Sitting in student section as a non-student | Syracusefan.com

Sitting in student section as a non-student

Jeremy L.

2018 Iggy Regular Season Record Winner
Seems like a dumb question, but how easy/difficult is it to sit in the student section without actually attending the university? Never had the grades to get into Newhouse or the money to go to Syracuse, but I have a friend who goes to Syracuse. Would love to be able to sit in the student section because Oswego hardly has a student section for hockey considering they're D3.

Edit: I'm 22, so I still look like a typical college student lol.

You need a student ticket. You have to be student to buy a student ticket. Having said that, I once sat in the ND student section at a Notre Dame football game when I was in my 40's. But I DID have a student ticket (procured by friends of mine,) I dressed like a student, and I was with some big ND lacrosse players. And, yes, my ND friends made me stand with all the students throughout the entire game.

preseason and during the cupcake schedule there are alot of seats you can move forward and sit in.
I never did beacause I had good seats but it was pretty obvious.

My daughter sat there with a friend of hers who attended SU. She didn't have a student ticket. It can be done (though not necessarily easily).

If you can get a student ticket, it's quite easy. However, with just a regular ticket purchase, it's not simple at all, and requires that you wait for a crowd of people to enter the section at once, enabling you to sneak by without the required wrist bands, and long sleeves certainly help.

I once sat in the ND student section at a Notre Dame football game when I was in my 40's.

CTO, are you one of the people getting lifted up here?

For up to 15 of the home games, shouldn't be a problem. Get there 20 minutes before tip, enter from the floor. Act like you're supposed to be there and take your pick of empty seats.

It's possible that an usher will see that you don't have a wristband (much more likely if you enter from the concourse) and ask you to leave, but they're lenient for most of the games when the section isn't full.

It sounds like you want the fun of sitting with the students. However, last year the students were quite dull-ish during the non BE. And those seats aren't really very good. Come up to 309 and sit in Row C behind me. Those guys are never there during the "off" season. I have a great view.

However, I suspect you want the thrill of sitting with the students during the good games. We have the same usher in our section. If you can trick the usher the first time, and then he/she gets used to seeing your face, it may be more smooth. But the bottom line is that you need to use someone's ticket if you want to get in for a primo ACC game, I would think.

I've never had a hard copy ticket, I've always used my student ID and they load the season tickets onto there, and then just scan it. I'm not familiar with loose/single student tickets, but perhaps Bnoro/BK/Nails can comment on it. Depending on if you need to match a student ID to the loose student ticket it would be the best way to just use someone's hard copy student ticket.

Here's a quote from a 2011-2012 student season ticket page: "As your season ticket will be encoded on your SU or ESF ID card, each eligible student, spouse or dependent must have their own SU ID card for ordering and entry.". I don't know about single game tickets and whether or not they're printed and given to you or if they're loaded onto your ID card. Anyhow, I'm going by the scanning of the student ID cards!

Here's a few different ways Jeremy:

First route:

1). You need a ticket for sure, just buy a basic, cheap ticket if possible (even from a scalper or craigslist, or just buy a cheap one from the box office).

2). You enter the gate with your normal ticket

3). Have 2-3 of your student friends enter the gate, get their wristbands, etc.

4). Have your friends enter the student section and get into some seats.

5). Whatever friend is the type of person to NOT get up and leave during/throughout the entire game to do anything (me, for example) have him/her either slip off his wristband or just simply rip it off. If he/she has to rip it off, make sure they don't just tear the thing off, just break the one notch of the wristband slightly or stretch it out.

6). Have a friend with a wristband put this broken wristband in their pocket, meet up with him/her, and put the wristband on. When you go to show the student section ushers just make sure that the broken part of the wristband isn't visible to them. If the friend needs the wristband back, just give it back to them. Just be sure not to exit/enter the student section again.

*Notes:

Make sure you have reconnect the wristband correctly and also try to make sure your friend didn't tear it apart. If they did, just make sure you're wearing a long sleeve shirt/hoodie and try to tuck the one end in and flash the usher the good side.

If a girl can gives you her wristband/slips it off just break it apart and reconnect it at a different notch after ripping/stretching it. Unless you have sleek wrists.

Route 2:

1a). You need a student ticket. If you're really serious about it, you can get someone to buy a season student ticket for basketball/football who has no interest in using it, but you'd need to be really good friends with this person. The reason why you need a really good friend to do this is because you need a student ID in order to enter the gate for every game. The students/workers who take the student ID cards and scan them do not look at the student IDs when they scan them. So, as long as you have another male's ID (if they do happen to glance at it), you should be fine. (As I previously mentioned in the beginning of the post, if loose tickets are a possibility, use this method, but find out if they match the student ticket to a student ID).

1b). You can obviously do this for a single game, but the single game tickets are really expensive. Either way, if you find a friend who would trust you with their student ID either once, or over and over again, that'd be ideal!

2). That's basically it for this route. You can just go and sit in your assigned wristband section and you're good to go.

I would suggest going with the slipping/ripping of the wristband method. It's really easy and only takes a few minutes total to have them give you one of their wristbands.

As others have mentioned as well, you can sneak into there through the floor as well, but the wristband method is 99.9999% fool proof!

It sounds like you want the fun of sitting with the students. However, last year the students were quite dull-ish during the non BE. And those seats aren't really very good. Come up to 309 and sit in Row C behind me. Those guys are never there during the "off" season. I have a great view.

However, I suspect you want the thrill of sitting with the students during the good games. We have the same usher in our section. If you can trick the usher the first time, and then he/she gets used to seeing your face, it may be more smooth. But the bottom line is that you need to use someone's ticket if you want to get in for a primo ACC game, I would think.

Exactly. I usually sit in Section 214 with my father and grandmother and that section is filled with mostly elder people who don't like when you stand and cheer. Never got to experience a student section like Syracuse because I attend Oswego, this is something I'd love to be able to do.

The one trick I've always heard is make sure you go with two other people. Those two people go to the seats, one of them comes back up to the concourse with both tickets and hands you one of them. Then you walk down together. The wristband thing makes it sound difficult.