Slam Dunk to the Beach | Syracusefan.com

Slam Dunk to the Beach

JoeSU

All American
At one time this was one of the premier HS tournaments in the country, and featured such future stars as LeBron James, Dwight Howard and Carmelo Anthony. The tourney disappeared in 2004 amid allegations of impropriety involving the the director Bobby Jacobs. It was resurrected last year, and this year features 5 of the top 50 teams in the country, including Bishop McNamara (MD), Christ the King (NY), La Lumiere School (IN), Roman Catholic (Philly), Paul VI (VA), St. Benedicts (NJ- Tyler Ennis' alma mater), Neumann & Goretti (Philly - featuring SU target Quade Green), St. Raymond (NY), and Westtown (PA- featuring SU targets Mohammed Bamba and Cameron Reddish).

If anyone is headed down to catch some HS hoops over the holidays, I live in Lewes and would be happy to offer suggestions for hotels & restaurants and maybe even meet you for a beer.

Last edited:
I live in northern Delaware. If some of you go, I'll try to join you for a meetup and at least a day of hoops.

Bobby Jacobs was a real piece of work. He had a state job, but he virtually never worked at it. He was always in Legislative Hall, handing out perks to the legislators (I worked there for 23 years) more or less in exchange for state funding for the tourney. Whole thing seemed hinky from the beginning. Turned out that it was in fact, pretty sordid, as was Jacobs.

BTW, here's the back story on Jacobs who, surprise, was siphoning $$'s from the tourney coffers, was not following through on promised scholarships, was stiffing the workers and contractors, and then became a fugitive:

http://philaphans.com/community/ind...lam-dunk-to-the-beach-link-is-worth-clicking/

Last edited: