Should the NCAA give every single basketball player men and women’s scholarship player an extra year of eligibility? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Should the NCAA give every single basketball player men and women’s scholarship player an extra year of eligibility?

I am very much in favor of spring sports getting an extra year. I am not in favor of winter sports getting the extra year. Most of them were not effected at all. And the ones that were, most of us have been effected by this virus. We can't all be made whole. And in some cases, more than whole.

No most players already finished their season the others played 90 to 95 pct of their season. It's an awful break but you can't give them another year.

the other way to look is that you are now telling all the sports kids not only did many of you get your education for free you get another year for free and the rest of the campus whose years got destroyed tough nuggies..

the other way to look is that you are now telling all the sports kids not only did many of you get your education for free you get another year for free and the rest of the campus whose years got destroyed tough nuggies..
Those sports kids basketball atleast bring in revenue that covers the scholarships for the spring sports athletes.

The non athletes students don’t have to stay in school 4 years either.

i got 2 kids in college right now.. both have had the yr screwed up. they dont want to go another 20K in debt to resolve the issues this has caused and schooling from home doesnt help you graduate if you are in courses that need labs or will feed to the course the next yr but you never get taught the full course materials.

and almost none of the kids in the spring sports are bringing in revenue in any meaningful way.

the bball kids you want to give back the yr to the 75% whose yr was over or the 75% whose teams dont bring in any revenue or just the 70 teams who had a 1-2 game season left?

Those sports kids basketball atleast bring in revenue that covers the scholarships for the spring sports athletes.

They have to PAY to stay in school. At least recognize that part of it.

And lots and lots of schools don't make any actual revenue from their hoops teams. I imagine a select group do, but not all 300+.

i got 2 kids in college right now.. both have had the yr screwed up. they dont want to go another 20K in debt to resolve the issues this has caused and schooling from home doesnt help you graduate if you are in courses that need labs or will feed to the course the next yr but you never get taught the full course materials.

and almost none of the kids in the spring sports are bringing in revenue in any meaningful way.

the bball kids you want to give back the yr to the 75% whose yr was over or the 75% whose teams dont bring in any revenue or just the 70 teams who had a 1-2 game season left?
Your a good person to ask for the non athlete college students. Will schools be refunding a portion of the tuition?

nope..

the kids get a prorated meal plan back, but nothing for tuition. Since they were forced to live off campus they dont get that room money back either so 4 months of rent at 1K a month for a place no one is living in.

all classes will be virtual to end the semester and thats ok with me as much as it somewhat sucks. but paying for rooms they made the kids leave is more sucky.

The NCAA giving athletes another year of eligibility has nothing to do with regular students.

It’s apples to oranges.

How much revenue will they be bringing in if the games are played in empty arenas? And, even if empty stands are not mandated, how many sell-outs will we see next season as an anxious (scared) public waits for the other shoe to drop?

How much revenue will they be bringing in if the games are played in empty arenas? And, even if empty stands are not mandated, how many sell-outs will we see next season as an anxious (scared) public waits for the other shoe to drop?

TV money for football and basketball.

If the NCAA cares about “student-athletes” this is about fairness.

The players don’t have to use the extra year. Just give them the year of eligibility. All the players deserve it. They don’t get compensated so who cares.
Ummm, there should be far more concern about the quality of on-line classes than an extra year of sports.

If Buddy got an extra year and averaged 15 PPG in those 3 years in 34 game seasons.
He would pass Moten as the all time scorer in SU history.

NCAA all time 3 point record would have to be in play.

Absolutely not. I don't really care whether there are ways to make it work or not. There is no real justification for it other than winning more games and/or making more money. It just further untethers NCAA athletics from the college portion of the equation. Schools are continuing to educate their students and the students have the opportunity to finish the semester academically so do our student athletes.

We are all being impacted by and making sacrifices as a result of what our communities are going through, why should college athletes be any different.

It’s funny on one hand I wanted all the winter athletes to get another year of eligibility but as a Syracuse basketball fan I am not upset they denied it.