Shooting guard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shooting guard

I think people need to come to grips that this will probably be a tough year

C: Sidibie, (if healthy), backed by Edwards and Bol Ajak, although Dolezaj will play some here, if only to get him on the court.

PF: Dolezaj and Guerrier

SF: Hughes and Braswell

SG: Boeheim and Girard

PG: Carey and Goodine

break glass in case of emergency: Washington.

Probably

but Jim did say during the recent broadcast 2 small forwards hurt our zone especially on boards

Rebounding is 99.9% desire and grit. Ky Bowman, all 6'1" of him averaged nearly 8 boards per game last season for BC.

Let me start this topic by saying I believe one of the lineups I’d like to see is Hughes at the 2, won’t happen now with Oshae gone and because Buddy can’t play the one or three.

Though the lineup that would be potentially our best for defense and our rebounding would probably put Hughes at the two with ...

First pick yourPG.
probably Jalen or Howard. So with the best candidate for a point guard in that spot it is set up for our best lineup for everything but shooting. This also means if Joe were the one and Buddy the two, that would be a better shooting option than any other possibility.

Sg-Hughes,
Sf-Quincy,
Pf-Marek at his best position
Center-either Sidbe, JBA, or Edwards as the true center at the center.

Reasons Hughes won’t be at the two.

The three main reasons for Hughes to see limited to no time at the shooting guard

1)now we have one less forward
2)Buddy Boeheim - What is one of the few returning part time starters and has the most experience at this position and does not have the ability to slide over to the point guard or small forward what is one of the few returning part time starters and has the most experience at this position and does not have the ability to slide over to the point guard or small forward!

3) All the other guards we are going to be discussing in this thread.

Shooting guards..

Buddy Boeheim-

Showed a consistent shooting stroke decent passing and pull up shots. Needs to work on becoming a better play maker and put speed balls on offense and defense but his basketball IQ makes up for it in many instances.

Brycen Goodine-

probably our most athletic two quick, long, can jump out of the gym, decent shooting stroke! However he lacks experience, strength, and bulk to get too many minutes instead of the other options.

Joe Girad.

Him playing the two would definitely be our smallest zone but probably just as good or better of a shooting lineup as with Buddy. Joe and Buddy if they are ever destined to play together it would be Joe at that one.

Jalen Carey -

shows great athleticism and decent size to play off the ball but that would force probably Howard Washington or Joe Girad at the point guard.

i only want a true center playing if they are capable of scoring 10 on any given night. If that isnt even a threat, it has to be marek at C. the 4 on 5 experiment has gone on too long.

i only want a true center playing if they are capable of scoring 10 on any given night. If that isnt even a threat, it has to be marek at C. the 4 on 5 experiment has gone on too long.

What if the true centers get 10 points between them?

C: Sidibie, (if healthy), backed by Edwards and Bol Ajak, although Dolezaj will play some here, if only to get him on the court.

Lots of interchangeable parts there. I can imagine a scenario where buddy plays the three when we need some shooters on the court and we could go small with Carey/Girard/Buddy/Hughes/Doley.

Probably

but Jim did say during the recent broadcast 2 small forwards hurt our zone especially on boards

yeah, but he still played andy rautins and paul harris on the back line for most of 2009.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard really good things about how strong of a handle Girard has shown. Maybe he projects more at PG than what many of us believe[d].

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard really good things about how strong of a handle Girard has shown. Maybe he projects more at PG than what many of us believe[d].

Once the ball is brought up, both guards will handle it.

yeah, but he still played andy rautins and paul harris on the back line for most of 2009.
Not together at any time
First had Andy in back then switch to more up front
Had Paul up front and back

and then put Paul more in back

Not together at any time
First had Andy in back then switch to more up front
Had Paul up front and back

and then put Paul more in back

Go watch the 6OT game. They were 3rd and 4th in minutes played at around 30 on that team after Flynn/Devo. They definitely played a lot together.

Go watch the 6OT game. They were 3rd and 4th in minutes played at around 30 on that team after Flynn/Devo. They definitely played a lot together.
Yes with Andy at the 2
Paul at the 3
Not much at all with both in the back of zone together at the same time.

And we were the 3rd best rebounding team in nation with AO RICK AND Kris O

And we were the 3rd best rebounding team in nation with AO RICK AND Kris O

I'm going strictly by KenPom. We were 278th in defensive rebounding percentage which is terrible. Our counting stats look good because we played really fast that season.. This was Kris Joseph 's freshman year where played just 34 games at 13 minutes a game. If you even add his minutes to AO/Rick and Kristof you still only get 75 minutes a game for the 4/5. This means for 5 minutes at least they were on the floor together. Rick/AO, and Kristof equal 63 minutes of game time so at most they were on the floor about 17 minutes together.

For example against ASU in the tournament the 3 of them combined for 58 minutes for 2 positions. Flynn and Devendorf both played 40, Rautins 34 and Harris 28.There were huge portions of that season Rautins was on the back line that season with Harris. I'm not sure why you're arguing this.

On any other team Hughes plays the 2.
Not necessarily. I don't mean this as the jab it may appear but Hughes plays like the smallest 6'6" player I can remember in Orange. Still, at 6'6" he would play SF on a lot of teams. I look for Hughes to show a little more penetration this year now that he doesn't have to defer to others.

Not necessarily. I don't mean this as the jab it may appear but Hughes plays like the smallest 6'6" player I can remember in Orange. Still, at 6'6" he would play SF on a lot of teams. I look for Hughes to show a little more penetration this year now that he doesn't have to defer to others.

I think the key word here is Appears. His overall rebounding numbers and stats on defense are no different than Kris Joseph, Demetris Nichols, Andrew White, or Mali. His overall numbers are pretty much identical to Mali's year here and Nichols JR year.

Start of the season:

1 carey/washington/goodine/Girard
2 hughes/goodine/Carey
3 guerrier/braswell/hughes
4 Marek/Guerrier/Braswell
5 Sidibe/Marek/Edwards/JBA

End of season

1 carey/goodine/girard/hw
2 hughes/girard/carey/goodine
3 guerrier/braswell/hughes
4 marek/braswell
5 sidibe/edward/jba

Braswell and Marek split the 4 50/50

Did Buddy transfer?

If we get anything at all out of Washington it'd be a miracle. Coming back from an ACL is hard enough, but you add the stroke in there... He didn't get hardly any minutes when healthy so only people involved with the team know if he's any good or not, or really anything about his game. I'd love to see him be the starting PG, but at the same time I'd be surprised if he makes the rotation even with this thin roster. Buddy starting at SG is probably a lock. Even if Goodine or Girard ends up being a better player, Boeheim (Jim) has shown that he doesn't mind bringing the more talented player off the bench sometimes. (starting Triche over Waiters, Southerland over Grant, Scoop over MCW) Especially when starting them would come at the expense of his son.
On the other hand, who do they start at PG? Can JG3 or Goodine be a point guard at all? We know Carey had turnover problems when they tried him there last year. And again idk how viable Washington is at this point. We'll see next week with the Italy games what they do.

HIs leaping ,rebounding, and shot blocking at least has him almost average for his size

trevor cooney was initially signed to be a lights out shooter and he shot less than 30% deep. (and not for lack of minutes)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom