Shaugnessy not liking BC playing football in the fall | Syracusefan.com

Shaugnessy not liking BC playing football in the fall

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
i expect more concerned Bostonians to voice their displeasure with BC playing while every other football team in the Commonwealth is shut down. To echo many people's opinion of Boston and college football, no one cares. Not even worth the risk of trying to do this if the interest level is minus 10.

i expect more concerned Bostonians to voice their displeasure with BC playing while every other football team in the Commonwealth is shut down. To echo many people's opinion of Boston and college football, no one cares. Not even worth the risk of trying to do this if the interest level is minus 10.

Is he against the Pats playing as well? Or the Sox? Or the Bruins? or anyone else that is playing or is it just B.C.?

It's obvious the Sox don't even want to be playing this year
The ownership mailed this season in far ahead of the players. One goal..get under the luxury tax high. In all fairness, the penalties are rough if you go over three years in a row. They will spend like drunk sailors this off season.

I think it's easy for some to say "forgo the millions" when it's not their job to manage a budget and conference relationships.

I started out thinking it would be dumb to play - but I'm beginning to be convinced that it will be largely ok. If the ACC is testing 3x a week and we opt out of playing vs Liberty if they are being dumb - and - we know this year is kind of a freebie in terms of stakes now that players can play next season eligibility wise.

Is he against the Pats playing as well? Or the Sox? Or the Bruins? or anyone else that is playing or is it just B.C.?

I know its not a popular opinion around these parts but there is a fundamental difference in the mind of many between the risks and rewards of multi millionaires vs that of students.

interesting ---looking at the the last 5 yrs their attendance pretty much mirrors ours per cfn 5yr analysis, they also were bowl games 4 of the last 5 yrs. --still you are correct--not a big deal.

I know its not a popular opinion around these parts but there is a fundamental difference in the mind of many between the risks and rewards of multi millionaires vs that of students.
And I agree with that. It's just that dan is such a a-hole about almost everything. He is a Holy Cross guy that wrote a column about us called the carried away dome a few years back. He didn't like that we loved our team.

And I agree with that. It's just that dan is such a a-hole about almost everything. He is a Holy Cross guy that wrote a column about us called the carried away dome a few years back. He didn't like that we loved our team.
I got ya.

Boston native not a big CHB fan myself

One goal..get under the luxury tax high. In all fairness, the penalties are rough if you go over three years in a row.
I might buy that if the organization wasn’t worth billions of dollars and if it didn’t own the regional sports network that carries the games.

I might buy that if the organization wasn’t worth billions of dollars and if it didn’t own the regional sports network that carries the games.
has nothing to do with it. The Yankees will face the same thing in a couple of years. Henry is listed as the second richest owner in baseball. But the penalties at this stage were ridiculous for the Red Sox. if they signed a free agent for 10 million, it would cost them 20 million. That isn't sustainable for any organization.

has nothing to do with it. The Yankees will face the same thing in a couple of years. Henry is listed as the second richest owner in baseball. But the penalties at this stage were ridiculous for the Red Sox. if they signed a free agent for 10 million, it would cost them 20 million. That isn't sustainable for any organization.
They would be fine and so would the Yankees.

They would be fine and so would the Yankees.
Thew old yanks yes. The new yanks, we shall see. John Henry doesn't mind spending. They have been at the top of the payroll for a number of years. The Dodgers will face it too. Go over it once, 20% penalty. the second year, 30% and after year 3, 50%.

Thew old yanks yes. The new yanks, we shall see. John Henry doesn't mind spending. They have been at the top of the payroll for a number of years. The Dodgers will face it too. Go over it once, 20% penalty. the second year, 30% and after year 3, 50%.
The Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers print money. Until they begin reporting all of their revenues (e.g., owning regional sports networks, parking lots), I’m not going to respect frugality. Of course they are free to operate their businesses at whatever profit margins they like, but I’ll continue to roll my eyes.

The Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers print money. Until they begin reporting all of their revenues (e.g., owning regional sports networks, parking lots), I’m not going to respect frugality. Of course they are free to operate their businesses at whatever profit margins they like, but I’ll continue to roll my eyes.
Don't forget ticket handling charges which they don't have to share. I'm sure they make a lot of dough. But I believe the luxury tax is something that repels them.

But I believe the luxury tax is something that repels them.
It is insulting that teams act like it’s a hard salary cap. I wish fans and media wouldn’t be so accepting of that narrative.

I despise Shank with the passion of 1000 White hot suns.
His opinion matters less than toilet paper.
He is a miserable man who is paid to cover sports.
His troll act is old. Just because Bob Kraft didn’t invite him to a media breakfast.

Seriously only John Tomase is worse than Shank Shaughnessy in the Boston sports media.

His kids are really nice people I grew up with them.

Extremely nice family.

He is a disgrace to sports journalism.

It is what it is.

His kids are really nice people I grew up with them.

Extremely nice family.

He is a disgrace to sports journalism.

It is what it is.
Oh so you are good with Sam assaulting cops and then his dad uses his contacts to keep it out of the newspaper and news.

Dan Shaughnessy is everything that is wrong with the sports media.

If all 4 Bostonians who cared about BC football were outraged enough.

It is insulting that teams act like it’s a hard salary cap. I wish fans and media wouldn’t be so accepting of that narrative.
No one is calling it a salary cap. It isn't. You can go over all you want. But
you are going to pay a lot for doing it. You are also now going to lose spots in the draft order because of going over. You are free to make light of it all you want. You aren't the one paying other owners for the right to pay your team what you want to pay them.

No one is calling it a salary cap.
I am saying that teams treat it like it is a hard salary cap. What, were there three teams that went over last year?

I don’t need you to explain the system to me. I will continue to make light of billionaires’ hardships.

Last edited: