"Should Sixers Trade MCW?" | Syracusefan.com

"Should Sixers Trade MCW?"

Symphony Steve

All American
Sounds ridiculous, I know. But you've got an analytics guy as GM who traded Jrue Holiday the year before.

I think this article lays out a reasonable argument for why it could happen:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...the_76ers_trade_Michael_Carter-Williams_.html

I suspect others might have different opinions but, as a MCW fan, I'm not as opposed to this as I was before reading the article. BTW, I'd be a Sixers' fan if/when they turn things around.

Whaddayathink?

buy low sell high. that is the true path to fortune. this strategy does require a modicum of knowledge and foresight. and keep in mind MCW was the 11th overall pick (rather costly ). it'd be rather tough imo to engineer a trade for better value.

buy low sell high. that is the true path to fortune. this strategy does require a modicum of knowledge and foresight. and keep in mind MCW was the 11th overall pick (rather costly ). it'd be rather tough imo to engineer a trade for better value.

My concern with this is that we're not talking fantasy sports here, or, for that matter, commodities. I think there needs to be an element of team-building, shared sacrifice, the sense that 'we're all in this together'. Pure analytics could remove the human element from the equation, and I don't know how you could build any sort of team chemistry. Don't get me wrong. I really believe in analytics in sports, just think that ignoring the human element turns this into a lab experiment that could blow up.

I have no real opinion on the ultimate question, but the statistic the writer uses to write off the ROY credential is ridiculous:

"In the last 30 years, only three ROYs have won championships with the teams that drafted them. David Robinson and Tim Duncan were two of them, both with the Spurs, and the other was Michael Jordan, who can't be used as a comparison point for anyone."

This is wrong, to begin with, as Jason Kidd won a title with the Mavs (admittedly with a couple detours). But even on its own terms, another way of saying this is that fully 1/3 of the last 30 NBA champions have been led by a ROY playing with the team that drafted him. And of course a slew of other ROYs in that period have also won NBA championships with teams that didn't draft them. I don't have the energy to figure the exact number out, but well over half of the last 30 NBA champs have had a ROY (Jordan 6x, the Spurs 4x, Shaq 4x, Lebron 2x, Gasol 2x, Kidd, at a minimum).

The list of ROYs over the last 30 years is mighty impressive. I think if you wanted to tell a story to denigrate the accomplishment, you'd point to the Steve Francis, Tyreke Evans, and maybe Damon Stoudamire as score-first guards who put up big numbers but never really advanced. I don't think those are great comparisons for MCW who obviously has strengths beyond being a volume scorer.

Good point. But it wasn't THE statistic, it was A statistic.

Of course, I'm not sure how valid some of the other stats were. Especially the shooting percentages. SOMEBODY had to put up points for that team, and he likely expanded his shot selection beyond what was advisable b/c there were few other scoring options.

For once the commenters sound more intelligent than the writer.

Moar picks! Endless rebuilding! Value!

Of course, I'm not sure how valid some of the other stats were. Especially the shooting percentages. SOMEBODY had to put up points for that team, and he likely expanded his shot selection beyond what was advisable b/c there were few other scoring options.

Well, it was only one statistic among many in his general argument against MCW. But it was the only statistic he used to support his statement that "there is no less reliable indicator of future success than the rookie of the year award." Even giving allowance for some hyperbole (no less reliable? nothing?), it's still a silly statement. NBA ROYs have an excellent track record. It is clearly a very reliable indicator of future success. Not a perfect one, but a very good one.

It seems to me that he had an incredible first month of the season, and then he reverted to form. Sure, there was nobody else to score, but his shooting percentages wound up much more in line with what we saw at SU. His shooting coach did great work over the summer, but with the relentless pace of games and travel, the work on his stroke didn't stick.

It seems to me that he had an incredible first month of the season, and then he reverted to form. Sure, there was nobody else to score, but his shooting percentages wound up much more in line with what we saw at SU. His shooting coach did great work over the summer, but with the relentless pace of games and travel, the work on his stroke didn't stick.

That was my impression too, but it's not really true. He shot .386 in November and .405 for the season, so the first month was below his season average. His best shooting month (excluding his one, incredible game in October) was April, when he shot an excellent .525. He shot better after the all-star break than before it.

I'd be surprised if he ever becomes anything more than an adequate shooter, but he probably doesn't need to be to be a very good NBA player.

No! As a lifelong Sixers fan I FINALLY have an SU player on the team to cheer for! The Iverson years were painful. I hate having Hoyas and no-names.

If they trade him...they are dead to me. Philly can burn.

No! As a lifelong Sixers fan I FINALLY have an SU player on the team to cheer for! The Iverson years were painful. I hate having Hoyas and no-names.

If they trade him...they are dead to me. Philly can burn.

Wouldn't we have to bring Wilson Goode back for that to happen?

Of course - just keep trading everyone. If you do this enough you may be able to somehow get the entire lottery 10 or 15 years down the road if you play your cards right. Of course no fans will ever attend ur games, but once it pays off - watch out!!!

I'd like to see MCW stick around in Philly a bit longer and really boost his trade value. Another strong year in the pros can be really major in terms of getting a fat contract. My dream scenario is moving MCW to LA with Melo already there.

MCW, Noel and draft pick

for

Rondo, Sullinger

Waiters and MCW reunited in Boston with Avery Bradley, Nerlens Noel, Green etc.

I think the question is, "What if the Sixers think that his trade value will never be higher?"

I mean, it's true that he won ROY, but in a year when there were few contenders. If they evaluate him, say, merely as a nice player, not a franchise cornerstone, it might make sense to trade him to a team with a loftier evaluation.

Me? I'm with Pete Calvin. Finally have an SU player to root for in Philly.

Should they trade him? No. Would they trade him for what they see as even greater value and better players? Yes.

Trueblue25 said:
MCW, Noel and draft pick for Rondo, Sullinger Waiters and MCW reunited in Boston with Avery Bradley, Nerlens Noel, Green etc.

That sounds awful for the 76ers at this point.

Trueblue25 said:
MCW, Noel and draft pick for Rondo, Sullinger Waiters and MCW reunited in Boston with Avery Bradley, Nerlens Noel, Green etc.

Sixers will never do that. They think Noel will be very good so giving up both rookies for Rondo and Sullinger is a non starter.

That sounds awful for the 76ers at this point.

Agreed. As a die hard Philly fan, i love where we are finally heading. MCW, Parker and Noel is a young nucleus.
We will also have another 1st rd pick this year. We have tons of cash too. This team is three years from competing for the East title.

I mean, sure, when you have a statistical monster on a physical level that makes him unique from other every player at his position on a rookie deal with 3 years remaining on it, you definitely want to trade that guy.

Seems weird for them to do that. If there is a legit star coming back the other way, you pretty much have to, but those guys don't usually get traded. if Steph Curry is pissed the Warriors fired Mark Jackson and demands a trade, then knock yourself out. But thats not happening.

Here we go, the dismantling of another SU alum begins, a bit behind schedule if you ask me.
"Came from a weak draft" "can't shoot" blah blah blah.

Last edited:
Seems weird for them to do that. If there is a legit star coming back the other way, you pretty much have to, but those guys don't usually get traded. if Steph Curry is pissed the Warriors fired Mark Jackson and demands a trade, then knock yourself out. But thats not happening.
They usually turn out like Oscar Robertson for Flynn Robinson , or "Fill-in-the-blank" for 3 warm bodies and a pulse above 20 and 3 draft choices who won't even be good enough for hte D-league.

All I'm doing is laying out there what people who are covering the team are laying out there. I want to keep MCW, but I think the board benefits from reading what people who know a lot more than me are saying. I'm not denigrating MCW's game, nor rooting for the Sixers to trade him.

Last edited: