Since starting 25-0 in 2013, there have been 141 regular season games | Syracusefan.com

Since starting 25-0 in 2013, there have been 141 regular season games

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
And Syracuse is 83-58 (59% winning percentage). For the average program and without knowing expectations, coaching, or history, that is pretty darn solid. We definitely have been spoiled over the decades (literally) of basketball success. I wonder where this stretch stacks up all time over a similar # of games stretch.

I have no idea where I am going with this, but I felt like doing the math because I was curious.

Also saw we won against Miami 49-44 to kick off acc play in 2013. Must have dislodged that from my memory bank.

And Syracuse is 83-58 (59% winning percentage). For the average program and without knowing expectations, coaching, or history, that is pretty darn solid. We definitely have been spoiled over the decades (literally) of basketball success. I wonder where this stretch stacks up all time over a similar # of games stretch.

I have no idea where I am going with this, but I felt like doing the math because I was curious.

Also saw we won against Miami 49-44 to kick off acc play in 2013. Must have dislodged that from my memory bank.

It's well below JBs career winning %, so you won't find many, if any stretches as bad.

That 25-0 streak had a couple of impressive games like the Nova game Ennis and Cooney were special in.
The Duke game at the Dome where Fair and Grant were special.
Watching that 2014 Duke game we scored the ball so easy thanks to Grant posting and Fair elbow jumper game.

We are Seton Hall with 1 Final Four since we joined the ACC.
Sanctions did hurt depth and recruiting but our future will be determined by the Bigs we recruit.
I really don’t want year 6 for Chukwu.
If

Have we had any NBA talent on the team since?

Sure we got a few guys drafted but they've not done much.

First year in the ACC we had CJ who is as good as anyone not in the NBA along with Ennis (lotto pick) and Jerami (will have a 10 year NBA career.) That team should have had Southerland at the 2 instead of Cooney if we redshirted him his freshman year as well and would have been unstoppable. Also a better big in Rak than anyone who has followed him.

I think people don't appreciate how good our run was 2008-2014 in terms of talent. We all know the 2 best teams lost their center right before the tournament sadly but we were really good that entire time. The key players who didn't get drafted like the aforementioned CJ and James were as good as the guys who did.

I wonder what the record is sans cupcakes
I think the ACC record is only about .500, decidedly middle of the pack. Good first year with Ennis, after that not so much

I watched CJ last night on my other TV when watching Netflix as there was a G league game on at 1030 and it made me wonder if we have had a player as good as him since he left.

I would say no.

I watched CJ last night on my other TV when watching Netflix as there was a G league game on at 1030 and it made me wonder if we have had a player as good as him since he left.

I would say no.
Michael Gbinije was better than CJ Fair.
I also argue Malachi was but I loved CJ Fair again he was a guy who made tough shots and in our offense we need those guys. Plus he was a classy kid.
Fair would be a great 3rd best player on a championship team.

I also argue Malachi was but I loved CJ Fair again he was a guy who made tough shots and in our offense we need those guys. Plus he was a classy kid.

G was not a better small forward than CJ not even close.

If you want to credit him as a very good all around player who was able to switch to starting PG as a senior when it was a gaping hole thats fine but head to head I'm comparing them as 3s and CJ was much better.

Malachi was up and down prior to the tournament. Tournament dominance means a lot. Jr and Sr CJ was the better player than Freshman Mal. Tough to compare different paths CJ was an excellent role player behind K Jo and Dion his first 2 years high end Josh Pace type glue guy who got boards and tough buckets mid range and inside. Then became 'the guy' his last 2 years on 2 excellent teams. He had a great career.

I wonder what the record is sans cupcakes

Do all the other D1 hoops teams not get credit for beating cupcakes?

Also, to the OP - you can't arbitrarily pick a starting spot which just so happens to be after a long winning streak, and not count that streak as part of it.

It's just simple math that the winning % will be much lower, since it was 100% there for those 25 games.

I'm not sure why I'm even replying here, rather than continuing to hit MARK FORUM READ like I usually do for the few days after a hoops loss.

G was not a better small forward than CJ not even close.

If you want to credit him as a very good all around player who was able to switch to starting PG as a senior when it was a gaping hole thats fine but head to head I'm comparing them as 3s and CJ was much better.

Malachi was up and down prior to the tournament. Tournament dominance means a lot. Jr and Sr CJ was the better player than Freshman Mal. Tough to compare different paths CJ was an excellent role player behind K Jo and Dion his first 2 years high end Josh Pace type glue guy who got boards and tough buckets mid range and inside. Then became 'the guy' his last 2 years on 2 excellent teams. He had a great career.

Malachi didn’t really have that great a tournament. He had one good game against Virginia. He was 4-21 combined against Gonzaga and MTSU.

Gbinije, Cooney and Lydon did most of the heavy lifting the first 3 games. For whatever reason each year Malachi’s Virginia game gets blown up more and more.

Last edited:

Malachi shot a worse percentage than Cooney from 3 the year he was here and you think he’s better than Fair?

Malachi shot a worse percentage than Cooney from 3 the year he was here and you think he’s better than Fair?
When Malachi played well he was a force.
He was really good in B4A and preconference games and then had a good game that Sunday night in Virginia which was foreshadowing to the tournament game.

He was a better offensive player he was just a freshman and didn’t stay four years.
I love CJ Fair again he was my favorite player his last 2 Years on the team.
I think Malachi was a more upside player but CJ more way more consistent.

Malachi didn’t stay long enough to better by the numbers.

I think recruiting is and has been the heart of the issue, which isn't hard hitting news to anybody.

We just don't have the talent we're accustomed to. If you had to construct a 'typical' average Syracuse team over the last two decades, or a similar span of time before the program's decline, what would the roster look like? How many minutes would Frank and Oshae play on that team? Would Marek be on the roster? Would we accept Hughes' transfer and play him right away? Would Battle be relied upon to do practically everything for the team on offense? How about Chukwu and Sidibe?

The answers to these questions are obvious to me and the 'secret' of our struggles.

Recruiting looks better going forward. Not dealing with sanctions is a big part of that. There is hope, but be prepared for at least 2 more years of suck.

We haven't had an athlete like Grant since he left, nor a true point guard like Ennis. Recruiting just hasn't been very good. JB can spin it anyway he wants, but our recruiting has dropped since joining the ACC. The more I watch Hughes, the less I see him as an ACC player.

We haven't had an athlete like Grant since he left, nor a true point guard like Ennis. Recruiting just hasn't been very good. JB can spin it anyway he wants, but our recruiting has dropped since joining the ACC. The more I watch Hughes, the less I see him as an ACC player.

If Hughes isn’t an ACC player what’s that say about everyone else. He’s our second best player.

I remember as a kid/teen hearing every few years how JB had just hit x00 wins faster than any coach in history. That was the 80's and maybe into the early 90's before the first sanctions hit. I think he was around a 75% winning percentage then.

I don't think we ever completely recovered from those sanctions. The run we had with recruiting going from Pearl to Douglas to Coleman to Owens along with the other really good players that filled roles was unreal. Even with the MAA's we have had since then, it hasn't been that consistent since.

that's thing with legacy. jb ain't close to winning conference titles or tournaments anymore and he's dragging down his overall winning %. so yeah he likely tacks on a few more wins.
but doing so in the shadow of mediocrity and not greatness. nobody is afeared of syracuse .

Last edited:
Do all the other D1 hoops teams not get credit for beating cupcakes?

Also, to the OP - you can't arbitrarily pick a starting spot which just so happens to be after a long winning streak, and not count that streak as part of it.

It's just simple math that the winning % will be much lower, since it was 100% there for those 25 games.

I'm not sure why I'm even replying here, rather than continuing to hit MARK FORUM READ like I usually do for the few days after a hoops loss.

Yes I can. It’s done all of the time. That’s the record over the last 141 games.

“Since the Carolina panthers started 6-2 they have gone 0-6”. What’s the difference?

Recruiting may not be the best it’s ever been, but everyone on the roster who plays is a 4 star player besides Buddy and Hughes.

Seems like a larger issue than recruiting. The same types of guys JB always won with. Lack of Development more likely.

Recruiting may not be the best it’s ever been, but everyone on the roster who plays is a 4 star player besides Buddy and Hughes.

Seems like a larger issue than recruiting. The same types of guys JB always won with. Lack of Development more likely.
The stars next to the name may be the same but they don't look as talented/skilled as a number of previous players. As a freshman, Hak was a solid player and as a soohomore he had legit skills. Some of that could be development but I think he kist came in better that most of what we've seen lately. Maybe we don't sxout as well as we used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom