should the NCAA sanction penn state???. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

should the NCAA sanction penn state???.

IF PSU is hit hard by the NCAA, Pitt will gain a huge advantage.

To answer the original question, yes. 1000% yes. In my opinion, this is death penalty worthy. In fact, should be a no brainier. Tell me, think of a violation worse than this?

Really we want the NCAA to whack them for Sandusky, lest you forget we have this little drug testing issue. It would be better to have them decide it is out of their realm of enforcement.

Really we want the NCAA to whack them for Sandusky, lest you forget we have this little drug testing issue. It would be better to have them decide it is out of their realm of enforcement.

??? Apples and oranges.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That's a good point. it would be far better to let them escape punishment for covering the tracks of a convicted serial child molester than to serve some sort of penalty for violating drug policy. I hadn't thought of that angle.

That's a good point. it would be far better to let them escape punishment for covering the tracks of a convicted serial child molester than to serve some sort of penalty for violating drug policy. I hadn't thought of that angle.
How are they escaping punishment there are criminal proceedings against two members of the faculty and they could be on the hook for civil penalties. That is pretty far from escaping punishment.

How are they escaping punishment there are criminal proceedings against two members of the faculty and they could be on the hook for civil penalties. That is pretty far from escaping punishment.
Those criminal and civil penalties only relate to the Sandusky aspect of the scandal, and we all agree that those are some of the most horrific imaginable. They do nothing to penalize the source of the lack of administrative oversight... coverups to protect the football program.

Yes, they had a coaching change. That was likely going to happen any way.

Without a football related penalty, the message is: "It's OK to do whatever it takes to protect the image of your program. No matter how big the cover up or the crime that's being covered up, your program won't suffer."

That's a bad message to send. There must be a penalty, a severe penalty. While it's unlikely that the NCAA will ever impose the death penalty again, the set of penalties that I listed previously would be a good starting point.

For forget the Department of Education is reviewing the case it's possible they could lose their accedidation (unlikely but possible) or face significant fines for the failure to report. I am uncomfortable with NCAA being the morality police considering what a bang-up job they have done with compliance.

For forget the Department of Education is reviewing the case it's possible they could lose their accedidation (unlikely but possible) or face significant fines for the failure to report. I am uncomfortable with NCAA being the morality police considering what a bang-up job they have done with compliance.

The sanctions piece was covered well above -- yes there have been penalties but ask Miami what scholly restrictions and recruiting restrictions will do to your program.

But my only disagreement with your point above -- which I generally agree with -- is that we're not talking about a fairly common issue. I mean, this is a massive issue that runs through the entire program and athletic department. While I'm not crazy about the NCAA going hog wild over every drug issue or off-campus incident, etc., it's just as dangerous a precedent to set to basically tell every other program, "if there is a criminal activity going on and you figure it may damage your program's or university's image, then we're cool with you doing little or nothing about it." I mean, honsetly that's what it's saying. This is a scenario where an entire university decided to take very little action about a situation where there were very credible reports of abuse of disadvantaged minors. And it was going on for decades. So, I can't think of a worse message to send to fellow schools than to essentially say, "Ignore whistleblowers if you want to. We're cool with it. Just don't put recruits' names on jerseys and lower them through dry ice in the stadium. That's where we draw the line."

Oops. His wife and son Jay should be in jail too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

These two graphs don't do much to help the whole "joe pa wasn't sure what to do" response to the sandusky issue:

She wrote back to the president, saying, "Thanks for sharing. I assume he is talking about discipline relative to TEAM rules (note: he does not say that). Obviously discipline relative to the law is up to the police and the courts, and discipline relative to violations of the student code of conduct is the responsibility of Judicial Affairs.
"This has not always been clear with Coach Paterno so we might want to clarify that and encourage him to work with us to find the truth and handle this collaboratively with the police and the university," she went on. "The challenge here is that the letter suggests that football should handle this and now Coach Paterno is also saying THEY will handle this and makes it look like the normal channels will be ignored for football players.
"Can you remind them of police and University responsibility?"

I guess at PS when the university suspends you, they don't really, otherwise how can you not miss games?