Should We Schedule another Home and Home With UConn? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should We Schedule another Home and Home With UConn?

Schedule a 2 for 1 deal, or a 3 for 1deal with them after they drop back down to 1AA.

This right there. Playing them only helps them it does nothing for SU. We shouldn't be helping them.

Same in basketball too, no need to play them anymore. The Big East is over and dead with everyone needs to move on. Aside from Georgetown and maybe St.Johns just for the NYC aspect, no need to play any other former Big East schools in season.

We need to schedule Albany and Buffalo honestly for football.
^^ This ^^

This right there. Playing them only helps them it does nothing for SU. We shouldn't be helping them.

Same in basketball too, no need to play them anymore. The Big East is over and dead with everyone needs to move on. Aside from Georgetown and maybe St.Johns just for the NYC aspect, no need to play any other former Big East schools in season.

We need to schedule Albany and Buffalo honestly for football.

Disagree. Playing and beating UConn and Georgetown is fun. This is entertainment, at the end of the day. Boeheim vs. Ewing? I mean who as a college sports fan wouldn't want to see that?

I see no reason to play UConn every year in football, but working them into the rotation a few times per decade with regional teams like Army and Rutgers seems logical.

The idea that playing a team "legitimizes" them has always confused me. We played Wagner this year, no one cares. We have to have some cream puffs on the schedule.

Last edited:
Disagree. Playing and beating UConn and Georgetown is fun. This is entertainment, at the end of the day. Boeheim vs. Ewing? I mean who as a college sports fan wouldn't want to see that?

I see no reason to play UConn every year in football, but working them into the rotation a few times per decade with regional teams like Army and Rutgers seems logical.

The idea that playing a team "legitimizes" them has always confused me. We played Wagner this year, no one cares. We have to have some cream puffs on the schedule.
UConn fans want to beat Syracuse like Syracuse fans want to beat Penn State.

We gain nothing from playing UConn.
We play at Boston College every 2 years so New England alumni get their game. Connecticut isn’t a bastion for college football recruiting thus playing games there doesn’t help with recruiting.
Rutgers does a lot more for the Syracuse as they are a P5 team which one of them is required for 1 of the 4 OOC games by the ACC and NJ is a state we recruit in.

UConn is a terrible football game for us a nonconference game. If we win that is expected and if we lose it cause meltdowns on the board and in perception.

No need to play them. They gain more than Syracuse.
UConn football to Syracuse football is how Penn State football fans feel about us.
They gain nothing and can only lose.

UConn fans want to beat Syracuse like Syracuse fans want to beat Penn State.

We gain nothing from playing UConn.
We play at Boston College every 2 years so New England alumni get their game. Connecticut isn’t a bastion for college football recruiting thus playing games there doesn’t help with recruiting.
Rutgers does a lot more for the Syracuse as they are a P5 team which one of them is required for 1 of the 4 OOC games by the ACC and NJ is a state we recruit in.

UConn is a terrible football game for us a nonconference game. If we win that is expected and if we lose it cause meltdowns on the board and in perception.

No need to play them. They gain more than Syracuse.
UConn football to Syracuse football is how Penn State football fans feel about us.
They gain nothing and can only lose.

Penn State beat us 24 out of the last 27 times they played us. We're 5-6 against UConn. Are you sure that's an apples to apples comparison in terms of fan perception?

I mean, losing to Middle Tennessee last year was bad for perception and caused a board meltdown, but I would be fine continuing to play them occasionally as a mid-major.

I think we should have home and home with UConn, Buffalo, Army, Maryland, and Rutgers on a yearly basis. Short road trips for the fans traveling to road games.

UB and Army yes, the rest not so much.

We will definitely play an FCS in 2020, the big question is who the other game will be against, a good G5? Bad G5? Are we really worry about being ridiculed? Just freaking keep winning.
UFN: Cuse is done scheduling the elite teams OOC.

If they win 9-10 games the next two seasons I bet they reevaluate.

It makes no sense to play UCONN because they aren't a P5 team and they are in our region of the country who has had some recent mild success in the past 15 or so years. If we are going to use an OOC game on a weak link get a total doormat and not a team like UCONN.

It would make more sense to play Rutgers every year since it fills our obligation to play a P5 team from another conference. And NJ is a recruiting hot-bed. At least we can justify scheduling them every year or often at least.

When SU beats UCONN nobody cares and it means nothing. IF UCONN ever upset Syracuse it makes their football program stronger and could give them a spark to continue growing. It's a lose-lose for SU to play them.

There are plenty of doormats we can schedule, UCONN doesn't need to be one of them

Penn State beat us 24 out of the last 27 times they played us. We're 5-6 against UConn. Are you sure that's an apples to apples comparison in terms of fan perception?

I mean, losing to Middle Tennessee last year was bad for perception and caused a board meltdown, but I would be fine continuing to play them occasionally as a mid-major.
Lol you must feel dirty making the argument you just made. If you want to factor in Syracuse was at the nadir of its history and UConn was at the highest of their history that matters a lot.
Syracuse to UConn is Penn State to Syracuse. In terms of historical football program.

Also we played Middle Tennessee as a buy game. It wasn’t a home/home.

When SU beats UCONN nobody cares and it means nothing.

Of course it means something. It gives us a win in the win column and moves us one win closer to bowl eligibility.

Of course it means something. It gives us a win in the win column and moves us one win closer to bowl eligibility.
So does a win over Tulsa or Charlotte why not schedule them instead? You know what I mean when I say what I said. Why play a team in your region of the country that at times in the past 15 years has been better than you? Right now conference wise, on the field wise and such we are above them. We have no need to play them and playing them only helps them. It does nothing for SU at all.

So does a win over Tulsa or Charlotte why not schedule them instead? You know what I mean when I say what I said. Why play a team in your region of the country that at times in the past 15 years has been better than you? Right now conference wise, on the field wise and such we are above them. We have no need to play them and playing them only helps them. It does nothing for SU at all.

Because playing at Tulsa would draw about 50 SU fans whereas playing at UConn draws a few thousand. All I'm saying is playing UConn 2-3 times per decade (if it's a 2 for 1) is nothing to stress out about and is a good road trip for lots of SU fans.

We are a better program than them right now. They have obnoxious fans. So let's go kick their ass a few times per decade. What's the harm in that?

Because playing at Tulsa would draw about 50 SU fans whereas playing at UConn draws a few thousand. All I'm saying is playing UConn 2-3 times per decade (if it's a 2 for 1) is nothing to stress out about and is a good road trip for lots of SU fans.

We are a better program than them right now. They have obnoxious fans. So let's go kick their ass a few times per decade. What's the harm in that?
It's nothing to stress about but its bad business. And wanting to shut up their fans essentially because you think they are obnoxious isn't a valid reason to schedule someone. Must think with your head not your heart. First rule of business.

It's nothing to stress about but its bad business. And wanting to shut up their fans essentially because you think they are obnoxious isn't a valid reason to schedule someone. Must think with your head not your heart. First rule of business.

This isn’t business, it’s entertainment.

This isn’t business, it’s entertainment.
To you it is. To the school its a business and protecting your brand and being smart about how to grow and protect your brand. And who you play and don't play is a big part of that

To you it is. To the school its a business and protecting your brand and being smart about how to grow and protect your brand. And who you play and don't play is a big part of that

I don’t think the two of us will ever be at the same page with scheduling philosophy. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.

I'd hang up the phone if they asked for a home and home. 2 for 1 or a buy game I consider it.

Shocked they fired their coach wonder who they are looking at they only paid him 500k a year.

2020 we have 2 open dates still. I don't think we can go FCS because if you do then you have to travel to Tuscaloosa to balance it out with Buttgers and Liberty the 2 other games scheduled we'd be ridiculed if 2020 happened to be a good season if we played FCS/Buttgers/Liberty/weak FBS.
Their a tomato can, an easy W, and there are some good recruits in Mass and New England.

Their a tomato can, an easy W, and there are some good recruits in Mass and New England.

Where do we play the away game? McGuirk is closest for our fanbase sure Foxboro or Fenway would have some appeal but both will be empty.

It really only makes sense if its the season the Dome is closed. I met their old AD (he was interim for a couple years) a couple years ago pretty sure he told me that Umass wouldn't do a buy game and wanted a home and home and we said no so it never went anywhere I asked why we hadn't played.

He also made sure to mention lacrosse games that were over a decade ago lol. He got a good deal off BYU with a 2 for 1 in Umass's favor and was correctly proud of it since he signed that contract.

I think we should focus on being National. As I said unless the Dome was closed for the year I don't think our CNY fans are eager to visit Amherst there is little appeal and noone cares about them.

We hate uconn so the chance to embarrass them appeals to everyone. It was dumb to play them for the 4th time in 4 years in hoops. We should have scheduled Nova at MSG for the date where they play uconn in late December. We'd have had nothing to lose and everything to gain playing them (noone knew the entire team would bolt early to the NBA since that hasn't been Novas MO.)

December 22nd Cuse Nova in MSG instead of that stupid ass tournament last week would have been great.

A lot of good points. I liked watching Syracuse destroy uconn this year. I got tickets for around 50 bucks each around the 30 yard line. So yes, I do enjoy the cheap tickets. And yes I do like beating uconn. It's a rivalry game. But I do agree with some people that dont want to play them. We don't get a whole lot out of a win. But I guess I would vote yes because we should beat them most of the time and it's a rivalry game.

They might not have a program in five years.

Otherwise we do have a few games to fill. A 3-1 isn’t the worst thing in the world.

The Carolina schools play ECU. FSU plays USF. Not that different

I would say no for the simple fact we need to venture out of the northeast for recruiting purposes.

We already play BC which covers that far north east area and think thats more than enough exposure to that geography.

Selfishly I would love to see more midwest games as we seem to have developed some "ins" in the Michigan, Illinois area which I think has worked out well for us.

Love the Purdue home and home in a couple of years and would love to see us do more of that not against Power perennial top 30 teams.

I would say no for the simple fact we need to venture out of the northeast for recruiting purposes.

We already play BC which covers that far north east area and think thats more than enough exposure to that geography.

Selfishly I would love to see more midwest games as we seem to have developed some "ins" in the Michigan, Illinois area which I think has worked out well for us.

Love the Purdue home and home in a couple of years and would love to see us do more of that not against Power perennial top 30 teams.

Good post.

I don't think any of the name SEC schools are trying to come to the Dome. We don't recruit the Big 12 or Pac 12 regions. See who we can get from the B1G. Played Iowa and Minny tough when we were dogcrap.

Those boring offenses will be reluctant to go into a Dome and play vs Dinos system but if you let them have the first game at their place while the new roof is put on the Dome they might bite.

Still can't believe we backed out of the Wisconsin series so lame.

They kill our SOS which hurts our chances of making it to the playoffs or NY6.