nice group.

With Arnold, Jesse, Richard Dawson, and Jim Brown! How can you not?

giphy.gif

Time to put up our first 100-spot on a team. Expletive- MTSU.

http://deadspin.com/mtsu-football-players-suspended-after-video-of-puppy-ab-1794272956

The response from the coach is both weird and a sign of an older generation. I used to spank my dogs or put their nose close to their "accidents" and scold them. Found that going outside with them and praising them for going the bathroom in the yard was a much better motivator. Additionally, one of the best training methods is to cage your dog when you're not home or even at night. Yes, we still have an occasional "accident" (I have 7 dogs), but it's rare and usually chalked up from one of them being sick or just been too long since they were out last. I quit spanking them a long time ago, and we are all happier about it.

I guaran-damn-tee that FHCSS is going to spend all spring and summer game planning for us. This game screams 38-35 type of nail biter

I guaran-damn-tee that FHCSS is going to spend all spring and summer game planning for us. This game screams 38-35 type of nail biter
Remember all of the big plays our defense gave up in 2011? MTSU's defense has way less talent than that group.

Put up 80 on them, do not take our cleats off their throats.

Nah, he's going to hire an outside group to recommend a defensive scheme. After all, I t worked so well against GA Tech. ;)
I'm still pissed about that game - just remember sitting in that stadium in crappy weather being miserable watching the ineptitude. When he called for a punt on the Tech side of midfield while down > 30 pts in the second half I lost it - stormed out of the stadium, threw my program away and headed for the car. Then got to hear that damn train whistle, or whatever the noise it is they play after a touchdown, again on my way to the car. Good thing you punted from midfield to delay that touchdown by an extra play or two! Yep - still pissed....

Remember all of the big plays our defense gave up in 2011? MTSU's defense has way less talent than that group.
Remember when FHCSS proclaimed he didn't care what offensive scheme Mc*uckit ran as long as it was up tempo because it was the most difficult to defend? No way MTSU keeps us under 40-plus points.

Raiders get three national broadcasts in first wave

MURFREESBORO
- Conference USA has announced its ESPN and CBS Sports Network television schedule for the 2017 football season and Middle Tennessee will be featured in three nationally televised games.

The Blue Raiders will appear on CBS Sports Network in the season opener against Vanderbilt and later in the year on the road versus rival WKU. The Sept. 2 contest at Floyd Stadium against the Commodores will kick-off at 7 PM CT and the WKU contest will be on Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 PM.

Hogue, Smith, spruill are a best trio ever. Hands down. All 3 had a cup of coffee in the NFL and complimented each very well when on the field. Shaf cultivated these guys, and as upperclassmen, they smothered some national, ranked offenses.
I don't know. I think I lean toward a trio with Bulluck in it. How many other LB's from SU have been 1st team NFL all pro?

The response from the coach is both weird and a sign of an older generation. I used to spank my dogs or put their nose close to their "accidents" and scold them. Found that going outside with them and praising them for going the bathroom in the yard was a much better motivator. Additionally, one of the best training methods is to cage your dog when you're not home or even at night. Yes, we still have an occasional "accident" (I have 7 dogs), but it's rare and usually chalked up from one of them being sick or just been too long since they were out last. I quit spanking them a long time ago, and we are all happier about it.
Agreed. Praising my dog has always gotten better results than punishment, by far.

I don't know. I think I lean toward a trio with Bulluck in it. How many other LB's from SU have been 1st team NFL all pro?

Bullock was one lb. As a trio, its hard to top the talent and plays made by Hogue et al.

Bullock was one lb. As a trio, its hard to top the talent and plays made by Hogue et al.
Bullock had other good LB's playing with him. Morlon Greenwood was a 3rd round pick and Antwuane Ponds was a 7th rounder.

Hogue was the only LB from that trio to have an NFL career and it lasted two years. Greenwood played for 8 years and started at least 10 games per year finishing his career with 682 tackles. Hogue had 12.

Don't confuse production with talent. Hogue and Smith played in an attacking LB centered defense. The defense in the Bullock era called for the LBs to read and react more with the onus on the DEs to get pressure on the QB.

Shafer is the succession plan for MTSU. The current coach will retire in the next year or 2 and Scott will assume the head coach title.

Shafer is the succession plan for MTSU. The current coach will retire in the next year or 2 and Scott will assume the head coach title.
Except that half the band is at WMU. Any success and they won't be wooed to MTSU. Truth be told, I think Lester is a good coach who will have some success at WMU. Maybe not PJ Fleck, but I don't think he'll crash and burn.

Except that half the band is at WMU. Any success and they won't be wooed to MTSU. Truth be told, I think Lester is a good coach who will have some success at WMU. Maybe not PJ Fleck, but I don't think he'll crash and burn.
MTSU has an established winning organization with a well traveled OC. I don't think they want to rear it down and build a new one, just bring in a new coach who could get it to a higher level. Lester got a team on a roll and I think he will keep it rollin'.