Should SU Help Compensate Our Fans Going To San Diego | Syracusefan.com

Should SU Help Compensate Our Fans Going To San Diego

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
who were stressed financially by the change from a Friday to a Sunday game this weekend?

We are only talking about a couple of hundred fans.

Most of the well-heeled folks and some of the not so well-heeled probably wouldn't apply.

I think that loyal fans who were hurt big time, $$$ wise by the change, which was never explained beforehand, should be taken care of by SU.

Set a deadline for application, require vouchers for the money lost & extra money spent.

Set up a compensation system with different tiers.

The university has enough resources where it wouldn't cost them a dime.

For example:

If the person lost $500 offer season tickets in the third level. Even though some of these people probably already have season tickets it's always nice to have extras for family & friends.

For those people who live far away from Syracuse, an autographed Jim Boeheim Hall of Fame basketball could be among some of the goodwill items SU could send.

Here is one example cited by Donna Ditota, of how this change in date affected one fan:

"She had a commitment she could not break for Sunday. And even if she failed to honor that commitment, it would cost $900 to re-book a flight that originally cost about $200, she said. Hotel reservations made on Priceline.com were non-refundable. All that Barrow and Henry-Wagner managed to recover from their initial $500 investment is the $150 it cost for tickets, which San Diego State said it would refund."

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

This is a great chance for Syracuse University to show loyal fans that they truly care for them.

Absolutely, yes. It's the right thing to do.

It's a bad situation to be sure, but S.U. doesn't control the weather.

They don't control the weather, but the initial contingency plan was that the game would be played in an indoor arena at the regularly scheduled time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when buying the tickets, there was nothing that said the date of the game was subject to change.

They don't control the weather, but the initial contingency plan was that the game would be played in an indoor arena at the regularly scheduled time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when buying the tickets, there was nothing that said the date of the game was subject to change.
i would be very shocked if the tickets didn't have some language eluding to the date of the game may change. i would assume both schools and the promoters would make sure it was in there legal right to do so, to minimize the risk of being sued (something all too common these days)

Not correct Chris. If you purchased a ticket you were making a contract with the game that it would be played on Friday, outside if good weather, inside if bad weather.

who were stressed financially by the change from a Friday to a Sunday game this weekend?

Most of the well-heeled folks and some of the not so well-heeled probably wouldn't apply.

I think that loyal fans who were hurt big time, $$$ wise by the change, which was never explained beforehand, should be taken care of by SU.

Set a deadline for application, require vouchers for the money lost & extra money spent.

For example:

If the person lost $500 offer season tickets in the third level. Even though some of these people probably already have season tickets it's always nice to have extras for family & friends.

For those people who live far away from Syracuse, an autographed Jim Boeheim Hall of Fame basketball could be among some of the goodwill items SU could send.

Here is one example cited by Donna Ditota, of how this change in date affected one fan:

"She had a commitment she could not break for Sunday. And even if she failed to honor that commitment, it would cost $900 to re-book a flight that originally cost about $200, she said. Hotel reservations made on Priceline.com were non-refundable. All that Barrow and Henry-Wagner managed to recover from their initial $500 investment is the $150 it cost for tickets, which San Diego State said it would refund."

This is a great chance for Syracuse University to show loyal fans that they truly care for them.

If someone lost a pile of money an autographed ball doesn't exactly make it up.

The game was scheduled to be played outside - things happen. I don't think it's up to the school to compensate someone else's choice.

Not correct Chris. If you purchased a ticket you were making a contract with the game that it would be played on Friday, outside if good weather, inside if bad weather.

that was the public contingency plan... but most, if not all tickets have rainout clauses. I would be extra shocked if this didnt, seeing that this game couldnt even be played in mist.

Yeah, I agree with Bayside. Something could happen to postpone any event, anywhere. If the organizer wants to refund tickets, that is their choice. Does it suck for some? Sure. Is it up to SU to compensate everyone? No.

It does control the scheduling of this game.

If you're going to schedule a lavish, overpriced gimmick 3000 miles away and then allow the game to be rescheduled just 4 days in advance without any compensation whatsoever, then you are showing no respect for your fans. For all the $millions going into the university, a few thousand for some good PR to compensate a few hundred people is chump change.

Why would anyone ever consider attending an event like this in the future now?

If someone lost a pile of money an autographed ball doesn't exactly make it up.

The game was scheduled to be played outside - things happen. I don't think it's up to the school to compensate someone else's choice.
A lot of hardliners here. So what if it doesn't exactly make up for a lost pile of money. It would show the University: A. realizes that it caused a lot of hassle to many and B. was trying to do something about it.

I like OEs ideas but don't think the University should discriminate among the "well-heeled". I think they should offer up his suggestions to all who were going to attend the original, and do it with a minimum of hassle. Don't make anyone feel like they are applying for some type of government handout, give these fans something easy to get in recognition of the hassle they have gone through. Yes, you could reduce the amount given out by making people jump through hoops to receive them, but that should not be the objective. I think it would serve SU well to try and do something nice to everyone who was involved in this debacle.

The University doesn't have to do this. It is just a good idea of something they could do. A lot of SU fans have been inconvenienced because the University was chasing a trendy gimmick.

that was the public contingency plan... but most, if not all tickets have rainout clauses. I would be extra shocked if this didnt, seeing that this game couldnt even be played in mist.
There's no doubt there is a clause that states you're SOL if it rains. I'm just talking from a "bargaining in good faith" standpoint. If you tell me the contingency is indoors Friday night, and then go with the "technically our contract says we can move it to Sunday" you're making a terrible PR move.

The game was scheduled to be played outside - things happen.

No it wasn't. The game was scheduled to be played outside if good weather and inside if bad weather...on FRIDAY night.

Hence the refund. It doesn't entitle you to insist that the game be played, or entitle you to consequential damages in the event that it isn't?

Bad situation, but I don't think you're getting anywhere based on a contractual claim on the ticket.

For example:

Why, did Nancy make it rain

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Hence the refund. It doesn't entitle you to insist that the game be played, or entitle you to consequential damages in the event that it isn't?

Bad situation, but I don't think you're getting anywhere based on a contractual claim on the ticket.
Wow. I missed the whole refund part of the story. my bad. Thats obviously all thats required.

Don't forget that each person had the option to take out travel insurance. Had hurricane Sandy hit this week, people would not have been able to travel to the game, but the game would have gone on as long as the players got there. Also don't forget the real purpose of this game is to honor the military, thus making Syracuse and San Diego St. minor parties to the event. I honestly feel bad for those who lost money as many of us are in tight financial situations. But how can the University determine a fair compensation for each person? Some bought packages through the university and some bought them privately. I am sure the athletic department has done what they can to help people rearrange hotels etc.where they had a hand in contributing to those arrangements. Maybe a signed ball would be a "token" nice thing to do even thought it does not replace the cost. They did have a hand in the decision not to play inside, and to move the date, so a token might be appropriate. It would be done more as a thank you for understanding, but not to try to replace people's loses. We take risks every day with what we purchase.

A game ticket refund probably is all that's required.

People making any expensive trek are wise to buy travel insurance.
It's usually affordable.
I even purchased insurance for expensive concert tickets just in case I can't make the show.

But...I'd like to see a lawsuit based on promises that the game would be played Friday either outdoors or in.
It might be interesting ro make it a fraud claim instead of breach of contract.
You can make the argument that if I make travel plans based on that official promise, then the game sponsors are responsible for my reasonable consequential damages based on my reliance on their material promise.

how is this any different than a concert someone may have purchased a hotel/flight/train ticket to get to and stay at? it doesnt. Its an outdoor venue..i dont see how the university is to blame. Wayne Mahar is to blame ;)

Lest we forget, this game was almost cancelled completely earlier this fall.

Also don't forget the real purpose of this game is to honor the military, thus making Syracuse and San Diego St. minor parties to the event.

You don't really believe that do you?

If the game was promoted with something to the effect of, "should inclimate weather arise, the game will be moved inside to such and such venue and played as originally scheduled", then I would be a little more than annoyed. You don't just shift on the fly and completely change the date of the game 4 days prior to it taking place. The event organizers and the schools are probably within their legal right to do so, but it's an extremely poor customer relations move if you ask me. Considering this was going to effect the Syracuse fans the most, I'm wondering how much pressure Syracuse got from SDST and the promoter to agree to the changed date, knowing that they would in essence be screwing a lot of their fans over.

if the event holders and schools were dumb enough to put a refund rider on the ticket that said if the game wasnt played on friday...you get your $$ back. then they should split the cost of the refund.

if a travel agency was dumb enough to do the same in regards to flights, hotels and tickets...then they should get screwed too.

otherwise...toughshlit.

i find this ridiculous that its being considered.

to me, this was like a baseball game.

no guarantee the game will be played the day you have a ticket for.

anyone trying to guarantee anything, is a fool and should pay.

but they shouldnt have to out of the kindness of their heart or because theres a bunch of whiney arseholes out there.

i realize obama won, but come on.

Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom