Should committed Recruits take OVs to other schools | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Should committed Recruits take OVs to other schools

Yes, but as long as he is looking around, I hope we are, too. And we should tell him that. No reason the commitment should only go one-way.
If Babers leaves, our new coach could withdraw the offer. Is that commitment by the University. Technically, he could withdraw it at anytime.
It's a tough system, but I am unsure how to do it better. There needs to be a cooling off period before a kid signs.

That is not the reason. He is not a head coach because he was a very bad head coach.
Eeesh...some of you are dense...another way to say it is if you are adamant that our policy should be to rescind offers to recruits who visit other schools then you should start advocating for the hire of Kyle Flood.

Eeesh...some of you are dense...another way to say it is if you are adamant that our policy should be to rescind offers to recruits who visit other schools then you should start advocating for the hire of Kyle Flood.
Clearly reading isn't your strong suit. This has been addressed earlier in this very thread

Clearly reading isn't your strong suit. This has been addressed earlier in this very thread
Explain it to me then. Pretend I'm 4 years old. Shouldn't be hard. Pretending is obviously your strong suit.

"Should committed Recruits take OVs to other schools?"

No.

Ugh.

I've said this so many times before; yes, they should. Because, at the very least, it's an all-expenses paid vacation. Also, nothing is ever solid to NLI Day.
This question should be asked to the recruits and not the fan base is how I feel.....They and their family controls this most important decision,not me.

Who knows why they committed in the first place? Sometimes people are swayed by emotion and say yes so in my opinion they should be able to receive the fruit (athletically and academically) of all their labor and visit all the schools they are interested in. I want players who want to be on the Hill not regret making that decision because they didn't look around.

This discussion has come up a lot at Iowa. Kirk Ferentz has had the policy his entire career that committed recruits don't take OVs or else he withdraws the offer. He doesn't pressure kids to commit and encourages them to take their visits. But once they do commit, there is a commitment both ways. It cost them 3 highly rated recruits last year but so far, he seems to be sticking to it.

LOL at this thread title and argument. What's the argument? Should a 17 year old take 5 free trips to a possible college choice that can affect his life/livelihood? Is this serious?

I think a better thread title would be-Should the school look around at other guys if a verbally committed recruit is still visiting other schools?

I think a better thread title would be-Should the school look around at other guys if a verbally committed recruit is still visiting other schools?

No, to really fit the theme, here, a better thread title would be - "Should water be wet?" :p

To answer your title Q - YES!!, because that's exactly what they all do, all the time anyway.

Schools keep looking for other guys, either as an upgrade or backup plan.
Kids look at other programs, either for the extra 4 free VIP trips, or for what they feel might be a "better" offer or better program/situation/whatever for them.

Until the kids sign on the line which is dotted, their verbal commitments are just that - VERBAL.

Maybe the title should be do posters on a fan forum know more about recruiting than the coaches.

Maybe the title should be do posters on a fan forum know more about recruiting than the coaches.
Title is fine as is, and is quite specific. It’s not “should uncommitted prospects...”

Interesting to me for seeing the reasoning and impulses.

Title is fine as is, and is quite specific. It’s not “should uncommitted prospects...”

Interesting to me for seeing the reasoning and impulses.
My thinking on it is different then some.

I look at is as if a company has offered an individual a job but no contract has been signed...just a verbal offer of employment. In the mean time the individual receives another potential offer of employment. Should he not do his due diligence and check out this other opportunity. Plus the employer still has the opportunity to interview other candidates and possibly withdraw the verbal job offer.

Last edited:
I love that answer. Based on that, let's have a message board with only multiple threads of will Babers leave/let's give him more money, so he won't.
I think the current title of this thread is somewhat misleading based on the previous posts because it sounds like the perspective of the player instead of the staff. I don't believe most (including myself) blame the player for continuing to take visits if the staff is okay with it. The difference of opinions is more-How would you handle it if you were the coach.

My thinking on it is different then some.

I look at is as if a company has offered an individual a job but no contract has been signed...just a verbal offer of employment. In the mean time the individual receives another potential offer of employment. Should he not do his due diligence and check out this other opportunity. Plus the employer still has the opportunity to interview other candidates and possible withdraw the verbal job offer.
Six months is a long time to hang in limbo with a verbal job offer!

If I'm a highly rated recruit, I'm going to take all of my trips even if I know where I'm going already. Why not be pampered for a weekend, go to parties and have coeds throw themselves at you all in the hopes you go to their school?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom