Should the NCAA give every single basketball player men and women’s scholarship player an extra year of eligibility? | Syracusefan.com

Should the NCAA give every single basketball player men and women’s scholarship player an extra year of eligibility?

How does this hurt the NCAA?
Every single player should get the option to have another year of eligibility.

It doesn’t mean the players would take it. This would be taking care of the athletes.
What about the spring sports?

What about the spring sports?
Sure give them another year as well if they want it.

I am not saying the athletes need to take the extra year but these athletes who aren’t going pro should actually be a priority for the NCAA.

So the 30 game prior don’t matter? They get a whole extra year of eligibility because they didn’t get an extra game or 2?
Do you change scholarship restrictions?
Do FR,SO,JR also get an extra year?
They’d all also be grad transfers technically

Makes no sense to me

Sure give them another year as well if they want it.

I am not saying the athletes need to take the extra year but these athletes who aren’t going pro should actually be a priority for the NCAA.
Would you expand roster size to allow for this, in terms of allowable number of schollies? 90 percent of basketball players were done for the year before today. I just don’t see the point.

So the 30 game prior don’t matter? They get a whole extra year of eligibility because they didn’t get an extra game or 2?
Do you change scholarship restrictions?
Do FR,SO,JR also get an extra year?
They’d all also be grad transfers technically

Makes no sense to me
If the NCAA cares about “student-athletes” this is about fairness.

The players don’t have to use the extra year. Just give them the year of eligibility. All the players deserve it. They don’t get compensated so who cares.

spring sports is a different question.. those sports have less scholie issues anyway. if a kid would have been done after 4 then i dont have a problem giving them a 5th

Would you expand roster size to allow for this, in terms of allowable number of schollies? 90 percent of basketball players were done for the year before today. I just don’t see the point.
No expansion players are still going to go pro, transfer. Most teams don’t even use all their 13 scholarships.

This would actually help midmajors. Players who graduate would essence get a free year of postgraduate degree and could go anywhere.

This is all about doing right by the players.

No expansion players are still going to go pro, transfer. Most teams don’t even use all their 13 scholarships.

This would actually help midmajors. Players who graduate would essence get a free year of postgraduate degree and could go anywhere.

They got 4 free years of college (or 5 in many cases) already. They've been done right.

I mean, this will hurt a few seniors from mid-majors, like Anthony Lamb at UVM, in that they won't have that opportunity to play really well against a high-major in the tourney. But it's just a few guys.

If the NCAA cares about “student-athletes” this is about fairness.

The players don’t have to use the extra year. Just give them the year of eligibility. All the players deserve it. They don’t get compensated so who cares.

as a former student of SU i feel for the student/athlete part of the school vs just the sports and their entertainment to me.

The NCAA should give ALL these kids another year. Let the rosters expand, bring back freshmen teams, etc. The virus should allow for some experimentation period so everyone gets a fair shake.

I'm for it. But playing Devil's advocate, this will create massive roster issues. I think they would need to allow exemptions for scholarship limits, maybe the number of SA's that take advantage of the extra year.

Also, that would impact NLI signees, who thought they were stepping into minutes, but the graduating player they were coming in to replace is remaining.

Lots of moving parts with this plan - not all of them easy to solve.
1584046588989.gif

This is a difficult one. I'm of the proponent of an extra year of eligibility, but not for Winter sports. Where do you draw the line? The eligibility was all but exhausted sans postseason tournaments and what is that? One or two more games.

In the case of LAX, Baseball and the Spring sports, they're not a quarter through their seasons and are already sidelined. Who knows when and if play picks back up?

So you're just talking about basketball? What about other sports at smaller poor schools that have fewer scholarships that incoming high school athletes were promised?

So you're just talking about basketball? What about other sports at smaller poor schools that have fewer scholarships that incoming high school athletes were promised?
Any sport that had its championship cancelled give them an extra year.

Any sport that had its championship cancelled give them an extra year.
What happens to incoming freshman intending to go to schools and play non revenue sports that can't afford to extend a year to current seniors AND incoming players. Those exist. Something will have to give.

What happens to incoming freshman intending to go to schools and play non revenue sports that can't afford to extend a year to current seniors AND incoming players. Those exist. Something will have to give.
Players who current seniors can go to another school as a grad transfer. Get a free year of post graduate elsewhere and they get a chance to complete an entire year.
If the school they are currently at can’t fit them in their plans.

I struggle on this one. Little to no impact on the student side of student athlete. Sticking to basketball the majority of seniors have played their last game. Most high major teams would have completed their seasons or would have 2 or 3 games left. A small minority might play as many as 7 or 8 more games.

Then look at the roster imbalance it would cause. Syracuse has no players who are exhausting eligibility. Presumable they would be capped at 13 scholarships while other ACC schools might have 16 or 17?

Not a big impact on the one-and-done factories, but:

BC might get an extra year from Thornton, Hamilton and Popovic -big plus for them.
UNC would have a spot open if Brooks were to decide to return and still keep their 4 scholarship seniors
Louisville has 4 seniors - 3 in the regular rotation
Notre Dame could return Pflueger and Mooney
Virginia - Key and Diakite

Now, as mentioned, some would take their degree and go, but by and large seniors aren't lottery picks. And there is potential for some significant roster imbalance.

Another consideration? Are most seniors now grad transfer candidates? That would really shake things up!