Shooting guard | Syracusefan.com

Shooting guard

20Plus

Let me start this topic by saying I believe one of the lineups I’d like to see is Hughes at the 2, won’t happen now with Oshae gone and because Buddy can’t play the one or three.

Though the lineup that would be potentially our best for defense and our rebounding would probably put Hughes at the two with ...

First pick yourPG.
probably Jalen or Howard. So with the best candidate for a point guard in that spot it is set up for our best lineup for everything but shooting. This also means if Joe were the one and Buddy the two, that would be a better shooting option than any other possibility.

Sg-Hughes,
Sf-Quincy,
Pf-Marek at his best position
Center-either Sidbe, JBA, or Edwards as the true center at the center.

Reasons Hughes won’t be at the two.

The three main reasons for Hughes to see limited to no time at the shooting guard

1)now we have one less forward
2)Buddy Boeheim - What is one of the few returning part time starters and has the most experience at this position and does not have the ability to slide over to the point guard or small forward what is one of the few returning part time starters and has the most experience at this position and does not have the ability to slide over to the point guard or small forward!

3) All the other guards we are going to be discussing in this thread.

Shooting guards..

Buddy Boeheim-

Showed a consistent shooting stroke decent passing and pull up shots. Needs to work on becoming a better play maker and put speed balls on offense and defense but his basketball IQ makes up for it in many instances.

Brycen Goodine-

probably our most athletic two quick, long, can jump out of the gym, decent shooting stroke! However he lacks experience, strength, and bulk to get too many minutes instead of the other options.

Joe Girad.

Him playing the two would definitely be our smallest zone but probably just as good or better of a shooting lineup as with Buddy. Joe and Buddy if they are ever destined to play together it would be Joe at that one.

Jalen Carey -

shows great athleticism and decent size to play off the ball but that would force probably Howard Washington or Joe Girad at the point guard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carey
Buddy
Hughes
Guerrier
Marek or one of the freshman

Carey
Buddy
Hughes
Guerrier
Marek or one of the freshman
This thread is not about starting lineups it was just about shooting guards and how the placement of the shooting guard could affect the other lineups.

I agree most likely we will probably see

Our smaller forwards there

A smaller center in Marek

and a pretty small backcourt as well

This thread is not about starting lineups it was just about shooting guards and how the placement of the shooting guard could affect the other lineups.

I agree most likely we will probably see

Our smaller forwards there

A smaller center in Marek

and a pretty small backcourt as well
Shooting guards gotta be Buddy imo. Elijah’s much stronger defending the wing/assisting down low. I think Buddy and Carey switch on and off at the two depending on each’s progression

I agree it is buddy.
It’s basically picking Buddy over either Marek or a true center.

Because point guard along with Quincy and Hughes are given.

but how do we see the Minutes and other combinations working?

To the OP. I can speak from experience. Posting while day drinking does no good. And also, the answer is Buddy while Goodine subs for both guards. We play 3 guards people. Unfortunate, but thats how its goes in these parts

It's also worth noting that Hughes doesn't give you much more off the dribble than Buddy so they become redundant in terms of making an effort to get both on the floor for any reason or sub one for the other. If we need to go 'big' my guess would be braswell and guerrier with marek at the 5 and that lineup would include buddy at the 2, in all likelihood.

As for Goodine and Girard, I think one of the interesting things to watch is where they ultimately play. Obviously size would seem to suggest Goodine at the 2, Girard at the 1, but from what I saw in the one time I saw them, Girard's handle is going to need work, whereas Goodine looks smooth there. Goodine also plays with some poise and looked comfortable deferring to others. Girard, on the other hand, oozes alpha dog/scorer. Wouldn't be shocked to Goodine end up on ball and Girard off.

To the OP. I can speak from experience. Posting while day drinking does no good. And also, the answer is Buddy while Goodine subs for both guards. We play 3 guards people. Unfortunate, but thats how its goes in these parts

Agree to the extent that JB is completely happy with three guards and not looking for a fourth. But it's an interesting roster in many ways, one of which being you have four guards who have proven nothing yet and one guard who played well as a frosh but hasn't exactly cemented himself as a 30+ mpg guy, necessarily.

I guess the other question is your definition of play -- I mean, Carey logged 300 minutes and even if you just look at the ACC sked, he logged 7+ minutes 7 times in ACC play including 2x in the ACC tourney. And that's while he was playing pretty miserable basketball.

The way we recruited Goodine (all over him and grabbed the commitment early) and Girard (went all out after him even with Goodine in the fold, Buddy on the roster and Carey/Washington not going anywhere. Who knows, but I just don't get the vibe JB is not open to the idea of giving both Goodine and Girard some run at least to see what they bring to the table.

Ultimately I agree, I don't really anticipate a 4-guard rotation, but I think who's in that rotation is a question and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a 4th guard getting a decent amount of PT.

Buddy starts at the 2 with Goodine backing up both the 1 and 2. Since Goodine can play both the 1 and 2 if for some reason Carey gets hurt or misses time Goodine would step in there and we would see Buddy and JG3 at the 2 splitting time. Even in the scenario I see Buddy playing like 30 min or so and JG3 only getting 10.

Buddy starts at the 2 with Goodine backing up both the 1 and 2. Since Goodine can play both the 1 and 2 if for some reason Carey gets hurt or misses time Goodine would step in there and we would see Buddy and JG3 at the 2 splitting time. Even in the scenario I see Buddy playing like 30 min or so and JG3 only getting 10.

Agree with the analysis and must say - visited Seattle back in May, what a beautiful area of the country. Plus, you have the added benefit of Hop in town.

it's not great how ever we try to parse it out, this is a young 3-star backcourt that is going to try to compete in the ACC. and, we have no center with young forwards.

it's not great how ever we try to parse it out, this is a young 3-star backcourt that is going to try to compete in the ACC. and, we have no center with young forwards.
Goodine and Carey are four stars. Girard is going to ball. Buddy is ahead of Andy and Trevor.

Goodine and Carey are four stars. Girard is going to ball. Buddy is ahead of Andy and Trevor.
girard could be jimmer, but he could also be a lot worse. andy made himself into a 2nd round pick which I think is above the upside of either trevor or buddy. carey I am bullish on, but the lack of shooting combined with bad ballhandling is not a good precursor for being a dominant guard in the acc. as of now he looks like sort of a bad version of dion.

girard could be jimmer, but he could also be a lot worse. andy made himself into a 2nd round pick which I think is above the upside of either trevor or buddy. carey I am bullish on, but the lack of shooting combined with bad ballhandling is not a good precursor for being a dominant guard in the acc. as of now he looks like sort of a bad version of dion.
Interesting. Carey needs a better handle or insert Washington

We will be middle of the ACC should end up a 9 seed make it to the second round unless we surprise at PG and Center.

We will be middle of the ACC should end up a 9 seed make it to the second round unless we surprise at PG and Center.
No surprise necessary. Carey needs to step up and play 35 minutes a game. That’s it. This team will suck if Goodine or Girard has to play more than 5 to 10 minutes at point.

No surprise necessary. Carey needs to step up and play 35 minutes a game. That’s it. This team will suck if Goodine or Girard has to play more than 5 to 10 minutes at point.
I don’t agree the best model is 28 to 32 minutes. A lot of the best talent SCC has left

so let’s not kid ourselves we’re not playing against UNLV OF late 80s. What did GMAC do in high school that Girad did not? He played more than 5 to 10 minutes out at point and I think it turned out pretty well it would’ve been fine even if Melo was only Hughes level player!

Let me start this topic by saying I believe one of the lineups I’d like to see is Hughes at the 2, won’t happen now with Oshae gone and because Buddy can’t play the one or three.

Though the lineup that would be potentially our best for defense and our rebounding would probably put Hughes at the two with ...

First pick yourPG.
probably Jalen or Howard. So with the best candidate for a point guard in that spot it is set up for our best lineup for everything but shooting. This also means if Joe were the one and Buddy the two, that would be a better shooting option than any other possibility.

Sg-Hughes,
Sf-Quincy,
Pf-Marek at his best position
Center-either Sidbe, JBA, or Edwards as the true center at the center.

Reasons Hughes won’t be at the two.

The three main reasons for Hughes to see limited to no time at the shooting guard

1)now we have one less forward
2)Buddy Boeheim - What is one of the few returning part time starters and has the most experience at this position and does not have the ability to slide over to the point guard or small forward what is one of the few returning part time starters and has the most experience at this position and does not have the ability to slide over to the point guard or small forward!

3) All the other guards we are going to be discussing in this thread.

Shooting guards..

Buddy Boeheim-

Showed a consistent shooting stroke decent passing and pull up shots. Needs to work on becoming a better play maker and put speed balls on offense and defense but his basketball IQ makes up for it in many instances.

Brycen Goodine-

probably our most athletic two quick, long, can jump out of the gym, decent shooting stroke! However he lacks experience, strength, and bulk to get too many minutes instead of the other options.

Joe Girad.

Him playing the two would definitely be our smallest zone but probably just as good or better of a shooting lineup as with Buddy. Joe and Buddy if they are ever destined to play together it would be Joe at that one.

Jalen Carey -

shows great athleticism and decent size to play off the ball but that would force probably Howard Washington or Joe Girad at the point guard.
On any other team Hughes plays the 2.

On any other team Hughes plays the 2.
Probably

but Jim did say during the recent broadcast 2 small forwards hurt our zone especially on boards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom