"Should Sixers Trade MCW?" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Should Sixers Trade MCW?"

They need to get an all star and a lottery pick if they want to get value. MCW has star written all over him. The sixers played sloppy like a young team but the success they had with MCW playing off Hawes, Young and Turner before the dissemble of the team was impressive. His shot will get there. He impressed some of his competition as well. The high possession rate was also in part due to upon the team being blown up they were in so many games where they were down big they had to push more to try and get back into the game. Efficiency numbers are not useful on a team built to fail and earn a high pick.

Well, they'd certainly need a PG, IMHO. Whether it's a current quality PG or a projected star like Exum, without that, I wouldn't consider such a deal. But, what if you could get either Wiggins/Parker and Exum, in addition to parlaying your multiple draft picks into other valuable pieces, wouldn't you have to consider it? I would. I mean, you've got Nerlens Noel waiting in the wings. With or w/o MCW, I think the Sixers will be a real intriguing team in a couple of years.

Last edited:
OttoinGrotto said:
I mean, sure, when you have a statistical monster on a physical level that makes him unique from other every player at his position on a rookie deal with 3 years remaining on it, you definitely want to trade that guy.
He gone!

Well, they'd certainly need a PG, IMHO. Whether it's a current quality PG or a projected star like Exum, without that, I wouldn't consider such a deal. But, what if you could get either Wiggins/Parker and Exum, in addition to parlaying your multiple draft picks into other valuable pieces, wouldn't you have to consider it? I would. I mean, you've got Nerlens Noel waiting in the wings. With or w/o MCW, I think the Sixers will be a real intriguing team in a couple of years.

I don't understand what Ford is suggesting the trade would be. MCW for Wiggins/Parker and Exum? Clearly, that's a great deal and the Sixers should take it. It will equally clearly never happen. So really you're looking at effectively trading MCW for Exum (even if this isn't precisely how the trade lines up). Never say never, I guess, but this doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if "most agree" that Exum has the higher upside (I have no idea if this is true), you need to account for uncertainty. The hit rate on top-10 picks is what, 50% become solid NBA starters? 60%? Maybe 15% become all-stars? MCW has already established that he won't bust and has a high NBA ceiling. Exum has done neither - the expected value with him has to be lower because of the high downside risk.

I'm not the world's biggest MCW fan but for some reason Mr. Ford's terrible reasoning drives me nuts.

Here's why it COULD happen. Keep in mind that, in addition to their own pick, likely to be in the Top 3, the Sixers also have what will probably be the #12 pick which they got from New Orleans. They've also got something like 5 second-rounders. I agree that it would have to be a complicated deal, and maybe even a three-way deal, but the Sixers have the firepower to make it happen. I sure wouldn't deal MCW and the #12 for the spot where they can draft Exum, but there are enough moving pieces to make it work. And the Sixers' GM seems like the 49'ers Trent Baalke. A wheeler-dealer, but with a plan. As opposed to, say, Jerry Jones.