Should BJ redshirt? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Should BJ redshirt?

I'd take BJ's dad's stance with a grain of salt, anyway - and on this issue I'd understand if he keeps his cards close to his chest. For one thing (like many have said), the roster is far from settled. And it would seem more strange if BJ and his dad had by this point issued a confirmation one way or another regarding redshirting. As long as there is uncertainty, BJ will probably just compete for the best situation he can grab. I hope it doesn't happen, but based on the past decade, the chances of at least one key player being claimed at least for a few games by something injury/academic/discipline related seem creepily close to 50%.

It's only August. Half the team haven't even been properly introduced to Marshall Street's pepperoni pizza heartburn, creative panhandling, sidewalk Nike/Reebok de-flowering bubblegum and unattainable Manhattan-raised Mercedes convertible SU chicks whizzing by.

And what's up with the bizarre Grant as 2 fantasy that pops up now and then? What's next - Keita handling the rock to give Ennis a breather?

One of Johnson or Roberson should redshirt. So should Obokoh.

CJ is going to play 35 minutes a game, Jerami Grant is going to get plenty of minutes and the centers are going to play 5-10 minutes a game at the 4. So how are Johnson and Roberson going to get any minutes?

CJ is going to play 35 minutes a game, Jerami Grant is going to get plenty of minutes and the centers are going to play 5-10 minutes a game at the 4. So how are Johnson and Roberson going to get any minutes?
Johnson is going to play the 2 not a forward this year unless we are in trouble.

And you're basing that upon what? He didn't spend any time at the 2 in the Canada games.

Yes he did . . . most of it was before Fair got hurt. Once Fair went down (and without Roberson) there were just a lot more available minutes at the three so that is where he played. But before Fair's injury, Johnson played as much shooting guard as he did small forward.

BJ in some ways looks like the fantasy Syracuse player we've all been waiting for -- The really tall 2-guard whose height poses a huge problem for the opposition in the front of the zone *and* who also has a decent handle *and* who also is deadly from outside. His liabilities right now are his lack of weight/strength and his lack of experience.

I am guessing that if many of us were actually designing the lineup, we'd put BJ in there ahead of Cooney because BJ's upside is so much higher offensively and defensively, and by the end of the season it could pay huge dividends. That's not a knock on Cooney, who is a very good player and brings a lot of intensity, especially on defense. Many of us would also put BJ in there ahead of Buss because, even though Buss looks like a talented defensive stopper, he doesn't bring the outside threat that our team seems to need on the offensive side.

Regardless of what we want, we've seen this story before. Older trumps younger, defense trumps shooting. and beef trumps skinny. BJ is a great young player, but I predict we will be grumbling a lot about how little BJ is being used this season. Should he redshirt? No way, he should play a lot! But I bet he won't get to.

The second coming of Tony Scott.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if BJ redshirts but I don't think he should. He played well enough in Canada that I don't think Roberson has the backup forward spot locked up. I would rather see a season long position battle between the two than hope BJ improves solely through practice. It's nice to redshirt him and get an extra year out of a solid forward, but I think the next couple seasons (especially with McCullough coming) are going to be our best chance at a title. It would be more beneficial to get BJ some early game experience (however limited) than possibly have him stagnate for a season, IMO. Also, it seems that he wants no part of redshirting, so it's in his best interests.

The way we are recruiting I believe red-shirting will be very very rare and only situational. (see obokoh)
We are bringing in lots of talented kids every season. Even limited minutes as a freshman could be the difference in beating out a talented freshman the following season as a Sophmore. I just don't see any reason to red-shirt (other than serious injury) skill position players the way we are recruiting. If you have't showed it in four years one of the other highly talented recruits is so why would we be dying for that kid to play another season?

My gut tells me BJ is the best 2 guard on our roster, for whatever that means... It's all in JB's hands...

BJ Johnson is not going to play Forward this year. Everyone repeat after me BJ Johnson is not a forward. If you are going to use the name BJ Johnson and forward in the same sentence it should read, "I really look forward to watching BJ Johnson".

Maybe if we had a Devo, and Andy, you might redshirt BJ, but we don't even have a 2 guard you can call a dependable starter. Those saying CJ at 35 minutes, look how easily he's already been hurt, JB isn't going to take chances. Players get dinged up during the year, and you need people for depth.

Why would we red shirt our best permitter shooter? We will need him. When Ennis is not in the game which will be 8-10 minutes of every game then Silent G will be playing point guard and I believe Johnson will be splitting time with Cooney. In one of these games Johnson went 8 for 16 from the field. I think by the middle to end of the year Cooney will have made enough mental trying to hard mistakes for Johnson to play more minutes than him. Maybe I'm wrong but it's not worth the risk. I think BJ Johnson is the kind of hard working kid that will continue to improve and is more of a risk to leave after 3 years than he is to be the type of kid you wish he had a 5th year of college eligibility because he is not capable of playing at the next level.

If BJ can play zone at the top, he might not get a ton of minutes, but he does have the potential to get us back in a late game or even win spotting up. He can shoot from outside and we might need that down the stretch.

Again, I am not saying he ends up starting or getting a ton of minutes, but his shooting gives him the ability to play in important situations, even if they quick-sub back in a more experienced defender. He's shown me one thing. No offense to anyone on the team, but he doesn't have the shooting yips. Takes his shot like he expects to score. He has an aggressive aspect to his game that we need, might want late in a two possession game.

In four games:
9.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, .3 apg
14/28 50% FGs
4/10 40% 3 pointers

1 steal/game
.5 blocks/game

Pretty good considering the context. 6 days of practice, played one decent team. Played 4 games in a row. So, if he can keep improving on defense up top, since he's shooting 40% from deep, can we keep him? Ha, ha, can we?
:)

Ron Patterson went 7-27 from the fg (26%) and 1-9 from 3 (11%) with 8assist and 8TOs, so of course BJ should RS:rolleyes:

BJ Johnson is not going to play Forward this year. Everyone repeat after me BJ Johnson is not a forward. If you are going to use the name BJ Johnson and forward in the same sentence it should read, "I really look forward to watching BJ Johnson".

Since you're in Seattle, you are looking forward to watching him. I already watched him. If he's going to play the 2, why didn't he play that position in the Canada games?

Since you're in Seattle, you are looking forward to watching him. I already watched him. If he's going to play the 2, why didn't he play that position in the Canada games?
I would say its because Roberson wasn't there and CJ was not playing. I haven't seen BJ play for Syracuse yet but thanks to this marvelous invention by Al Gore called the Internet I have watched BJ. I'm bases my assessment more on the ineptness of Cooney than anything else.

Cooney is going to have problems his entire career in shooting, he is slow getting the shot off, and doesn't handle well enough to get free. Andy could catch and shoot, Eric had the fall back shot , and could drive to score. Gerry could catch and shoot, and could handle the ball, we need BJ, because he is someone who can get a shot up in most any situation.

Apparently you chose to ignore General20's post above in answer to the last time you said he didn't play the 2 in Canada.
And you're basing that upon what? He didn't spend any time at the 2 in the Canada games.​
"Yes he did . . . most of it was before Fair got hurt. Once Fair went down (and without Roberson) there were just a lot more available minutes at the three so that is where he played. But before Fair's injury, Johnson played as much shooting guard as he did small forward."

BJ will get a shot to play significant minutes once we reach conference play only if the team really needs additional 3 point shooters at that time. And it's possible we may. It's more likely IMHO that BJ plays 5 minutes a game at most come conference play. And that's not a knock on BJ, it's just a matter of being behind a number of other more experienced and more physically developed players.

I wonder if some people on this thread are not getting ahead of themselves regarding BJ's potential at the next level. We all like his game and expect him to have a fine career at SU. But he was not highly rated coming out of high school and making an NBA team is a very difficult thing to do. I hope he does develop NBA talent and makes a big impact at SU. But just as it remains to be seen how many minutes he gets this year, it remains to be seen if he becomes good enough to be an NBA player. I'll be cheering him on.

BJ will get a shot to play significant minutes once we reach conference play only if the team really needs additional 3 point shooters at that time. And it's possible we may. It's more likely IMHO that BJ plays 5 minutes a game at most come conference play. And that's not a knock on BJ, it's just a matter of being behind a number of other more experienced and more physically developed players.

I wonder if some people on this thread are not getting ahead of themselves regarding BJ's potential at the next level. We all like his game and expect him to have a fine career at SU. But he was not highly rated coming out of high school and making an NBA team is a very difficult thing to do. I hope he does develop NBA talent and makes a big impact at SU. But just as it remains to be seen how many minutes he gets this year, it remains to be seen if he becomes good enough to be an NBA player. I'll be cheering him on.
The reason I am so high on BJ is he is only 17 and is one of the youngest freshmen in the country! Cooney just turned 21 by comparison. BJ shot 50% from the fog and 40% from 3 in canada how many HS Seniors (his age group) could have done that? Grant is young too (18 i believe) and we can all see the jump he has made from freshen to sophomore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

We have one guard that played consistently well in Canada. How could anyone consider RS a guard? Patterson played terrible in Canada we can't even afford to RS him.

Defense doesn't count??? His defense was strong...

I would say its because Roberson wasn't there and CJ was not playing. I haven't seen BJ play for Syracuse yet but thanks to this marvelous invention by Al Gore called the Internet I have watched BJ. I'm bases my assessment more on the ineptness of Cooney than anything else.

Not a strong argument from your side... High school and college are different animals.. Also you didn't even see him in a cuse uniform in Canada... I like the kid too, but I'm not anywhere near saying he's the best two guard on the roster.

Buss didn't shoot well, but I believe what he showed defensively after only 6 practices will get him some time. Him and BJ both made careless turnovers throughout the 4 games in Canada. I think they are even right now in my book when it comes to the limited minutes that will be left at the 2 guard spot after cooney and MG

After watching him this week I think a redshirt might be the best thing for him with Fair, Grant and most likely Roberson when he is cleared ahead of him on the depth chart and his body not ready to play big time college basketball why waste a year on the bench when he could redshirt and get his body ready for next year

My guess is that BJ and his dad don't think BJ is a 4 yr player so why should he RS.

This is Trevor's 3rd year in the system, by now he should have reached the point where he breaks out, the 4 games didn't show that , Silent G didn't show he was ready. With all the question marks at guard, there is not a chance anyone who can shoot, is going to redshirt this year.

This is probably moot as it seems more and more like Roberson is going to get Southerlanded by the NCAA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom