Slightly OT: compression sleeves and leggings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Slightly OT: compression sleeves and leggings

I approve of Yoga pants

for women!
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I always figured the leggings were to allow players to slide on the floor when knocked down instead of skidding and get skin abrasions.

I suppose the arm ones would provide similar protection, but think they are more for show.

It wasn’t an observation and it wasn’t a question; it was your personal judgmental comment. And that is OK, but own it.

And no need to worry, I am chilled and relaxed
No different than you making a personal judgment that it was weird to make a post about it… i think it brings out a nice variety of perspectives.

Yes, I think it’s ridiculous that grown men and boys are wearing glorified spandex and passing it off as a health benefit. Women of a certain age and size look good in yoga pants and spandex. Some ladies look too good. Everyone else is too caught up with fashion trends and looks. Not much different than the baggy shorts that were all the rage during the Johnny Flynn years. I blame whoever is in the Nike marketing department.

Last edited:
No different than you making a personal judgment that it was weird to make a post about it… i think it brings out a nice variety of perspectives.

Yes, I think it’s ridiculous that grown men and boys are wearing glorified spandex and passing it off as a health benefit. Women of a certain age and size look good in yoga pants and spandex. Some ladies look too good. Everyone else is too caught up with fashion trends and looks. Not much different than the baggy shorts that were all the rage during the Johnny Flynn years. I blame whoever is in the Nike marketing department.
Excellent! You owned it just like you did in your opening post. Good to see.

But it is not just fashion. There are benefits.

And spandex. It is a privilege, not a right.

I'm sure it's partly fashion, but there are some medical benefits. Compression pants can increase blood circulation and mitigate muscle soreness. I like to wear them when I work out.
They also help keep your legs warm, especially important when you are put into a game midway through and are expected to contribute immediately.

Pretty much every player has fallen in line and includes this in their basketball wardrobe. Can someone tell me that this serves a function that helps a player's performance?

It just screams fashion statement and looks, frankly, ridiculous. I think it signals a big problem when grown men have to spend more time self-decorating and getting ready for a game than a high school girl before she goes out with her friends.

Is this all NIKE's doing? Someone please make it stop.
I've seen some info indicating it can reduce muscle fatigue. I would guess the benefit is minimal.

Pretty much every player has fallen in line and includes this in their basketball wardrobe. Can someone tell me that this serves a function that helps a player's performance?

It just screams fashion statement and looks, frankly, ridiculous. I think it signals a big problem when grown men have to spend more time self-decorating and getting ready for a game than a high school girl before she goes out with her friends.

Is this all NIKE's doing? Someone please make it stop.

I wear compression socks for my foot neuropathy, and have worn them for arm, knee and ankle pain from time to time.

They do work. They improve circulation to the area, which aids in oxygen transport (avoiding lactic acid build-up), and the pressure triggers nerves and muscles to fire, which works kind of like how you stand up to put weight on your leg or foot sometimes to alleviate a cramp.

In a way, it's kind of like how deep tissue massage works. But they totally oversell the benefits in these ads. It's helpful, but it's not a miracle cure.

I always figured the leggings were to allow players to slide on the floor when knocked down instead of skidding and get skin abrasions.

I suppose the arm ones would provide similar protection, but think they are more for show.

The sleeves that some of them wear are padded, so those might not be for compression. I'm starting to see soccer players wearing shorts beneath their uniforms with padding on the thighs, tailbone or glutes for impact and falls (and getting kneed by the defender).

These padded sleeves are not that different from wearing pads inserted inside your football pants, like we used to have back in the day - knee, thigh and tailbone.

I hate the restricted feeling of any of these types of adornments when I’m playing sports. I realize the advancements in tech allow for there to be no restriction but just the “feeling” of restriction is enough for me to pass

I think it signals a big problem when grown men have to spend more time self-decorating and getting ready for a game than a high school girl before she goes out with her friends.
In other words, “act like a man…sniff…grunt…”

Probably KT tape. It’s an elastic tape meant to pull the skin away from the muscle/ligament/tendon, usually for soreness or mild sprains/strains. It’s an idea. Its usefulness is up for debate. It’s primary benefit in my experiences is as a mental trigger.
I do quite a bit of distance running, and its wild how much KT tape can help shin splits and plantar fasciitis

I'm with OP. Just another affectation in a weirdly affected culture. Short shorts, compression sleeves, coaches dressed like athleisure slobs, it's a strange sartorial time.