Sick of our O | Syracusefan.com

Sick of our O

K

kingottoiii

Lets just hire Tony Franklin and go all out on O. Also let him bring on a disciple because if he has success here he will only last 2-3 seasons.

Bring in Matt Campbell from Toledo, young, great recruiter and obviously one hell of an offensive mind...he would certainly take the job because of the sever pay raise and profile

Bring in Matt Campbell from Toledo, young, great recruiter and obviously one hell of an offensive mind...he would certainly take the job because of the sever pay raise and profile

Another good suggestion. It is nuts that Hackett is our OC when he had never been a position coach before.

Another good suggestion. It is nuts that Hackett is our OC when he had never been a position coach before.

The NFL pedigree and family tree is killing Marrone right now, killing him. He has to stop before its too late for him. Go find a college ST coach and a college O coordinator, it could save your job Dougie. Marrone still thinks he is smarter than everyone and learned from Saen Payton, clearly he isnt Sean Payton and clearly he will never recruit well enough to run an NFL system, it's straight lunacy.

I will say this, if he sticks with Hackett and Nassib, it will be his last year at Syracuse, IMO

He's on the verge of something.. what that is I don't know

The conclusion that I've come to is that in order for our offensive system as it stands to be consistently successful we need an NFL level QB, NFL level running back, NFL level wideout, NFL level tight end, and NFL level linemen.

I'm not convinced we've recruited NFL level talent on offense, so I'm very concerned about the offense moving forward.

The conclusion that I've come to is that in order for our offensive system as it stands to be consistently successful we need an NFL level QB, NFL level running back, NFL level wideout, NFL level tight end, and NFL level linemen.

I'm not convinced we've recruited NFL level talent on offense, so I'm very concerned about the offense moving forward.

What would give you that idea? The 3 years of ineptitude. Come on Grotto, we all know Doug needs at least 8 years

What would give you that idea? The 3 years of ineptitude. Come on Grotto, we all know Doug needs at least 8 years
I know IB, 8 years sounds completely reasonable, I guess I'm just starting to lose a little faith because coach forgot to shake my hand at the luncheon last week.

We continue to get burned by Rob Spence. College guy went all in on the bubble screen hoping that would be his ticket to the big time. Turns out that bubble screens are just plays to keep defenses honest, not plays you build around. Marrone is biased towards the NFL approach and he might figure "i've already tried a college guy and he sucked" when really he just needs to chalk it up to a bad hire on short notice.

Lets just hire Tony Franklin and go all out on O. Also let him bring on a disciple because if he has success here he will only last 2-3 seasons.

I think that's the guy who got Tommy Tuberville fired at Auburn.

That was a mess as I recall.

He was but TT fired him after 7 games there. Auburn was 5-2 in those games. After he was fired Auburn went 1-5. TT was one his last legs going into that season and desperate. He never gave Franklin the chance to fully implement the system.

The Franklin situation at Auburn is comparable to the Shaffer situation when he was at Michigan.

He was but TT fired him after 7 games there. Auburn was 5-2 in those games. After he was fired Auburn went 1-5. TT was one his last legs going into that season and desperate. He never gave Franklin the chance to fully implement the system.

Do you think Tony Franklin or somebody else like him can really make Ryan Nassib a better passer/runner? Or Macky a better center or our WRs faster, stronger and more sure-handed?

Do you think Tony Franklin or somebody else like him can really make Ryan Nassib a better passer/runner? Or Macky a better center or our WRs faster, stronger and more sure-handed?

No doubt we need to recruit better which is another issue entirely, I think a case can be made that GROB was recruiting better than Marrone

It was a drastic change to the offense, and something Auburn fans did not like. Went from pro style to option, just like that, kind of a big change for an established HC who had already had success.

SU hasn't had consistent offensive success in quite a long time. And if Syracuse fans don't like the OC, it's like a tree falling in the forest.

Not saying we should hire him, just saying we shouldn't use the Auburn situation as a reason not to.

I think the better question is, could a Tony Franklin type do a better job with an athletic QB than Hackett can? Because the future has athletes at QB.

We have a young set of WRs in Hale, Foster, Kobena, West, maybe Flemming although he's really fallen, couple more coming in for next year. Have to trust that they'll be better and developed properly no matter who our OC is.

OL, kind of like upper said yesterday, we need to know if years of development on the younger guys will mean a better OL than plugging in youth (Macky) with JUCOs. Still think Chibane's development has been a little slow, but what can you do.

IMO given good talent our current system is a lot better than a college system. I think Pitt is a good example of that. However given mediocre or poor talent, our current system is a hindrance. IMO SU will never have good talent across the board on O. We will have talented players at some positions, but we won't have a QB, RBs, WRs, and OL all at the same time. So we need a system that will take the talent we have and make them better. That IMO would be a college system.

Personally I prefer Paul Johnson's system but he seems to be the only one that has had success with it. My second choice would be the RRod system but again he seems like the only one who has had success with it. Same can be said of Urban Myer's system. The only system IMO that has had success at multiple places with multiple coaches running it is the Mumme system.

Your comment reminds me of my Drew Bledsoe revelation.

Back before the talented and beautiful Tom Brady graced us lowly Pats fans with his angelic presence, we had Bledsoe, who at several points in his career was a damn fine NFL QB. But by 2000-ish his performance was slipping and he was feeling a lot of heat. I was a Bledose fan, and I vividly remember arguing with someone "well, if he has a good offensive line, and good running backs, and good receivers and good tight ends, then he can be successful!". And then I realized, no Sherlock, just about any replacement level NFL QB can be "successful" if everyone around him is above average. And I stopped my blind support of Drew Bledsoe.

I feel the same way about our offense. If we have unquestionably great talent at every spot, the O will improve. Well, duh. But that's not going to happen. Even in our salad days we always had a weak link or two. The system has to be able to cover for that, to some meaningful extent.

Your comment reminds me of my Drew Bledsoe revelation.

Back before the talented and beautiful Tom Brady graced us lowly Pats fans with his angelic presence, we had Bledsoe, who at several points in his career was a damn fine NFL QB. But by 2000-ish his performance was slipping and he was feeling a lot of heat. I was a Bledose fan, and I vividly remember arguing with someone "well, if he has a good offensive line, and good running backs, and good receivers and good tight ends, then he can be successful!". And then I realized, no Sherlock, just about any replacement level NFL QB can be "successful" if everyone around him is above average. And I stopped my blind support of Drew Bledsoe.

I feel the same way about our offense. If we have unquestionably great talent at every spot, the O will improve. Well, duh. But that's not going to happen. Even in our salad days we always had a weak link or two. The system has to be able to cover for that, to some meaningful extent.
the factories always have enough talent to cater to their pro style offense bias. we don't have that much in the way of proof that teams like USC would do just fine in a simple college passing offense. but i suspect that's true and doesn't really pertain to us anyway.

even if a college offense is less productive than a pro style offense when you have all the pieces in place, why not cross that bridge when we get there.

IMO given good talent our current system is a lot better than a college system. I think Pitt is a good example of that. However given mediocre or poor talent, our current system is a hindrance. IMO SU will never have good talent across the board on O. We will have talented players at some positions, but we won't have a QB, RBs, WRs, and OL all at the same time. So we need a system that will take the talent we have and make them better. That IMO would be a college system.

Personally I prefer Paul Johnson's system but he seems to be the only one that has had success with it. My second choice would be the RRod system but again he seems like the only one who has had success with it. Same can be said of Urban Myer's system. The only system IMO that has had success at multiple places with multiple coaches running it is the Mumme system.

I think we agree on something.

I would prefer a Paul Johnson type offense.

But I have always liked option football and the running game.

I don't know that we have a QB to run that kind of system, though we have never really seen the other QBs play in game situations.

what is this "o" that you speak of ?

does anyone else have one?

does it make watching fun?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors