Sleepy Floyd | Syracusefan.com

Sleepy Floyd

stuckinbig11

All American
My son is the Faculty Athletic Rep for UNC-Asheville. He had an invite to attend a talk by Sleepy Floyd tonight and asked me if I wanted to go. I told him that I had no interest in hearing what a Georgetown player had to say. He just called and told me that he spoke with Floyd afterwards and told him my comment. Floyd laughed and laughed. Apparently, he works with a Syracuse grad, and they have an ongoing bet that the loser of the SU-GT game has to wear the other team's shirt the next day, and he has worn an SU shirt many times.

My son is the Faculty Athletic Rep for UNC-Asheville. He had an invite to attend a talk by Sleepy Floyd tonight and asked me if I wanted to go. I told him that I had no interest in hearing what a Georgetown player had to say. He just called and told me that he spoke with Floyd afterwards and told him my comment. Floyd laughed and laughed. Apparently, he works with a Syracuse grad, and they have an ongoing bet that the loser of the SU-GT game has to wear the other team's shirt the next day, and he has worn an SU shirt many times.

Does he still go by the name "Sleepy"?

Has to be my favorite Hoya, Patrick 2nd. Love to hate those dudes. But I also associate his name with Michelle munn. I was at that game and 40+ years later can still hear the hush over the dome as she crashed to the floor. Happy to see she gave an update to the press about 18 months ago, she has 6 grandchildren now. That's a relief.

Sleepy was that quintessential small forward, do it all baller. In the mold of alot of the Cuse greats. Nice to see he has a sense of humor about it all, and that he's still doing well.

I'm feeling sleepy, it's bedtime, and Georgetown still sucks

Add Michael Graham, Reggie Williams, Perry McDonald, Ronnie Highsmith (the 28 year old dude from the Army) and Gene Banks.
Ed Spriggs was 26 as a freshman at Georgetown, 30 when he left. He never played high school ball and was working at the post office when he was recruited to G-town.

Ed Spriggs was 26 as a freshman at Georgetown, 30 when he left. He never played high school ball and was working at the post office when he was recruited to G-town.
Do you think they modified their typical admissions standards?

There's a reason we thought of them as the prison team. They had some grown ass men, as they say.

His game against the Lakers in I wanna say 87 playoffs is one of the great games in history. 29 in a quarter and I think 50 total. 6'3" guy who could shoot and handle, and facilitate as he garnered some assists too.

buddy of mine grew up near him in Carolina (Gastonia).

Does he still go by the name "Sleepy"?
That was just the coach's cover story.
In reality he may have been collecting Social Security.
The guy had a grey beard and resided in an assisted living dorm.

There's a reason we thought of them as the prison team. They had some grown ass men, as they say.
When I was in law school in 1980 I bought seasons to sit with the folks. Season ticket holder next to me a grown woman says Gtown is a historically black school. After I laughed I advised that having lived in DC prior to law school, the school was lily white but for the hoop team and some track guys. I gave her the whole Thompson story. She was shocked.

Do you think they modified their typical admissions standards?
I always wondered if Spriggs type scenario etc along with recorded grad rates of just 20% for student athletes back then, was the impetus for the creation of prop 48 in 1983 where eligibility was based on 16 core courses, and high school GPA and SAT scores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom