Should BJ redshirt? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should BJ redshirt?

Many of you guys are writing in this thread as if the kid didn't sign a LOI knowing full well that CJ Fair, Grant, Cooney, and Mike G were already on the team.

Not sure BJ ever expected to get 30 mins a game with those more experienced players ahead of him at 2G and SF.

Without much to go on, I suspect he'll get the typical JB frosh treatment - some games he'll play lots and others he won't get much run at all.

But either way, he appears to be a very talented kid and whatever minutes he gets this season will only help him AND the team in 2014-15.

I watched the games in canada. And this isn't a knock on B.J.. Just a look at the numbers. At the forward position, C.J., Grant and Roberson will play. At the two, TC and silent G. Not many minutes left. Talk to me in 4 years when he is still playing for us if he red shirts.

silent G's value is in backup pg as well. BJ is 6'7 , has great footwork on his jumpshot and an adequate handle. There is not a proven commodity at the 2G or a proven marskman from deep. I think we would be worse off in 4 yrs wondering the value he could have added this year playing with cj, grant , beast and ennis.

We have one guard that played consistently well in Canada. How could anyone consider RS a guard? Patterson played terrible in Canada we can't even afford to RS him.

No way he redshirts. He should get 20 minutes a game at 2G. He will emerge as the best offensive threat at that position if given he chance.

I have never seen BJ play. I don't know if he is good enough to play now. I can't say if redshirting will benefit him. However, I feel comfortable saying that the decision whether to redshirt him will be made by Boeheim and not BJs dad.

You seriously think the decision to redshirt a healthy player is not a collaborative one between the player the coach and the family? Especially in this day and age with a player who has pro potential in 2 or 3 years? Come on...

I would like to see him redshirt too get stronger and avoid playing little minutes on a deep team. Hate to see him waste a year when on the back end he would benefit from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

After watching him this week I think a redshirt might be the best thing for him with Fair, Grant and most likely Roberson when he is cleared ahead of him on the depth chart and his body not ready to play big time college basketball why waste a year on the bench when he could redshirt and get his body ready for next year

Makes no sense at all to redshirt him! None! He is definitely a player that go early to the NBA. He is farther advanced at this point than CJ was as freshman and we almost lost CJ to the draft. Makes no sense to redshirt a player that may leave early. Not to mention, right now, he is one of our best 3 point options and that is weakness of the team. The only weakness I can see.

We have one guard that played consistently well in Canada. How could anyone consider RS a guard? Patterson played terrible in Canada we can't even afford to RS him.

Seriously. I marvel at how strong everybody thought MikeG and Cooney's handles were. Ennis no problem but the other two weren't exactly blowing by the Ottawa guys and I saw MikeG get his pocket picked near halfcourt. Even average D1 defenders could give Cooney/Mike G lots of problems. We'll see. We are so fortunate to have Ennis. He's special.

Leo Rautins said that Hop remarked, BJ may be the best shooter on the team. With that said, how do you red-shirt your best shooter when you need 3 point options?
a lot more to the game than shooting. How strong is he? How much will he really play in acc play?

Orangezoo wrote- I think we would be worse off in 4 yrs wondering the value he could have added this year playing with cj, grant , beast and ennis. -Love it!

Its not about depth its about mismatches.
Come ACC play Gbinije and Trevor will be a mismatch less then half the time. Probably even less then the center spot overall. We need to try to develop a mismatch at SG for march. I think the best awnser over time is Roberson or Grant at the 2 on the defensive end and they switch with Fair on the offensive, or BJ. What are we going to do if we have 1 game in march where Grant and Ennis hit a wall?

Trevor and Gbinije aren't high volume scorers, Gbinije hasn't put up double figures in how many college games now??
And Cooney has done it maybe once? twice?.
BJ did it once in his first 3 games, and he put up 20.

He shot the ball from the corner Cooney, and Gbinije won't do that all that much. Gbinije caught it there wide open hesitated took a few dribbles in and pulled up unconfidently. BJ and Ron didn't hesitate to shoot that. His trajectory is right on target high and low hes that acurate and confident.

And he is much taller and shoots light years better then cooney off of movement or a dribble. BJ hasn't even been given a chance to drive the middle of the lane and pull up yet and right down the middle is the easiest shot to make for a shooter.

I would like to see him redshirt too get stronger and avoid playing little minutes on a deep team. Hate to see him waste a year when on the back end he would benefit from it

Kevin Durant should have red shirted too cause he was a good shooter who needed/needs to be stronger... I'm not saying the kid is KD, just that strength is OVERRATED. Remember last year when we were desperate for a trust worthy player/wing who we could trust to help bring the ball up. Remember how shaky Cooney was after a redshirt season. Give the kid some burn 2-5 minutes maybe more will help him when we need him next year. Imagine redshirting him and having CJ and Grant both off to the NBA.

Billy Edelin should have redshirted we had a senior duany a sophmore pace and a freshmen in Gerry to play before him, and he missed half the season. Thank heavens he didn't because we might not have had the seed we did if he did.

I trust the coaches decision.

You can't give a developmental redshirt to a kid that may not stay five years, much less four. What would be the point.

a lot more to the game than shooting. How strong is he? How much will he really play in acc play?

His strength in ACC play at the 2G is less of an issue than Grant's strength was in Big East play at the 4 last season. He has the potential to play a lot because the 2G position is unsettled. There is nobody who has won the position, much less won the majority of minutes at the position. And he is unlikely to be a 5 year kid.

hey i never said he isn't extremely talented. If he is happy with getting 12m/g against the non conference schedule, and a few spot minutes here and there in the 1H of ACC play then sure don't RS. JB has a long track record of not significantly playing freshman unless they are elite talents, or in need. BJ can shoot, but it's defense that gets freshman PT. He can use some time in the S&C program. I admit I don't believe he will RS, but just suggesting it may be wise for selfish reasons because I feel like he could be really good down the road. I just don't think a few minutes a game is worth it, and I don't really see him as a candidate to leave early.

where are you guys getting that bj will be good enough to leave early? And please stop with this nonsense that Roberson or Grant will play the 2 on d. They won't. And we sure wish we would have red shirted Damone Brown. Name the guys we regret red shirting? How about Bob Lazur?

After reading this thread, OG's tongue is probably bleeding from bitting it so hard.

Nobody is criticizing BJ, if anything it should be taken as a compliment because we want him to take it for selfish reasons. We know how good he is, and how much he can help us, but most of that help is still a year or 2 away. There is absolutely nothing negative being laid on BJ in any way shape or form.

having watched JB and his sub patterns and barring some freak injury or the occasional suspension i just don't see BJ getting many minutes conference time. do the math.red shirt may have served him well.

For those saying redshirting him is a good idea- what do you know about what we will get from trevor and mike g that the rest of us don't? If we knew cooney and mike g were more than enough to provide outside shooting and consistency at the 2 then maybe it makes sense. Right now bj is as good as a shooter as we have on the team vs being bonus depth.

I watched the games in canada. And this isn't a knock on B.J.. Just a look at the numbers. At the forward position, C.J., Grant and Roberson will play. At the two, TC and silent G. Not many minutes left. Talk to me in 4 years when he is still playing for us if he red shirts.
Silent G is going to play more point to spell Ennis than 2 if his ball handling holds up.

BJ in some ways looks like the fantasy Syracuse player we've all been waiting for -- The really tall 2-guard whose height poses a huge problem for the opposition in the front of the zone *and* who also has a decent handle *and* who also is deadly from outside. His liabilities right now are his lack of weight/strength and his lack of experience.

I am guessing that if many of us were actually designing the lineup, we'd put BJ in there ahead of Cooney because BJ's upside is so much higher offensively and defensively, and by the end of the season it could pay huge dividends. That's not a knock on Cooney, who is a very good player and brings a lot of intensity, especially on defense. Many of us would also put BJ in there ahead of Buss because, even though Buss looks like a talented defensive stopper, he doesn't bring the outside threat that our team seems to need on the offensive side.

Regardless of what we want, we've seen this story before. Older trumps younger, defense trumps shooting. and beef trumps skinny. BJ is a great young player, but I predict we will be grumbling a lot about how little BJ is being used this season. Should he redshirt? No way, he should play a lot! But I bet he won't get to.

I have to wonder about some of these comments. Last year there was much moaning and groaning about only having 3 guards. To the point some thought we should bring in a JUCO transfer. BJ will be far better than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom