SIAP- Carmelo not getting along | Syracusefan.com

SIAP- Carmelo not getting along

The entire Phil Jackson, guru , triangle offense thing is hilarious to me. Must be hard to win championships with jordan and pippen or Kobe and Shaq. Let's see what he can do with crap and shart.

The entire Phil Jackson, guru , triangle offense thing is hilarious to me. Must be hard to win championships with jordan and pippen or Kobe and Shaq. Let's see what he can do with crap and shart.

I'm not saying the triangle isn't a fine offensive system but most offensive systems would work out pretty good with MJ/Pip or Kobe/Shaq. I can't remember one other example of a team winning a championship running the triangle.

I'm not saying the triangle isn't a fine offensive system but most offensive systems would work out pretty good with MJ/Pip or Kobe/Shaq. I can't remember one other example of a team winning a championship running the triangle.

I also don't ever recall a team's President deciding the offensive scheme to use.

I also don't ever recall a team's President deciding the offensive scheme to use.

If you are going to decide the system then why not coach . . . . . . . . because you want to be able to pass the buck if it doesn't work out.

Meh, one guy is a six time champion...the other is a chucker who plays defense When he feels like it.

If you are going to decide the system then why not coach . . . . . . . . because you want to be able to pass the buck if it doesn't work out.

He can pass the buck for this season as there wasn't much he could do. But in the next few years, it's his job to build that team and he will get plenty of criticism if he doesn't.

At this point, they might as well tank. They actually have their draft pick for once, I believe.

Hardaway probably shouldn't mouth off too much. He plays with energy, but he's really not good at anything. He should be happy he's in the league and getting some minutes. Becoming known as a malcontent for a guy that limited can be a ticket out of the league.

nobody has bought into the triangle.

its pathetic.

they also barely start it...and when they do, nobody cuts hard to their next spot after passing. its pass, jog and stand, or pass, stand and stand.

the good news is their complete lack of defense overshadows their complete apathy towards running an offense.

Pop may try to win by 50 tonight...with his bench.

The entire Phil Jackson thing is a joke, he is basically getting paid for a part time retirement gig. Did people think he was going to waive a magic wand over this disaster of a franchise and turn things around? He isn't coaching the team, and he isn't bringing Mj, Kobe or Shaq here.

The entire Phil Jackson thing is a joke, he is basically getting paid for a part time retirement gig. Did people think he was going to waive a magic wand over this disaster of a franchise and turn things around? He isn't coaching the team, and he isn't bringing Mj, Kobe or Shaq here.

I actually do believe people thought he would waive a magic wand and it would work. Why? Because people buy into whatever they hear on ESPN and that is what they made it sound like would happen.

Probably because they are like 4-19.

Prior to last year, his teams were always doing pretty well.

It's funny to me that supposedly Hardaway is the one complaining. He's kind've a chucker/poor defender himself.

The sentence that said something like both guys think the other just wants to shoot and doesn't care about defense was perfect.

Knicks better start winning next year. They gave up their 1st rounder next year for Andrea Bargnani.

LOL Knicks

The triangle is a great offense when it is run correctly and with energy. Just like any other offense. It's not extremely complex but it requires playing an unselfish brand of ball with players that have more complete skill sets than many teams have. You don't have to have MJ and Pippen to win. Pippen and Kukoc were enough if they don't get screwed on a bad call. The Spurs run an offense that has similar requirements but isn't a double post offense. Nobody complains because they have unselfish, skilled players. Its not Jackson and it's not the triangle. Players need to look in the mirror. Personally, I hate ISO ball.

Knicks better start winning next year. They gave up their 1st rounder next year for Andrea Bargnani.

LOL Knicks

To be fair to them (which, why) they traded the lower of their first rounder or Denver's for Bargnani. They gave Denver the right to swap 1's in 2016 when they got Melo.

The big problem I have with the triangle is it seems to focus too much on mid range jumpers

It's interesting to think about how much coaches actually affect wins/losses. I think at the lower levels, including college, where the coaches are still doing a lot of actual teaching and thereby impacting the development of their players, you could reasonably say that a coach dramatically impacts whether or not his/her team wins. When you get to the professional leagues, those players are by and large fully developed talent-wise and aren't as impacted by coaching. Of course, some aspects of coaching will always matter, like game preparation or in-game strategy, but generally speaking, I think a team wins or loses based on the performance of the players on the field. At least at the pro level, I think coaches/managers generally get too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when it loses.

It's impossible to know one way or the other, but it is interesting how many "genius", or HOF-level, coaches in the various pro leagues achieved their genius status when they coached a team with one, or even a series of, transcendent talents. Would Belichick be considered such a great coach without Brady? Would Torre be considered a great coach without Jeter/Rivera, etc.? Sometimes it's the opposite, like with Calipari and his army of NBA-ready players -- people fall over themselves trying to knock his ability as a coach. Of course, that's more because he's just so damn shady...

It would be great to actually know the true impact of a coach, like if we got to witness some alternate, bizarro 90's with Phil Jackson coaching the Mavs, or in the 2000s, the Clippers. Then we'd know for sure if he was a genius with an amazing offensive system, or perhaps just competent and in the right place at the right time. I'm tempted to think it's the latter.

It would be great to actually know the true impact of a coach, like if we got to witness some alternate, bizarro 90's with Phil Jackson coaching the Mavs, or in the 2000s, the Clippers. Then we'd know for sure if he was a genius with an amazing offensive system, or perhaps just competent and in the right place at the right time. I'm tempted to think it's the latter.

Or if Phil was coaching the greatest player of all time, then he lost that player, I wonder what would happen to the team he had.

I think Phil is one of the best coaches in the history of the game, but you aren't going to win without players.

4-19 with that on that roster is just inexcusable. Fisher is getting on the job training.
If the NYK could trade Melo I would. This team just isn't clicking. If not Melo I Buyout JR Smith today.

Or if Phil was coaching the greatest player of all time, then he lost that player, I wonder what would happen to the team he had.

I think Phil is one of the best coaches in the history of the game, but you aren't going to win without players.

As I said above, he should have won with an MJ-less team in 93. Phantom foul on a Hubie 3 puts the Knicks over them. Check that Roster. One top 50 player and a couple of very good players. No transcendent players on that team. And there is nothing wrong with mid range jumpers...except nobody can hit one. There is also a lot of opportunity for open threes in the triangle. No offense, but it doesn't seem like you really understand it.

As I said above, he should have won with an MJ-less team in 93. Phantom foul on a Hubie 3 puts the Knicks over them. Check that Roster. One top 50 player and a couple of very good players. No transcendent players on that team. And there is nothing wrong with mid range jumpers...except nobody can hit one. There is also a lot of opportunity for open threes in the triangle. No offense, but it doesn't seem like you really understand it.

Pippen is much more than a top 50 player (it was 94, not 93) but i think we pretty much agree.

I've watched a ton of Knicks games this year; it's gotten better lately but they've taken way too many mid range jumpers. (this is from about 3 weeks ago, it's gotten better, but check the Knicks shot distribution https://twitter.com/edkupfer/status/534527733171101698)

I don't think the '94 Bulls would've beaten the Rockets. Not that they played often, but the Rockets used to get the best of them in those years even when Jordan was playing.