Slightly OT: compression sleeves and leggings | Syracusefan.com

Slightly OT: compression sleeves and leggings

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
Pretty much every player has fallen in line and includes this in their basketball wardrobe. Can someone tell me that this serves a function that helps a player's performance?

It just screams fashion statement and looks, frankly, ridiculous. I think it signals a big problem when grown men have to spend more time self-decorating and getting ready for a game than a high school girl before she goes out with her friends.

Is this all NIKE's doing? Someone please make it stop.

Pretty much every player has fallen in line and includes this in their basketball wardrobe. Can someone tell me that this serves a function that helps a player's performance?

It just screams fashion statement and looks, frankly, ridiculous. I think it signals a big problem when grown men have to spend more time self-decorating and getting ready for a game than a high school girl before she goes out with her friends.

Really weird thing to care about

Oh, so that's what they are! I thought they were yoga pants. My mistake.

I'm sure it's partly fashion, but there are some medical benefits. Compression pants can increase blood circulation and mitigate muscle soreness. I like to wear them when I work out.

No idea about the fashion aspect but, functionally, they work amazing.

Compression leggings: I run long distance for fun. Knees, shins, calves feel so much better during and after when I wear compression leggings under my pants

Elbow sleeve. At the ripe age of 40, I finally got my elbow looked at after years of dealing with soreness and was told I have an arthritic elbow (dominant arm). Wearing a sleeve over it when playing basketball helps a ton with soreness and I no longer feel throbbing after shooting hoops.

I'm in my 50s and I wear compression shirts and leggins(although I never call them that) all the time when working outside even in the summer. The material is moisture wicking, provides added warmth and it just all around makes you feel better. These aint your grampas long johns

i see a player last night with 2 strips from his shoulder to his elbow. don't get what that does.

There's lots of medical benefits, as others have said. It's not a fashion statement (for most). Started out in the training community and has spread.

It’s mostly for show. Like Eric15 said, there are some medical benefits (compression increase blood flow) but for D1 and pro athletes, those benefits are probably miniscule. They don’t have blood flow problems. The sedentary grandma who needs circulation around her feet would see more benefit from compression socks than an athlete would, for example.

It’s a mental thing more than a physical thing, imo. Feel good, play good. Whether part of the feeling good comes from the actual physical attributes of the compression sleeves, shorts, shirts, etc. or from looking good (in the athlete’s opinion) is ultimately inconsequential.

Baseball players come to mind in the extreme with this type of thing, for me. They like to throw on all kinds of necklaces and eye black. The difference is that those probably don’t do anything beneficial, but they like the look so they rock it. More power to them.

Compression stuff is more in line with KT tape and cupping. Potentially beneficial in small ways, but mostly to look cool/different. Eventually, everybody uses them and players have to find new ways to look cool/different. The fact that they have some basis in performance improvement is the justification for it.

i see a player last night with 2 strips from his shoulder to his elbow. don't get what that does.

Probably KT tape. It’s an elastic tape meant to pull the skin away from the muscle/ligament/tendon, usually for soreness or mild sprains/strains. It’s an idea. Its usefulness is up for debate. It’s primary benefit in my experiences is as a mental trigger.

It’s mostly for show. Like Eric15 said, there are some medical benefits (compression increase blood flow) but for D1 and pro athletes, those benefits are probably miniscule. They don’t have blood flow problems. The sedentary grandma who needs circulation around her feet would see more benefit from compression socks than an athlete would, for example.

It’s a mental thing more than a physical thing, imo. Feel good, play good. Whether part of the feeling good comes from the actual physical attributes of the compression sleeves, shorts, shirts, etc. or from looking good (in the athlete’s opinion) is ultimately inconsequential.

Baseball players come to mind in the extreme with this type of thing, for me. They like to throw on all kinds of necklaces and eye black. The difference is that those probably don’t do anything beneficial, but they like the look so they rock it. More power to them.

Compression stuff is more in line with KT tape and cupping. Potentially beneficial in small ways, but mostly to look cool/different. Eventually, everybody uses them and players have to find new ways to look cool/different. The fact that they have some basis in performance improvement is the justification for it.
I miss the 80s when all we complained about was short shorts.

There's lots of medical benefits, as others have said. It's not a fashion statement (for most). Started out in the training community and has spread.
It's 100% a fashion statement for most. Unless the medical benefits of wearing leggings and arm sleeves have made leaps and bounds since my college ball days.

One of the best pieces of medical advice my former primary care MD gave me was to start wearing compression socks. My legs feel mucho better after I put them on each day.

The sedentary grandma who needs circulation around her feet would see more benefit from compression socks than an athlete would, for example.
8k6f0n.jpg

It’s just an observation. Relax brother.
It wasn’t an observation and it wasn’t a question; it was your personal judgmental comment. And that is OK, but own it.

And no need to worry, I am chilled and relaxed