Should Rak being getting Baye's minutes? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should Rak being getting Baye's minutes?

Imo, I think Bayes' hip must still be bothering him. Last year he blocked and altered some shots, and I can't remember the last time he got a block or even challenged someone without fouling. His hands however are not attached to his hips so I can't even come up with an excuse for them.

I'm sorry but Boeheim knows the players better than we do. Just because Rak isn't playing the middle in games doesn't mean he isn't practicing there and getting beat constantly. If Rak was better as the backup center than Baye, he'd be playing more minutes.

We actually had an extended test when Melo was out - Notre Dame where Baye got the majority of the minutes, and Cincy where Rak got the majority of the minutes (it was about 25/15 in each game). Baye did nothing in either game - finished with 3 rebounds, no blocks in his 40 minutes. Rak - well, he was very good against Cincy, and he at least had some rebounds against ND and a block.

I don't know, I love Baye, he was great last year, but he seems to offer up little to nothing on the court and in that situation I take a chance on potential.

We actually had an extended test when Melo was out - Notre Dame where Baye got the majority of the minutes, and Cincy where Rak got the majority of the minutes (it was about 25/15 in each game). Baye did nothing in either game - finished with 3 rebounds, no blocks in his 40 minutes. Rak - well, he was very good against Cincy, and he at least had some rebounds against ND and a block.

I don't know, I love Baye, he was great last year, but he seems to offer up little to nothing on the court and in that situation I take a chance on potential.

There were three such games and against West Viringia Baye got 4 points, 4 rebounds, three blocks and a steal in 25 mintues and one of those blocks won the game. Rak Got no points, 1 rebodun and 1 block in 15 minutes.

Here are there total numbers in those three games:

Baye 63m 3/3 from field, (neither player tried a three or got to the line), 6p 7r 0a 3b 2s 3to 9pf NP: 6

Rak 54m 3/5 from the field, 6p 14r 2a 5b 2s 2to 9pf NP: 16

They scored aobut equally but Rak was a much better rebounder, had more blocks and those two assists. He's also phsyically stronger. They both committ to many fouls and are inconsistent.

I still think they should share the time behind Melo. And I don't buy this "Give him 2 mintues at the beginning of the game" stuff. Give him 5 mintues at center. That will do him more good. He might be our starting center next year.

There were three such games and against West Viringia Baye got 4 points, 4 rebounds, three blocks and a steal in 25 mintues and one of those blocks won the game. Rak Got no points, 1 rebodun and 1 block in 15 minutes.

Baye 63m 3/3 from field, (neither player tried a three or got to the line), 6p 7r 0a 3b 2s 3to 9pf NP: 6

They scored aobut equally but Rak was a much better rebounder, had more blocks and those two assists. He's also phsyically stronger. They both committ to many fouls and are inconsistent.

I still think they should share the time behind Melo. And I don't buy this "Give him 2 mintues at the beginning of the game" stuff. Give him 5 mintues at center. That will do him more good. He might be our starting center next year.

Thanks SWC, forgot that there were three games. Interestingly enough in a couple different threads I mentioned that I do recall Baye playing well once, but that it was a while ago, that was the game - West Virginia. He looked like the Baye from last year in that one. So thank you twice!

I'm sorry but Boeheim knows the players better than we do. Just because Rak isn't playing the middle in games doesn't mean he isn't practicing there and getting beat constantly. If Rak was better as the backup center than Baye, he'd be playing more minutes.

This. To the nth degree.

How can anyone question the success this team has had this year and how the coach chooses to run it?

29-1, BE reg. season champs with a chance to set a record for BE reg. season wins. How much better do you expect this team to be?

Rak is not going to be the starting center next year. DC2 is coming and that pretty much ends that idea.

Rak is being groomed as a PF. That is where his tremendous potential lies. Not as an undersized center. Let's not kill JBs play to the future. I like his token starts for Rak.

If Rak can beat out BMK for minutes as the back up center this year then I am all for his getting some time there. JB gave Rak a little run there at UConn. IMO, Rak didn't do much with it. We'll see what JB thought in upcoming games.

You are being too kind. There is no word for how putrid his catching skills are. Never seen anything like it. Looks psychological.
Looks like purely nerves. Its like his hands "stutter" when he touches the ball.

Did you see JB's reaction after that? That was a key possession and Baye was given a gift, soft pass and easy to catch. Big Man 101 says then just go up and dunk, or make an easy layup. He botched it terribly and JB went bananas.

I think RAK gets a longer leash Sat and a lot more time in NYC. That might say more about the NCAAs.
JB wasted no time sending Fab to check back in right after that. I watched that play again to see what the issue was, and yes once Baye struggled to catch the ball cleanly and then decided to rush the shot instead of dunking or going off glass. At the time it was really frustrating to watch but now watching it again, all I could do was laugh.

Rak is not going to be the starting center next year. DC2 is coming and that pretty much ends that idea.

Rak is being groomed as a PF. That is where his tremendous potential lies. Not as an undersized center. Let's not kill JBs play to the future. I like his token starts for Rak.

If Rak can beat out BMK for minutes as the back up center this year then I am all for his getting some time there. JB gave Rak a little run there at UConn. IMO, Rak didn't do much with it. We'll see what JB thought in upcoming games.

I think DC2 is going to have a big adjustment to college ball, much like Melo. I think he's goign to have to lose some weight to be effective on this level. People who expect an instant star may be expecting too much from him. And Rak isn't undersized for a college center. He's 6-9 and about 230.

The question is NOT "is rak better than keita right now" the question is "is there anyone who could possibly be worse than keita?" and the answer to that is NO

I have no idea anymore, they're both very underwhelming. If one of them can step up their play, that would be a huge bonus.

I thought was Baye was pretty solid defensively last year, this year he seems to have regressed. He jumps at every single pump fake, and it doesn't seem to like he's having the same impact making plays/blocks. Could be misremebering I guess...
Totally agree. You think after watching Melo take charges he would do the same, but the light bulb still hasn't come on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom