Should the NCAA give every single basketball player men and women’s scholarship player an extra year of eligibility? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should the NCAA give every single basketball player men and women’s scholarship player an extra year of eligibility?

Players who current seniors can go to another school as a grad transfer. Get a free year of post graduate elsewhere and they get a chance to complete an entire year.
If the school they are currently at can’t fit them in their plans.
Does the NCAA reimburse the schools the cost of the extra year?

Players who current seniors can go to another school as a grad transfer. Get a free year of post graduate elsewhere and they get a chance to complete an entire year.
If the school they are currently at can’t fit them in their plans.
Wouldn't there be less room as other players, players without pro aspirations, decide to stay?

I apologize. I realize now you were only referencing basketball. However, the NCAA couldn't just do it for one sport. And the numbers would probably still be difficult to work out, even more so on the women's side. Aren't there somewhere around 365 D1 schools? That's a lot of seniors with no pro prospects that would probably love to play one last year before hanging up their kicks.

Does the NCAA reimburse the schools the cost of the extra year?
The cost is very little. What this does is impact walkons who aren’t scholarship players who get scholarships because teams have leftovers.

Another viewpoint.

Don't know enough about the current system and dates, but could this in anyway impact people's ability to graduate on time?

If a school has to shut down will all programs be able to grant degrees this year. or even in future years, will a sophomore that was unable to get all his credits this semester, still be expected to make it up in 4 years, and then lose the scholly?

Some know better than me, but if a 4 year player can't complete his degree because of this, he should at least get a scholarship for next year... even if it is a "non playing" scholarship.

Why should a scholar-athlete get an extra year? Why is it unfair if a season gets canceled? Every sport or just spring semester. For every scholarship player? How do they covince colleges to pay for an extra year?

How does this hurt the NCAA?
Every single player should get the option to have another year of eligibility.

It doesn’t mean the players would take it. This would be taking care of the athletes.

What?

No.

I think that technically they played an entire season. No one is guaranteed more than 1 game past that season end if even the 1 game. If it were December then I look at it differently. Most of the seniors will either go as a graduate player elsewhere or they were done with college playing anyways. What they are missing is the chance of the "dream" of winning it all. But you really can't award another year to every player because in the end most would never get there. Only 1 team wins it all. If they are a senior, then they are getting their degree and pretty much the playing time they came for.

Would be a complete mess to figure out the numbers. If you give it to Seniors, then why not everyone? I guess that’s what you’re saying. No one in the NCAA goes up a year. Would help us, as we probably aren’t gonna lose anyone outside of Hughes to the NBA early. Sid for two more. Who knows what happens with our recruits though. Doubt we’d lose Dior, but maybe some of the 3-4 star guys. Not a fan of this at all. A full year for missing potentially a few games. What about the teams that weren’t making the tourney? They get rewarded for who knows what. It’s a pass for me, dog. But, I understand the sentiment.

Last edited:
So common sense is starting to prevail. Now give the winter sports athletes who didn't have their NCAA Championships the same benefit.

It's not hard NCAA. This doesn't hurt you that much.

I'm for it. But playing Devil's advocate, this will create massive roster issues. I think they would need to allow exemptions for scholarship limits, maybe the number of SA's that take advantage of the extra year.

Also, that would impact NLI signees, who thought they were stepping into minutes, but the graduating player they were coming in to replace is remaining.

Lots of moving parts with this plan - not all of them easy to solve. View attachment 177884

for the reasons you mention I’m against it. Stuff happens...it sux but that’s life

I hope this is at least for any spring athlete, not just seniors.

This impacts a lot of kids in different ways. HS seniors that have lost their senior year can't showcase themselves for last minute scholarships. Now there may be even fewer available for them if they were in the midst of deciding. And there are those who committed to school knowing PT would be opening up next year, or if this impacts all years besides seniors, beyond next year.

Then there are the underclassmen who have bided their time behind upperclassmen may lose another year of PT.

What about smaller school or non-revenue sport kids where the schools have limited scholarships? If a scholarship senior decides to come back, does that kid keep the scholarship meaning an underclassmen who may have earned it next year will not have that chance? Does the senior have to pay his way instead?

There was probably no best answer to this, but at least the NCAA did something.

I wonder what % of seniors plan to return? Probably less than 1/4, I'd imagine.

I hope this is at least for any spring athlete, not just seniors.

This impacts a lot of kids in different ways. HS seniors that have lost their senior year can't showcase themselves for last minute scholarships. Now there may be even fewer available for them if they were in the midst of deciding. And there are those who committed to school knowing PT would be opening up next year, or if this impacts all years besides seniors, beyond next year.

Then there are the underclassmen who have bided their time behind upperclassmen may lose another year of PT.

What about smaller school or non-revenue sport kids where the schools have limited scholarships? If a scholarship senior decides to come back, does that kid keep the scholarship meaning an underclassmen who may have earned it next year will not have that chance? Does the senior have to pay his way instead?

There was probably no best answer to this, but at least the NCAA did something.

I wonder what % of seniors plan to return? Probably less than 1/4, I'd imagine.
As to your last statement, I was thinking about this as well. Have to imagine kids (or their parents) on quarter scholarships might not be interested in paying for an additional year.

I kind of support it. Sure there is a bit of a bottleneck re scholarships but every college aged student is being negatively affected by COVID during their 4 years of fun in the sun as college kids.

Fall student athletes probably are out of luck but winter and spring can get another year. Will only help boost graduation rates which I assume are going to be negatively effected by COVID as things stand.

I don’t know what the exit from this is going to look like but if there is one industry that must pick up like business as usual it’s without question higher education in the fall. If this lingers every school should test the entire student body in August to make sure there are no cases and the few outlier carriers are identified and quarantined.