Should BJ redshirt? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Should BJ redshirt?

BJ's shot is probably better then Mookie's was. He really feels it in his release Mookie's was all mechanical like a catapult

And I bet his handles and defense is alot better uptop.

For those saying redshirting him is a good idea- what do you know about what we will get from trevor and mike g that the rest of us don't? If we knew cooney and mike g were more than enough to provide outside shooting and consistency at the 2 then maybe it makes sense. Right now bj is as good as a shooter as we have on the team vs being bonus depth.
what we think we know is jb. JB plays vets. He has two kids that have been in the program. He probably won't play three 2's. Obviously, if bj is going to get a lot of run, no one would want him to red shirt. However, i doubt it. And I would love to have him actually play for 4 years. Silent g and TC are older sophs. BJ is a younger frosh. I do know want this kid to sit this year when he could red shirt and we have him for 4 more.

BJ's shot is probably better then Mookie's was. He really feels it in his release Mookie's was all mechanical like a catapult

And I bet his handles and defense is alot better uptop.
and...bj is better than mookie. He will be a very good player for us. I just don't see him playing much this year. I might be wrong. I base this on watching jb coach for his entire tenure here at Syracuse. We already play a frosh point. I don't see both guards being freshman.

If BJ can play zone at the top, he might not get a ton of minutes, but he does have the potential to get us back in a late game or even win spotting up. He can shoot from outside and we might need that down the stretch.

Again, I am not saying he ends up starting or getting a ton of minutes, but his shooting gives him the ability to play in important situations, even if they quick-sub back in a more experienced defender. He's shown me one thing. No offense to anyone on the team, but he doesn't have the shooting yips. Takes his shot like he expects to score. He has an aggressive aspect to his game that we need, might want late in a two possession game.

In four games:
9.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, .3 apg
14/28 50% FGs
4/10 40% 3 pointers

1 steal/game
.5 blocks/game

Pretty good considering the context. 6 days of practice, played one decent team. Played 4 games in a row. So, if he can keep improving on defense up top, since he's shooting 40% from deep, can we keep him? Ha, ha, can we?
:)

If BJ can play zone at the top, he might not get a ton of minutes, but he does have the potential to get us back in a late game or even win spotting up. He can shoot from outside and we might need that down the stretch.

Again, I am not saying he ends up starting or getting a ton of minutes, but his shooting gives him the ability to play in important situations, even if they quick-sub back in a more experienced defender. He's shown me one thing. No offense to anyone on the team, but he doesn't have the shooting yips. Takes his shot like he expects to score. He has an aggressive aspect to his game that we need, might want late in a two possession game.

In four games:
9.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, .3 apg
14/28 50% FGs
4/10 40% 3 pointers

1 steal/game
.5 blocks/game

Pretty good considering the context. 6 days of practice, played one decent team. Played 4 games in a row. So, if he can keep improving on defense up top, since he's shooting 40% from deep, can we keep him? Ha, ha, can we?
:)
I doubt very much we will red shirt him. The question was should we. And keeping him on the bench with the idea that we might need him seems like a waste to me. Silent g and tc will be the 2's this year.

I doubt very much we will red shirt him. The question was should we. And keeping him on the bench with the idea that we might need him seems like a waste to me. Silent g and tc will be the 2's this year.
Yeah, I think given his age and roster he should redshirt, but I don't think he will, and I do think he has the chance to play this season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't think the consensus is in on who the best SG is. BJ is like a baby in his development - he could change so much in just six months! If he plays this year, the worst case is we'll have him one year less. He will probably improve the most out of anyone on the team, even if its just 10 minutes a game before the ACC starts. If a guard gets injured, suspended or starts playing crappy, we'll wish we had him. He's just adds another dimension to an already very versatile roster.

Yeah, I think given his age and roster he should redshirt, but I don't think he will, and I do think he has the chance to play this season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Nothing would make he happier than seeing him be all acc. But I have watched JAB for 38 years...

We need a SG to drive the buss at sg not just assist it. Plain and simple.

Gbinije has shown no signs of being a scorer yet,
and Cooney is very dependent right now on the right weather conditions when shooting, unlike rautins, devo's and Gmacs. Its like having a high percentage spot up shooter needing to be wide open from three like alot of our soph jr forwards developing a 3 point shot.

This cracks me up, you want to red shirt the guy that has the most upside on the team? He'll get his run, a little more than MCW his Frosh year... After watching all four games I didn't see anyone that had more confidence than BJ... He's 6'7" and has all the speed, quickness and moxy of any SG on the team... His time will come.

We need a SG to drive the buss at sg not just assist it. Plain and simple.

Gbinije has shown no signs of being a scorer yet,
and Cooney is alittle to dependent on the right weather conditions to put up a shot.
Face it..we don't have a back up point. Silent G is it.

This cracks me up, you want to red shirt the guy that has the most upside on the team? He'll get his run, a little more than MCW his Frosh year... After watching all four games I didn't see anyone that had more confidence than BJ... He's 6'7" and has all the speed, quickness and moxy of any SG on the team... His time will come.
He has more upside than Grant? Roberson? Ennis? How did you make this judgment?

Nothing would make he happier than seeing him be all acc. But I have watched JAB for 38 years...
And you're saying that freshman never got unexpected playing time because they were better than expected? I'm pretty sure nobody expected Moten to be the star he was as a freshman. You're taking a definite stand without having ever seen the player perform. I'm saying that JB has always played talent because he plays to win, not to placate upperclassman. If two frosh are the best backcourt, then two frosh will play a lot of minutes. Fact of life. And for the record, I've watched him as long as you have.

Face it..we don't have a back up point. Silent G is it.

I would call it more 2 backup SG's then a starting one.
SG is maybe the only position on the court where you should have a player to help lead the team offensively. All the reason more not to redshirt BJ and Ron.

Just one example Dion Waiters averaged 6 ppg all year but suddenly put up 18 against marquette in a ncaa game, on a night rick jackson and a few of our leaders needed help. We loss the game but came darn close to winning and probably should have in big part to Dion.

SU is too thin at guard to take any chances. For that reason alone I don't think SU can afford to think about a redshirt for BJ. I haven't seen him play, but if he is the best 3pt shooter on the team, I'd expect him to be valuable this year.

Not to mention that it's looking like this is the last year for Grant as well as CJ. Even limited minutes will be seen as important to BJ's development.

I'd also add that a long, athletic 6'7 17yo kid who is described as a great shooter, will certainly be noticed by the NBA scouts who will be in Cuse all year. Argue all you want about "readiness", but the NBA shows no signs of changing their philosophy of drafting on potential. No sense holding a season of eligibility for a kid who can contribute (even in a limited role) and is likely not a 5 year player.

Why do we always think on here that 9 or 10 is too deep? Let's see, in the past few years, we have had some kids not go to class, get into some sort of trouble that led to suspensions, just left the team, got injured, got sick. And all of the times those things hurt us. We freaked out about all of a sudden our depth was not deep. Ten deep is a good thing to have. Especially come tournament time.

And you're saying that freshman never got unexpected playing time because they were better than expected? I'm pretty sure nobody expected Moten to be the star he was as a freshman. You're taking a definite stand without having ever seen the player perform. I'm saying that JB has always played talent because he plays to win, not to placate upperclassman. If two frosh are the best backcourt, then two frosh will play a lot of minutes. Fact of life. And for the record, I've watched him as long as you have.

I'd say it happened just last year with Grant. At this time last year what did people think of Grant's chances of making an impact? He had Fair, Southerland, Christmas and Coleman blocking him. How many minutes did Grant play in the National Semi-final game against Michigan?

He doesn't have to be a star to be useful, he just has to make an impact from time to time. I am highly confident that he can and will do that and that he will earn and be given the chance to do that.

I'd say it happened just last year with Grant. At this time last year what did people think of Grant's chances of making an impact? He had Fair, Southerland, Christmas and Coleman blocking him. How many minutes did Grant play in the National Semi-final game against Michigan?

He doesn't have to be a star to be useful, he just has to make an impact from time to time. I am highly confident that he can and will do that and that he will earn and be given the chance to do that.
Perfect example.

I think it depends on the kid. Some kids, if you redshirt them, they go into shutdown mode and don't learn anything during the year. So you basically start the learning curve all over again.

I could see both sides here, but id tend to play him...god forbid both grant and CJ leave after this year...

I think it depends on the kid. Some kids, if you redshirt them, they go into shutdown mode and don't learn anything during the year. So you basically start the learning curve all over again.

I could see both sides here, but id tend to play him...god forbid both grant and CJ leave after this year...

Well, CJ is leaving...lol :p

I could see both sides here, but id tend to play him...god forbid both grant and CJ leave after this year....

everyone here seems to have him penciled in as SG

some starting seniors like say a demetrius nichols or damone brown make you say hmmmmmm. what if...

I disagree with this. Many though Grant was going to make an immediate impact. He was the only back up for Southerland, and he was a very highly rated prospect.
It could also be said that Grant more then proved himself capable when JS was out, but as soon as he returned he went back to barely playing at all. JB made several comments about Freshman not playing at Syracuse, and had to make some defensive adjustments. Many here actually complained about Grants lack of playing time down the stretch. He if he didn't produce immediately in the 3 or 4 minutes he was given in the 1H down the stretch then we weren't going to see him the rest of the game. This is a good example, but for the other side. BJ is buried deeper then Grant was so if people are expecting to see him get double digit minutes I have a feeling we are going to have a lot of disappointed people. And this isn't saying I agree with it either, it's just the way things work in JB's program, it has been proven year after year for 3 decades

He has more upside than Grant? Roberson? Ennis? How did you make this judgment?

Grant and Ennis are now pretty much proven, Roberson is unseen and we all hope he looks as good as BJ has looked. Yes BJ made a few Freshman mistakes but if you couldn't see his potential...

The opinion to redshirt seems to be based on the fact that people THINK JB won't play him because of TC and MG. JB did not winall those games by not playing the best line-up. BJ is not Mookie and we don't have the 2 guards we used to have. IMO BJ will get a good luck this year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom