Sideline outburst | Syracusefan.com

Sideline outburst

StillJimPA

Walk On
Given the posts regarding " issues need fixing" I am surprised no one has commented on Kobenas sideline out burst. It was very demonstrative. As the blocking on kick offs has not been good resulting in him being shut down I took it has he was really upset about it being in the face of a team mate...flemming.

He was more or less restrained by others. He was still hot on the field shortly afterwards.

If that was what he was complaining about I can't say as I blame him. Any one have any insight about this?

I had seen the same thing. Not really sure who he was after as he even pushed Dorian Graham at one point. At the time I was good with it as I was watching someone who was fired up in the game.

No insight, but he should been told to take a seat until he could get control of himself. He was still hot afterwards.

Kobena is hotheaded. I think it was during the UConn game when he was punching a UConn player trying to get him to drop the ball... :confused:

Kobena is hotheaded. I think it was during the UConn game when he was punching a UConn player trying to get him to drop the ball... :confused:

Yep, it was him. And I am all right with it. He seems to be one of the few that are trying to get people fired up. Now if it leads to a big penalty, then he needs to control it a bit. But for now, keep it up. I like the fire.

Might explain why Flemming is on track to be a career special teamer.

Grham should be the primary kick returner. He's at least as fast, stronger and hits the holes quicker. He's better than Kobena just as he was better than Gulley last year.

Grham should be the primary kick returner. He's at least as fast, stronger and hits the holes quicker. He's better than Kobena just as he was better than Gulley last year.

I agree with this. They're both the same speed I'd say, but Graham is more elusive. Kobena always runs straight, and straight into people...

Actually, the outburst cam after KOBENA got flagged for a dumb personal foul on SU's kickoff. Somebody probably suggested that it wasn't such a smart thing to do...

our 2 best WR of all time had what you could call "anger management" issues, to put it mildly so i'm not too worried about an occassional tantrum. at least nobody died.

What did Kobena do to warrant the pf? If you could, does anyone know all the personal fouls who they were called on and what they did? I couldn't see them or didn't other than the call on the late hit with the qb on the ground which really didn't have to be called.

I think it was Kobema who was jumping around talking trash to the usf players before kickoff. He needs to dial it down.

What did Kobena do to warrant the pf? If you could, does anyone know all the personal fouls who they were called on and what they did? I couldn't see them or didn't other than the call on the late hit with the qb on the ground which really didn't have to be called.

This was the play where the kickoff went out of bounds and Kobena drilled the returner anyway and got flagged 15 on top of the start at the 40. Was an absolute terrible play by Kobena and that's when I think Flemming got in his face. I'm all for guys getting fired up, but don't do it after a god-awful play. I think I have my sequence of events right here, but could be off.

Kobena has had a few AWFUL PF calls... He has killed us at times...

Sounds like Kobena and Hay need to learn how to harness their intensity (Ray Lewis would be a good role model in this regard).

Graham is definitely faster than Kobena.

On two different occasions Saturday, I watched Kobena line up with the KO coverage team while the kicker was setting up. Kobena went forward to jaw with USF player/s, and then step back to his spot. All the time waving his arms and hopping around in a very animated fashion. On one of the ensuing plays, he got tagged for the PF. On the other, he got absolutely popped by a couple of USF blockers. Excitement and enthusiasm are great. But it's not working for him. He needs to shut up and focus.

I do not understand why Graham isn't the exclusive KR. It makes no sense. Kobena runs directly into people. He only runs in straight lines and has showed no agility when he is at top speed.

I do not understand why Graham isn't the exclusive KR. It makes no sense. Kobena runs directly into people. He only runs in straight lines and has showed no agility when he is at top speed.
I agree. Graham is better. Marrone must not want to risk him getting injured on KR duty.

I'm not so sure. I think Graham's experience at KR last year gives him a little bit of an advantage. But Kobena may be just as good -- maybe better, who knows -- with a little more time. Early in the season, Kobena had more success until the USC game, when he was no longer able to run horizontally and get outside. Since that time, he has been trying to keep behind his blockers, and he just hasn't had as much success. He's a work in progress on returns.

I'm not so sure. I think Graham's experience at KR last year gives him a little bit of an advantage. But Kobena may be just as good -- maybe better, who knows -- with a little more time. Early in the season, Kobena had more success until the USC game, when he was no longer able to run horizontally and get outside. Since that time, he has been trying to keep behind his blockers, and he just hasn't had as much success. He's a work in progress on returns.

Ok so while Kobena remains a work in progress, let's give Graham all of the returns. Graham possesses great speed and has shown his ability to cut as he did during his TD return against WVU. Our lack of field position on KO returns isn't doing us any favors.

This was the play where the kickoff went out of bounds and Kobena drilled the returner anyway and got flagged 15 on top of the start at the 40. Was an absolute terrible play by Kobena and that's when I think Flemming got in his face. I'm all for guys getting fired up, but don't do it after a god-awful play. I think I have my sequence of events right here, but could be off.

I think you have the squence correct and I am wrong. Wish I didn't delete the recording but I was so disgusted with game there was no way I could watch it again. As an aside, I have never seen a crowd as subdued as this one. It was like they were sitting politely at a wake. It was really odd to see.

I think you have the squence correct and I am wrong. Wish I didn't delete the recording but I was so disgusted with game there was no way I could watch it again. As an aside, I have never seen a crowd as subdued as this one. It was like they were sitting politely at a wake. It was really odd to see.

No one should have to sit through that again.